My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout

Title: My Name Is Lucy Barton, Author: Elizabeth StroutMy name is Lucy Barton. Finished 2-25-17, rating 3.75/5, fiction, pub. 2016

Unabridged audio read by Kimberly Farr

Lucy Barton is recovering slowly from what should have been a simple operation. Her mother, to whom she hasn’t spoken for many years, comes to see her. Gentle gossip about people from Lucy’s childhood in Amgash, Illinois, seems to reconnect them, but just below the surface lies the tension and longing that have informed every aspect of Lucy’s life: her escape from her troubled family, her desire to become a writer, her marriage, her love for her two daughters.  from Goodreads

I was going to wait to write about this one until after our book club meeting, but since it’s been postponed until June I think I’ll go ahead before I forget about it completely.  I listened to this short book and it was okay.  The writing was great and the mother-daughter relationship at the center was complex and interesting.  The mother was infuriating and I was hoping that Lucy would stand up to her, but as is the case in most parental relationships, they are fraught with landmines that one or both parties would just like to avoid.  This made Lucy a weaker character that she might have been if the story had been told just from the point of view of her escaping her poverty-stricken childhood.

It did feel disjointed, jumping from here to there, with nothing much going on, but then by the end all of the little paths merged into something quite complete.  I did like it, but I’m not sure I’ll be reading more from the author.

March 22, 2017 - Posted by | 4 Star Books

1. I see mixed reviews about this author’s work so I’ve avoided it. I think it might be too “smart” for me.

Comment by BermudaOnion | March 22, 2017 | Reply

• Nah, I don’t think it’s too smart for you. 🙂

Comment by Leslie | March 22, 2017 | Reply

• I agree with Leslie 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2017

2. This is exactly how I felt about this book. I sort of liked it but I couldn’t really get into it. In the end it was just blah for me.

Comment by Leslie | March 22, 2017 | Reply

3. This is one I have been really wanting to read for some time now. I’m sorry it wasn’t better for you, Stacy.

Comment by Literary Feline | March 22, 2017 | Reply

• It’s short and I did end up liking it so it wasn’t a complete loss. Maybe after we discuss it at book club I’ll like it better, haha.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 28, 2017 | Reply

4. Sorry this one didn’t wow you Stacy, I really liked it a lot.

Comment by Diane | March 23, 2017 | Reply

• I ended up liking it by the end but it took me so long to get there.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 28, 2017 | Reply

5. This author has been hit or miss for me as well. I did like this book better than the previous one.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | March 23, 2017 | Reply