Sundays with Gage – And birthday makes 4!

October 19, 201020112012bdcake12013

4th birthday 34th birthday2014!

As I suspected it might be, Gage’s first big birthday party was a lovely chaotic few hours.  I am so thankful that Gage has friends who want to celebrate with him.  We had 14 kids between 3-5 and they were great. I planned the party myself and I learned a lot for next time, lol.  Here’s what we did.

IMG_0932We put up our bounce house in the family room and Gage welcomed the kids by taking them there first thing.  It got crazy so I put Jason in charge 😉  Lesson learned-need lots of alternative activities close by for the kids who are waiting.

balloons 2Robert the Rogue (he came sans pirate gear) made awesome balloon animals for all the kids.  Lesson learned-definitely worth the money since I really considered this the big part of their take home favors.

pumpkinsThen the kids headed down to the basement to decorate their own little pumpkins.  Lesson learned-needed someone helping the kids the whole time, more supervision.

dance partyStill in the basement we turned out the lights and turned on the disco ball and music. I didn’t really get any good pics of this but Gage will tell you that this was his favorite part of the party.  There was a box of noisemakers for them to choose from and keep but I don’t think I made that clear.  Lesson learned-if you don’t want a lot of extra noisemakers in your house make sure that you pass them out to the kids with instructions to take them home!

IMG_0957Headed back upstairs and Robert the Rogue did a short magic show.  Gage missed some of this by having a mini-meltdown in the kitchen but he made a pretty quick recovery.  Lesson learned-Robert earned his money.

IMG_0961Cake time! Everything we served was gluten free-dairy free. This cake was made by a vegan bakery and we served almond ice cream.  Gage ate neither deciding instead to eat as many grapes and pretzels that he could get his hands on.  Lesson learned-So many things I wish I could have done better here, but my biggest problem was not taking a deep breath and actually making sure all of the food and drinks got to all of the kids.  Parents started chatting and lots of food got left on the island.

lilyIt was time for his friends to go and I couldn’t get a smile from Gage in any of these pics, not even with his best bud Lily.  Lesson learned-Gage likes parties and friends and we should have more of both in our house!

It was a great day and I think a good time was had by the kids.  All 14 of them and their parents 😉   As for me, the last guest who came by for Gage’s birthday left at 10 pm.  Needless to say I was happily exhausted.

Can you believe my guy is 4?!?!  If you want Gage to take up a few more minutes of your time you can read all about his entry into the world here.

October 26, 2014 - Posted by | Gage

1. Sounds like you did a great job with the party!! Fourteen kids is a lot, but it looks like everyone had a great time!

Comment by Vicki | October 26, 2014 | Reply

2. You did an amazing job! That was a lot of planning and a lot of kids! Way to go.I did a Minecraft party for Gabe’s 5th and I didn’t nearly plan that much and it was exhausting and stressful! So good for you. Looks like fun was had by all. Love those pics. And a big happy birthday to Gage!!! 4!!!

Comment by Heather | October 26, 2014 | Reply

• Well, hiring Robert helped since he provided so much of the entertainment 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 29, 2014 | Reply

3. It sounds like the party was a great success!! I can tell Gage didn’t want his friends to go home. He is such a cutie!

Comment by BermudaOnion | October 26, 2014 | Reply

4. I love the “lessons learned” :–) And yes, wow, what a lot of work and what an amazing job you did!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | October 26, 2014 | Reply

5. All I have to say is…hats off to you. I had a few parties at our house before I decided to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. It actually didn’t have to cost that much more to have it somewhere else where you didn’t have clean up. We did bowling, an art studio, the movies, a gym place. You are making great memories for him. When they are teenagers they don’t want to do anything!

Comment by sandynawrot | October 26, 2014 | Reply

• I looked into having it a few other places but was really unsure as to how many kids would come and I didn’t want to reant a place to have 5 kids come 🙂 I actually had quite a bit of fun and know I could do it better next tjme and I’m always up for a challenge!

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 29, 2014 | Reply

6. Love these pics!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | October 26, 2014 | Reply

7. Stacy, what a patient and wonderful parent you and your husband are. Gage is very lucky. Thanks for sharing his special day with us.

Comment by diane | October 26, 2014 | Reply

8. Sounds like an overwhelming success to me – congratulations!! Hard to believe that little guy is 4 already.

Comment by lakesidemusing | October 26, 2014 | Reply

9. Happy Birthday, Gage! Love his facial expression!

Comment by The Many Thoughts of a Reader | October 26, 2014 | Reply

10. Sounds like a great time was had by all…including you 🙂

Comment by pinkim95 | October 26, 2014 | Reply

11. What a great party and I am sure many happy memories were made! Happy 4th Birthday to Gage.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | October 26, 2014 | Reply

12. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos and description of Gage’s party. It sounds like it was a wonderful party! Happy Birthday to Gage!

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | October 27, 2014 | Reply

13. What a great party you hosted. Happy Birthday Gage!

Comment by Leslie | October 28, 2014 | Reply

14. Mouse had that same cap when she was born. 🙂

He’s grown so much! I can’t believe he’s four already. Where does the time go? What a fun birthday! Thank you for sharing the photos and details of his party.

Happy birthday, Gage!

Comment by Literary Feline | October 28, 2014 | Reply

• Time goes fast as they get older. It makes up for that first year which seemed to go on forever 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 29, 2014 | Reply

15. 4? Really? It goes so fast, doesn’t it? He’s very cute.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | October 29, 2014 | Reply

16. Happy Birthday Gage! Looks like you guys had a great day.

Comment by kelley | October 29, 2014 | Reply

17. Love seeing all these pictures of Gage and the fun festivities! Sounds like fantastic party and I’m sure he’s thrilled despite the last picture. Why is it so hard to get kids to smile for the camera? You would think my girls are the unhappiest girls ever based on their pictures. LOL! Happy birthday sweet little one. Hope his fifth year is a great one! (wow, 5th year sounds scary, huh?)

Comment by Trish | October 30, 2014 | Reply

18. Happy Birthday, Gage! I can’t believe he’s four! The party looked awesome, and I will be taking notes for future little guy parties here. 🙂

Comment by susieq512 | October 31, 2014 | Reply