Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben

Title: Fool Me Once (Signed Book), Author: Harlan CobenFool Me Once. Finished 4-17-16, rating 4.5/5, thriller, 390 pages, pub. 2016

Former special ops pilot Maya, home from the war, sees an unthinkable image captured by her nanny cam while she is at work: her two-year-old daughter playing with Maya’s husband, Joe—who had been brutally murdered two weeks earlier. The provocative question at the heart of the mystery: Can you believe everything you see with your own eyes, even when you desperately want to? To find the answer, Maya must finally come to terms with deep secrets and deceit in her own past before she can face the unbelievable truth about her husband—and herself.       from Goodreads

I’ve long been a Harlan Coben fan and have read all of his books, his Myron Bolitar series being some of my favorites. Coben likes to twist and turn and have smart, quick-witted characters, so it’s easy to be a fan. His standalones are always fast pasted, current, and good, but not always memorable.  This isn’t a bad thing, there are many, many books I don’t remember, but it was nice that this one had that extra something that will make me remember it for years to come.

Maya was a tough cookie. She saw and did unspeakable things in service of her country and she paid dearly for every choice she made.  She was a new mom but didn’t seem all that motherly. She was newly widowed but didn’t seem all that broken. She was facing public shame yet seemed unbowed.  She was an interesting character and I kept wanting to know more about what made her tick.

As the police search for a killer and a whistle-blower threatens more public outrage directed toward her, Maya sees her dead husband on the nanny-cam.  Debilitated by war-time nightmares but with a good friend by her side she tries to figure out what is going on and to stay one step ahead of the police.  Oh, and she needs to keep an eye on her niece and nephew who are living with their heavy drinking father.

I hear it’s been optioned for a film and I think it would be a great one.  Not my favorite Coben, but it’s definitely one of his better ones.

May 3, 2016 - Posted by | Uncategorized

1. I almost agree with you completely. It actually is my favorite standalone of his. But your 4.5/5 is still obviously a great rating. And you’re right about the book being optioned as a movie. Julia Roberts has purchased it and will star as Maya. I can definitely see her in that role.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | May 3, 2016 | Reply

• By the time they get around to making the movie she may be a little too old for it!

Comment by stacybuckeye | May 10, 2016 | Reply

2. I need more Coben in my life!

Comment by BermudaOnion | May 3, 2016 | Reply

3. I haven’t read a book like this in a long time. It sounds really good, and I’m glad Roberts will play Maya.

Comment by Vicki | May 3, 2016 | Reply

• I find my reading slows down when I don’ make time for thrillers and romances 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | May 10, 2016 | Reply

4. I think I’ve only read one or two of his. Honestly, there sounds like too many kids in this one for me to read. For some reason, in general i like my mysteries and thrillers kid-free.

Comment by Carol | May 3, 2016 | Reply

• That’s interesting about the kids! I’ve never really thought about it. The kids in this one are a part of the story but not the story, you know?

Comment by stacybuckeye | May 10, 2016 | Reply

• Yeah, I don’t know. It’s just they either seem like a distraction from the story or I don’t like them being in the danger they’re placed in for plot reasons. Come to think about it, I prefer no kids in my romances too. Maybe I just don’t like kids?

Comment by Carol | May 11, 2016

• lol

Comment by stacybuckeye | May 11, 2016

5. Looking forward to this one!

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | May 3, 2016 | Reply

6. l’m listening to this book on youtube. It’s very good and it’s a free audio book. I am having trouble with my vision so I enjoy audio books. I’m enjoying your blog. Your picture at the to is covering up some of your info.

Comment by dtbrents | May 6, 2016 | Reply

7. […] &  Fool Me Once – both by Harlan Coben. He’s my go to guy for unputdownable books and he didn’t […]

Pingback by End of the Year Survey « Stacy's Books | December 27, 2016 | Reply