My favorite love stories

I grew up reading romances. I started with the teen romances of the 80’s, moved on to Harlequin, and then to the full-fledged romances for big kids.  I earned a degree in English Ed with lots of classic reading for classes so my weekend historical romance reading was relaxing.  Here are a few of the love stories that have stuck with me.

Books

1-Jamie and Claire from the Outlander series.  Although I am woefully behind in the series I love this couple so much.

2-Rochester and Jane. They became my first classic love story and I love them still.  I watched a bunch of the Jane Eyre films a few years ago and Timothy Dalton was my favorite Rochester.

3-Darcy and Elizabeth from Pride & Prejudice and Anne and Wentworth from Persuasion are the two Jane Austen couples I love the most.

4-Almost Heaven (historical) and Paradise (contemporary) are two oldie but goodies from Judith McNaught.  I’ve read all of her books, many multiple times.  I wish she was still writing!

5-I remember reading so many of Jude Deveraux’s historicals as a teen, but A Knight in Shining Armor still stands out for me.

A few honorable mentions – Francesca and Calder from Brenda Joyce’s Deadly series and the authors Susanna Kearsley,  Deborah Smith, Kristan Higgins and Eloisa James are consistently good.

Movies

1-CK Dexter Haven and Tracy Lord from A Philadelphia Story.  I loved the maturity and reality of their relationship.  Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart were superb.

2-Harry and Sally. Loved the movie and Billy and Meg in the lead. When Harry Met Sally remains a favorite.

3-Lucy, Jack, Peter and family all won me over in While You Were Sleeping.

4-Colin, Bridget and Hugh made Bridget Jones’s Diary a treat to watch. That last scene gets me every time 🙂

5-Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable make a memorable couple in the classic It Happened One Night.

So tell me.  Who are your favorite couples in books and film?

February 14, 2017 - Posted by | lists

1. I haven’t read any of the romances that you’ve listed. But I have seen When Harry Met Sally, While You Were Sleeping, and Bridget Jones’ Diary and liked all of them, especially Harry/Sally. I know that I have both movie and book romances that stood out for me. Unfortunately, none of them come to mind at the moment!

Comment by Lloyd Russell | February 14, 2017 | Reply

• I thought the list would be easy since I have a top100 list of fave books and movies, but the ones that truly stand out were more difficult than I thought they would be.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 15, 2017 | Reply

2. Love a lot of your favorites too. I want to read the Judith McNaught novels and see if I still love them today.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | February 14, 2017 | Reply

• I might try to reread one this year. Why did she quit writing? 😦

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 15, 2017 | Reply

3. I love When Harry Met Sally!

Comment by BermudaOnion | February 14, 2017 | Reply

• I’ve seen it many times but none lately. Love it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 15, 2017 | Reply

4. Darcy and Lizzie and Ann and wentworth are my two fave Austen couples too. Jane Eyre is my all time favorite book period. I fell in love as a teenager and it continues to stay relevant for me. I try to reread Jane Eyre every two or three years.

While You Were Sleeping and Mirror Has Two Faces were my faves as a teen. French Kiss too. I loved Meg back in the day.

I’ve never been a big romance fan so I may have to look into some of those to try them out! Great post. ❤

Comment by hmsgofita | February 14, 2017 | Reply

• I liked French Kiss but didn’t love it. I need to see Mirror Has Two Faces! Streisand right?

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 15, 2017 | Reply

5. Oh, this was fun! I had totally forgotten A KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR! I loved that one. Need to see if my library has a copy. And if it would still be as fun. I love a few of Julie Garwood’s older historicals, especially THE SECRET and SAVING GRACE. As to movies, While You Were Sleeping is still a favorite as is Bridget Jones – I agree about that last scene. And When Harry Met Sally – remember the scene in diner where the lady at the next table says ‘I’ll have what she’s having…’! LOL

Comment by Kay | February 15, 2017 | Reply

• I’ve been thinking about rereading A Knight in Shining Armor too, No idea if it would hold up by today’s standards. I think I read Garwood back in the day but nothing recently. I’m going to look for those two!

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 16, 2017 | Reply

6. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels of all time, although I admit to not being a big fan of Rochester’s. I do adore Elizabeth and Darcy though from Pride and Prejudice, another favorite of mine.When Harry Met Sally is my husband’s favorite movie (that and The Princess Bride). It’s a great film! Great list, Stacy!

Comment by Literary Feline (Wendy) | February 15, 2017 | Reply

• The Princess Bride is a real manly romance even though women love it too, lol. I’m due for a Jane Eyre reread. It’s been too long.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 16, 2017 | Reply

7. Getting to this a little late, but your list resonates with me. I like every one. I would add the movie Kate and Leopold with Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman, and the book Gone with the Wind.

Comment by Rosemary Wolfe, NoChargeBookbunch | February 17, 2017 | Reply

• Gone With the Wind is on my list for the Classics Club so I’m hoping to get to it in the next year or so. I did love Kate & Leopold. Such a fun and romantic movie.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 17, 2017 | Reply