French Milk by Lucy Knisley

French MilkFrench Milk. Finished 7-17-13, rating 3.25, graphic memoir, 193 pages, pub. 2007

Celebrating her mom’s 50th birthday and her own 22nd, Lucy and her mom decided to visit Paris together for a month.  They rented an apartment in the fifth arrondissement and started touring the city in January of 2007 and this book is her travel journal.  Lucy, attending the Center for Cartoon Studies, showed her skills in this graphic novel.

I was drawn in right away by her humor and the way she told her story.  The photographs that were interspersed with the drawings made it feel more personal.  I felt like I was on the streets of Paris stopping in cafes and drinking lots of wine and eating lots of cheese and bread.  Her quirkiness was refreshing and I love the idea of doing something so fantastic with your mother.

She lost me a little bit about halfway through.  She became whiny and it was hard t o feel sympathy for her when she complained of missing home.  One month in Paris is such a wonderful gift!  I know I am saying that as a 40 something and Lucy had not yet turned 22, so maybe that was the problem.  I probably wouldn’t have appreciated it as much at 22 as I would now.  After she recovered from that mood the book became more about what they ate and where when I wanted more story.

Overall, this is a short, easy to read travel journal.  I think it would be a perfect read for anyone planning to travel there.  It’s perfect to get restaurant and shopping ideas., but for me it didn’t deliver enough about her relationship with her mother, and that’s what I was expecting.

This was from my personal library.

Traveling down the SeineFrance 154(courtesy of Bookbath)

July 19, 2013 - Posted by | 3 Star Books |

1. I enjoyed this one too but did wonder about the milk she wrote about. We sure didn’t encounter milk like that when we lived in France.

Comment by BermudaOnion | July 19, 2013 | Reply

2. Everyone has liked this so much. I have to try and find it!!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | July 19, 2013 | Reply

3. Looks like an interesting enough story to think about Paris. Love that pic!

Comment by Heather | July 19, 2013 | Reply

• Oh, yes, if you want to daydream and plan your trip (imaginary or not) then this is perfect!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 19, 2013 | Reply

4. I remember this one getting blogger reviews a few years ago.

Comment by Word Lily | July 19, 2013 | Reply

• I think that’s why I picked it up!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 19, 2013 | Reply

5. Thanks for your great review. Thanks for stopping by my site!

Comment by postingfornow | July 19, 2013 | Reply

6. I agree with you about maybe it was her age, but overall, I loved this graphic memoir and it made me want to visit Paris immediately!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | July 19, 2013 | Reply

• Maybe it’s just my mood, LOL, I’m feeling the same way about a girl in a book I’m reading now! Maybe I’m the whiny one.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 19, 2013 | Reply

7. this really appeals to me, adding it to my wishlist! As you said … perfect for anyone travelling to Paris 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | July 19, 2013 | Reply

• Oh, yes, you must read it before travelling to Paris. You have time 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 19, 2013 | Reply

8. I think I enjoyed this a little bit more than you did… hope to read her new book, Relish, soon!

Comment by lakesidemusing | July 19, 2013 | Reply

• Yes, I’m wondering if it’s my mood right now. I’m in a no nonsense, survival mode right now and my tolerance is low!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 19, 2013 | Reply

9. I wonder if the whining would not have happened if she had been travelling with someone other than her mother!

Comment by harvee | July 20, 2013 | Reply

10. This book would be interesting and fun.

Comment by Anne | July 20, 2013 | Reply