The Dinner by Herman Koch

Title: The Dinner, Author: Herman KochThe Dinner. Finished 2-14-17, rating 4/5, pub. 2013

Unabridged audio read by Clive Mantle. 9 hours.

A summer’s evening in Amsterdam and two couples meet at a fashionable restaurant. Between mouthfuls of food and over the delicate scraping of cutlery, the conversation remains a gentle hum of politeness – the banality of work, the triviality of holidays. But the empty words hide a terrible conflict and, with every forced smile and every new course, the knives are being sharpened… Each couple has a fifteen-year-old son. As the dinner reaches its culinary climax, the conversation finally touches on their children and, as civility and friendship disintegrate, each couple shows just how far they are prepared to go to protect those they love.       from Goodreads

This is one of those books that the less you know the better so I’m not going to spoil any more than the description from Goodreads, and even that I deleted a few sentences. Amsterdam at an expensive restaurant, brothers and their wives, testy relationships put to the test.  It was…different.  Thought provoking, yes.  Enjoyable, sorta.  Recommended, if unlikeable characters are your thing.

I’m so glad that I listened to the audio. Mantle really sold Paul and elevated the story with his performance.

The movie featuring Richard Gere and Laura Linney is coming out in May!

February 16, 2017 - Posted by | Uncategorized

1. Not sure I’ll read it but with Gere and Linney starring I might see the film.

Comment by Mary | February 16, 2017 | Reply

2. Jim read this and liked it, but he doesn’t mind unlikeable people at all, whereas I can’t stand unlikeable people, so to speak! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | February 16, 2017 | Reply

3. I need a new book from Audible – maybe I’ll give this one a try. It sounds good!

Comment by BermudaOnion | February 16, 2017 | Reply

4. I heard of several people that really liked this one, even with unlikeable characters. I keep seeing it on the library shelf. Need to pick it up.

Comment by Kay | February 16, 2017 | Reply

5. I realized that unlikeable characters are not my thing at all and I always rate lower, I just can’t get with it. I am ok if I have strong memorable feelings but just unlikeable doesn’t do it for me. I have considered this one in the passed and realized many were not saying much, hmmmm.

Comment by Tea Time with Marce | February 16, 2017 | Reply

6. Loved this one in print but bet audio was fab.

Comment by Diane | February 16, 2017 | Reply

7. Piques my interest. Enough to read it? Tough to say.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | February 16, 2017 | Reply

8. I am not sure if I have this on my TBR pile, but if it’s not there it is on my wish list. I am glad you liked this one Stacy!

Comment by Literary Feline (Wendy) | February 16, 2017 | Reply

9. What a book to finish on Valentine’s Day. I read it awhile ago when it first came out and still remember. I didn’t know about the movie – will look for it – thanks.

Comment by Rosemary Wolfe, NoChargeBookbunch | February 16, 2017 | Reply

10. I read it a couple years ago for book club. It was a good discussion book. Very interesting, kind of wants you to smack a couple parents, eh?

Comment by The Many Thoughts of a Reader | February 17, 2017 | Reply

11. I agree, go into this book without knowing much. I was a good read for me and not sure why I didn’t listen on audio. I did not know it was going to be a future movie.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | February 20, 2017 | Reply