Traveling the States with Gage – Ohio

Gage goes to school Monday-Thursday and mornings are a time he usually is willing and wanting to learn a little, so I decided to start doing a little state work each three-day weekend.  We, of course, started with Ohio.

I decided to use this new series I found at the library.  We started by reading through the book and then I chose some things that were in there to do 5-10 minute activities over the three days.  My goal is really just two activities  for each of the three days and then two books, this one and one more picture book.

Here’s what we did

IMG_2483[1]

1. Traced the state and marked the capital with a star and added some glitter glue.  Also wrote the name on the state.

2. Used the book to figure out how to color the state flag, the buckeyes, and state flower a red carnation.

3. Colored a guitar for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and marked it with a guitar sticker on the map.

4. Made the cutest little cardinal (state bird) that I found on Pinterest.

5. VIDEO-watched a video of Neil Armstrong (Ohioan) landing on the moon.

6. Read the book The Giant of Seville.

Related activity-We marked everyone’s height on the wall with a sticker and then used the tape measure to measure how high the giant was (he reached our ceiling!).  This was a good estimating activity since my parents were here.  We started by marking his height and then he had to guess who would be the next tallest each time.

IMG_2472[1]Cutting, gluing.IMG_2451[1]Tracing.giantEstimating and measuring.

History!

This weekend we’re working on Pennsylvania. If you have any books or fun activities to add for your state please me know!  I am going to need new ideas 🙂

19 thoughts on “Traveling the States with Gage – Ohio

1. Kay says:

What a good idea and such cute activities! He looks like he’s having a good time. How about a couple of Texas books? I know it’s not a nearby state, but???

• stacybuckeye says:

I’ll need ideas from you Kay! It might be awhile before we get to Texas but we’ll get there this year! It’s hard to find good picture books set in the state. Can’t find a good way to search for them.

2. BermudaOnion says:

This is such a great idea! I don’t have any books but let me know if you need/want any trinkets from SC – I really don’t know that much about the state, but I’ll try to come up with something!

3. The Many Thoughts of a Reader says:

there are tons of great michigan books! the legend of series.. here is a link to the legend of the petoskey stone.. and then you can use that as a starting point and see similar books below.. http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Petoskey-Stone-Legends-Folktales/dp/1585362174/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425235884&sr=1-1&keywords=the+legend+of+the+petoskey+stone

i’ve also found the good night series for the different states. they include a few facts about the state through activities children can do throughout the day and night.. we own good night michigan and good night lake or somethign.. ive bought other state books for friends.. there are usually alphabet books like m is for michigan.. for other states as well as you start your search. if you want to expand into chapter books.. there are american chillers or michigan chillers that take myths or stories and put them into a book form..

i

4. Tami says:

Wonderful activities. I especially like that you’re teaching him about the first moon landing. Events that were some of the most amazing parts of my childhood (and Hubs’) are now viewed as ancient history by most students. There is so much that they need to know about 20th century history – great that you’re starting him young. What a good mother !

• stacybuckeye says:

We’re starting small and I’m trying to only do things I think I can interest him in. Astronauts are way cool to 4 year olds, even if the enormity of the event is lost on him.

• stacybuckeye says:

Nothing fancy or with too much planning so it’s a win-win. If you have any good ideas let me know. For sure we’ll be getting out our California post cards when we get there. He knows that he was in my belly when we went to San Francisco and he keeps telling me he wants to go back 😉

5. Teddyree says:

What a wonderful idea, learning in such a creative way is such fun … good on you Stacy. Love seeing these candid pics of Gage 🙂