Sundays with Gage – Mommy Vacation

My three days spent at Bouchercon with mystery/thriller readers and writers.

I didn’t have to say a word to feel at home among the 1800 readers and writers who spent Thursday-Saturday mingling and laughing together.  I saw and chatted with Lee Child, Charlaine Harris, Daniel Palmer, Linwood Barclay, Karen Olson…  Chelsea Cain gave me the finger (more on that another day).  I got to hang out with Taylor Stevens who even told me a secret (I’d tell you but she told me I’d be dead to her if I did, ;)) I’ll be sharing more of these fun stories throughout the week.

So, I came and enjoyed and, surprisingly, worried little about Gage at all.  Is this how moms with jobs feel?  Since Jason and I came and left downtown together on Thursday and Friday it was a real eye opener to me.  I now understand better why when he comes home he is not always 100% enthralled with the daily minutiae of my day with Gage.  He has 2 1/2 hours to soak up all the (almost) 2-year-old antics that I take in over my 11 hours with Gage before he arrives home.

I am so grateful for the time spent with adults, talking about adult things and I needed it more than I realized before I went.  Stay at home moms can get lost in the little things.  While appreciating a banner day in dirty diapers is very interesting, there is a world out there that goes on without us, one that I was able to savor this week.  I feel almost interesting again.

On Saturday I didn’t feel guilty about the time away, I felt guilty about how I didn’t want the vacation to end.  I wanted to go on mingling with the superstars and fans, my peeps.  But as all vacations must, it came to an end.  I’m home and my parents will be leaving soon and when Jason goes back to work tomorrow I know Gage will look at me and be just a tad bit disappointed that I can’t morph into more people to entertain him.  I am very grateful to my parents for babysitting all day long so that I could go play.  They are the best parents ever.

October 7, 2012 - Posted by | Gage

1. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! =)

Comment by my recent favorite books | October 7, 2012 | Reply

2. I always go through withdrawal when a bookish event like that is over. I think it does children good to learn that their parents have interests that don’t include them and I KNOW it does parents good to get away from the kids for a while. I am thrilled you had so much fun and can’t wait to hear more of your stories.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | October 7, 2012 | Reply

3. It sounds like a fantastic time. And I agree with you 100%. Stay at home moms do need to get out in the world and be someone other than just mom. Glad you had this chance.

Comment by Jenners | October 7, 2012 | Reply

4. He’s having a blast with Grandpa!! 😀 It is great that you didn’t have to worry about him one bit and that you were totally able to relax and enjoy the time away! Your weekend sounds fabulous! I need to go next time!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | October 7, 2012 | Reply

5. That’s so great that you got a vacation – and a book one at that! And yes, it’s so funny how easily we can become absorbed in the minutiae of our days, even if it’s about diapers! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | October 8, 2012 | Reply

6. I’m glad you were able to take some time for yourself. That’s important, and I’m glad you had a great time.

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | October 8, 2012 | Reply

7. I am so glad you got to go on a little mini vacation–and to Boucheron no less! I’m so jealous! I would love to do something fun like that for a change!

Comment by Literary Feline | October 9, 2012 | Reply

8. It was great that you could go relax and have fun for a few days. It was exciting to hear about the authors you met each day. Looking forward to all of your Bouchercon posts. Thanks for giving us some ‘Gage time’!

Comment by Gage's Grandma | October 9, 2012 | Reply

9. I can only imagine how important it is for a stay-at-home mom to get out once in a while. I’m glad you had such a great time and your parents sound great, being willing to come up and babysit for your vacation.

Comment by Carol | October 10, 2012 | Reply

10. That event sounds awesome and glad you got the break. As a working mum you do feel a little guilt but at the same time I enjoy the hours at work, being with adults and having a different focus. But you have days where you feel like a failure and other days when you think “thank god for day care/work”. I admire that you stay home all day with Gage as I certainly couldnt be a full time stay at home mum.

Comment by caspette | October 13, 2012 | Reply