Monday Movie Meme – Politics

Feature Presentation…All About Politics
Visit The Bumbles for other selections
I do take an active interest in politics and I actually like discussing it with people who are not so convinced that their view is  the only possible correct one.  I mean, come one, if one party was always right they would never get voted out of office!  I could go on, but the reason I don’t really talk about politics here is because people seem to get so crazy (and yes, sometimes that person is me!).  So, talking political movies is a great alternative.  Here are a few of my favorite political movies…

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) – Isn’t Jimmy Stewart the politician we all want on our side?

State of the Union (1946) – Spencer Tracy as the businessman turned politician shows us that the bought and paid for politician is not a new phenomenon.

All the President’s Men (1976) – Two reporters doing their job at great peril.  Who is Deep Throat and how cool of a name is that?

Hotel Rwanda (2004) – A cautionary tale that no matter how mad our politicians may make us we are still blessed.

And for a lighter selection…Protocol (1984) – Goldie Hawn as the clueless politician really made me laugh.

14 thoughts on “Monday Movie Meme – Politics

1. Jo-Jo says:

Great picks! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen the Spencer Tracy movie. Hotel Rwanda was sure an eye opener though. Sometime in April is movie based on the same time period that was also very good. I think it was an HBO movie.

2. StephanieD says:

One “political” movie I thought was really clever was Wag the Dog with Dustin Hoffman, about a manufactured war with a manufactured country, all to distract the American people from the president’s scandal.

• stacybuckeye says:

Everyone seems to like that one. I know I saw it, but it must not have made much of an impression on me because I remember little about it. Maybe I should take another look.

3. Susan says:

Great choices, Stacy! I’ve actually never seen Hotel Rwanda or State of the Union, so I need to add them to the queue. You’re right about one thing…corruption has always been a big part of politics and I’m afraid it always will be.

4. The Gal Herself says:

State of the Union! Haven’t seen that one in forever! When people mention the films of Tracy/Hepburn, this movie is seldom included. Which is too bad. I recall it as being very adult. Great inclusion.

5. Bumbles says:

Hotel Rwanda was such a frustrating movie for me. I’m glad it was made and the performance by Don Cheadle was amazing. But it just is so, so, so maddening.

The Last King of Scotland is another one like that for me. Political power can be soooo dangerous – although Tolstoy might debate me on who’s really in the position of power ;0)