Eloisa James from Shakespeare professor to romance writer

Mary Bly, the daughter of an award-winning poet and short story writer, spent her childhood writing plays that she and her siblings acted out for their parents.  There wasn’t a television in the house, but there were books, lots of books.  She great up, went to Harvard, became a professor teaching about Shakespeare at Fordham University in New York, and then started writing historical romances.

I’ve read a few of her books and really liked them and I was happy to make the 30 minute drive to hear her speak.  Some authors at these events speak for a few minutes and then hope for questions.  Mary spoke for over 30 minutes and then spent another 30 answering questions, including how her husband proposed.  She was so comfortable, from her years as a professor no doubt.

She talked about her book, How Beauty Tamed the Beast, and how the Beast was based on Dr. House from the House MD TV show.  She read through seven years of scripts so that she could get him just right.  As a fan of House I bought the book that night and am halfway through.  She has made House into a romantic hero, no doubt.  According to her websiteKindle, NookGoogle Play and Kindle CA. are all offering the book for 99 cents just for today.  Buy it!

Also on her site is a clip of her when she came to speak. It was on the local news and there are glimpses of me. I’m famous!

She gave us beautiful recipe cards from the time periods of her books and I have a set to give away. If you like to cook or are an Eloisa James fan leave a comment and I’ll send them your way.

Don’t you just love her shoes?

March 20, 2017 - Posted by | Book signings

1. Don’t you just love author events? Especially when the author is so warm and engaging.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | March 20, 2017 | Reply

• Yes, she was so smart and entertaining.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 20, 2017 | Reply

2. How fun! Sounds like a wonderful event. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Mary | March 20, 2017 | Reply

3. That sounds like so much fun! You’ve been famous to me for years!

Comment by BermudaOnion | March 20, 2017 | Reply

4. This sounds like such a great event. It sounds like she really made it worth your time to go. I haven’t read anything by her before, but her Fairy Tale series is very tempting to try!

Comment by Literary Feline | March 22, 2017 | Reply

• She was a great speaker and very warm when meeting everybody, taking her time to actually converse with people instead of just signing her name and sending them off with a smile 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 28, 2017 | Reply

5. […] I heard Eloisa James say that she had read 7 years worth of House MD scripts to get the character of H…, I knew I would love this one.  The classic tale of Beauty and the Beast is a timely one one right […]

Pingback by When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James « Stacy's Books | March 28, 2017 | Reply