After last year’s milestone birthday today is a bit anticlimactic. Jason and I will be heading out for a birthday dinner and that will be the big celebration. Woo hoo 🙂 So, I’m pulling out the Bucket List I made last year at 40 to see how I’m doing.
1. Write and publish a novel.
2. Open my own bookstore.
3. Spend a night in an English castle.
4. Visit Ireland.
5. Meet a US president.
6. Learn to start a fire without matches.
7. Learn to play the piano.
8. Raise a happy and successful son.
9. Celebrate my 50th anniversary. (14 in)
10. Make exercise a daily priority.
11. Get back to my wedding weight, just once.
12. Try a vegetarian diet for a year.
13. Drive across country.
14. Visit all 50 states. (Only counting those states where I’ve spent any significant time seeing a sight or two, I’m at 22. I’ve driven through six others but I’m not counting them.)
15. Stay in an overnight car on a train trip.
16. Fly first class.
17. Take Gage to Italy.
18. Ride a boat down the Mississippi River.
19. Trace ancestry to when all branches entered the US. (we’ve been here a long time so this will take many more years of research)
20. Spend a week touring Napa Valley.
21. Live somewhere warm year round.
22. Volunteer on a political campaign.
23. Sit on a jury.
24. Buy only American for 1 year.
25. Have a library with wall-to-wall built-in bookcases.
26. Write and mail 1000 letters. These can include cards if I include a personal note. (Not much of a dent with 62 this year.)
27. Be an extra in a movie.
28. Watch a play from backstage.
29. Go skiing.
30. Attend a murder mystery dinner. September 2012
31. Volunteer weekly.
32. Read all the books I own. (I’d like to have no TBR pile just once. I can give away books to reach this goal)
33. Start my own book club.
34. See all 4 tennis majors. (2 down, Wimbledon & Australian Open to go)
35. Give blood.
36. Sleep under the stars.
37. Have a hammock.
38. Fire a gun.
39. Make a daily goal list and use it.
40. Do a random act of kindness every day.
There is a lot or travel on here but until Gage is a bit older I don’t see that happening so I’ll have to try some of the others. I’ve done a little research on buying American for a year, but am not ready to start yet. It will take some planning but I may be able to give it a shot sometime this next year. You’d think with all of the time President Obama is spending in Ohio (Romney too) I may be able to meet him before election time. He’d definitely want to kiss Gage, right? As for reaching my wedding weight, let’s just say I have about 45 pounds to go, BUT I did start Weight Watchers a few weeks ago and have managed to lose 5 pounds. My goal this year is just get back to my pre-Gage weight still over 25 pounds away, but I’ve gotta start somewhere. I do have visions of a bookstore and that may be something I put some effort into this year. So many goals to choose from.
On to my birthday giveaway. I brought home lots of books from Bouchercon and I’m giving 5 away to you, my favorite bookish pals. Just leave a comment on this post and you’ll be entered. Leave a comment on any post this week and you’ll be entered every time. On Saturday I’ll draw 3 winners. The first will get first choice and choose one book, the second winner will choose two books and the third winner will get the last two. Easy, right? Just comment all week long and you might win.