Sundays with Gage – All Boy

Gage likes trucks, cars, planes, trains, picking up things that are too big for him and running with them as fast as possible around the house, hitting his head on the floor…basically only sitting still for more than a few minutes to watch Elmo.  So you can imagine how cool it was when we had some guys come this week to work under the deck.

We’d turn on Elmo on in the family room and he’d take breaks to come to the kitchen when the pounding or power tools got to be too much temptation.

I know that some people think that boys learn to be boys and girls learn to be girls by the toys they are given and the way they are treated as babes and there is something to that I’m sure.  But I’m just as sure that when it comes to the love of power tools some things are just inherent.

27 thoughts on “Sundays with Gage – All Boy

1. Literary Feline says:

Haha! What a cutie. Mouse is quite fond of tools and cars and trucks too. And airplanes. Oh, how she loves airplanes! LOL She enjoys “helping” her dad when he’s putting something together. She does like dolls too, but they don’t seem to hold her interest the way her toy cars and legos do.

2. Kay says:

Such cute pictures of your boy! I agree that toys and such are not exclusively gender attractive, but I do think that some kids are drawn to the traditional boy/girl things. My girl did like Matchbox cars, but mostly she wanted to be a fairy – like in Pinnochio. No interest in guns, ditchdiggers, power tools, or helping Dad with the lawn mower. And I’ve seen very, very small boys that are fascinated by construction sites. Bet Gage had a great time.

3. gautami tripathy says:

Love the way he is sitting there, watching. Reminds me of MYSELF!!

No one can resist the lure of power tools! I recently bought some. Even though I am NOT going to use much. I loved working with my dad on anything electrical. I do repair stuff even now, although it is easy to throw things and buy new! My eldest brother does not know a screw driver from a saw! But my other two brothers and I can talk about power tools for days…!! My youngest brother is currently doing stuff for his HAM radio.

4. Mary says:

I have two girls and one boy – we never steered them to gender specific toys, etc but they gravitated to them all on their own. I think, for the most part, it’s an inherent thing. Love the pics 🙂

5. thebumbles says:

With such close inspection over their shoulder I’m sure they did a perfect job! Way to go, Gage!

Sammy loves watching diggers and garbage trucks. And banging things. But he has inherited a lot of pink toys from his cousin and he loves playing with them too. He doesn’t care if what he’s throwing through the air is pink or blue ;0)

6. Jenners says:

Adorable!! I love how he is just hunkered down watching! I do think that some things are just built-in — I know I saw it in my son and I didn’t do anything to encourage boy stuff — it just came on its own.

7. jennygirl says:

Some things appeal to boys and others to girls. I don’t think it has much to do with toys. It’s whatever interests them. Maybe someday he will build you something 🙂

8. Caspette says:

I agree I think it is a bit of both. Obviously if all you give are dolls to a girl and cars to a boy that is all they will want to play with. But at the same time we never really encouraged cars,trucks,planes,boats etc yet those were some of the first words he learned to say clearly and would point them out. Boys like to be active, out there, always go go go so naturally I think they are drawn to those sorts of toys/activities. Likewise girls tend to like to talk, socialise and play quietly so happily play with dolls and tea sets. Again not all, but as a general rule from my totally non scientific observations that seems to be the case.

But how cute of Gage to watch the workers it must have been soo cute to watch him.