My first book on a Kindle

I have a confession to make.  I love books.  I love to sit down with a book in hand, excitement over the story inside.  Before I start with page one I might skim the flap or back cover and I almost always read about the author first.  I’ll look at the cover, maybe check the publication date.  It’s a very tactile thing.  It’s a comfortable, happy feeling, holding a book in my hands.

I’ve never been one to need the next tech gadget so ereaders weren’t much of a temptation, but in the past few years so many bloggers have fallen in love (or at least serious like) with their readers and I started to pay attention.  I have a house filled to the brim with shelves of overflowing books and have deluded myself into believing that someday, one day far in the future, I will read them all.  Ereaders will not aid me in fulfilling that goal.

After my review of The Duke of Cleveland by Les Roberts I received a very nice email from Les and an offer to read his very first book from his publicist, Jane.  The only catch is that it was an ebook.  Well, I decided to have my mom download it on her Kindle and then we could both read it.

I’m not going to rush out and buy one tomorrow, but I did enjoy the experience.  It was nice to choose my font and background lighting and I loved the size of it.  I didn’t really use any of the features and since I was borrowing it from mom I really didn’t take the time to learn what they were.

I won’t say that I’m a convert, but I am that much closer to buying one.  It will be a Nook though.  I’d be glad to hear any thoughts, good and bad, about the Nook.

My mom and I both read An Infinite Number of Monkeys: A Saxon Mystery (#1)and we’re working on a joint review.  Stay tuned…

June 22, 2012 - Posted by | Uncategorized

1. I bought a nook two and a half years ago, and I’m quite happy with it. I use it every day and it’s still working fine. Last Christmas we got the new nook touch for my dad, and I’ve seen that it has improved a lot in size, weight, battery life, etc. I read somewhere that the new one, that comes with led lights around the screen is really great, if I need a new one that will be my first choice.

Comment by barbaravb | June 22, 2012 | Reply

• Thanks, Barbara! It’s good to hear that your Nook is still up to the taske after everyday use.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

2. I enjoy my nook as well but I think whichever one you go with, you won’t be disappointed! I have overflowing books on both my shelves and my nook! There are so many cheap and free books on the ereaders, you will pile up that list fast!

Comment by Heather | June 22, 2012 | Reply

• I’m afraid of all those free books 😉 Glad to hear you like your Nook.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

3. I got a Kindle from my family last summer, and I used it for a trip to Europe in the Fall. It was very convenient for travel. Having said that, I still can’t get away from real books. Although I will use the Kindle if that’s the only way I can get a book that I want to read, my first choice is cloth, cardboard, and paper. I justify the cost by buying the book (usually a hardcover) from Amazon at a discount and then selling it back to my local used bookstore for a credit. That way, I can convince myself that the net cost will be similar to downloading an ebook. The truth is, I will do anything to justify having the actual book.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | June 22, 2012 | Reply

• LOL! I do a lot of justification here too! If we were traveling like we were 2 years ago before baby I’d buy one in a heartbeat. I have to think that is the best reason to have one.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

4. Oops, WordPress ate my comment. I received a Kindle as a gift and have read a few books on it. While I love having a book(s) with me at all times, I prefer the “real” thing.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | June 22, 2012 | Reply

• I’m pretty sure the Nook won’t replace my desire for paper in my hands!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

5. Welcome to the dark side. 😀
    I had a nook, but it got tossed over for my iPad. I still prefer to read the real thing, but those ebooks come in handy on vacation (or when you just can’t wait to get to an actual bookstore).

Comment by softdrink | June 23, 2012 | Reply

• Let’s call it the gray side 😉 When Jason first got his iPad years ago I tried to read a book on it and didn’t care for it. I think I prefer the smaller size.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

6. I have a confession. I LOVE my kindle app on my phone. I didn’t think I would. I resisted. Yet here I am a year later nearly reading exclusively ebooks these days. Dont get me wrong I still love books but my iphone kindle app makes it so much easier for me to read and I ALWAYS have a book with me

Comment by Caspette | June 23, 2012 | Reply

• I don’t have an iphone, but I can’t imagine reading a whole book on one! But then I never thought I’d like reading on an ereader either so I’m always evolving 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

7. I have several eReaders and find I never use them. I’ll pick a physical book over a virtual book every time. Of those I have, I prefer the iPad. I have heard that the best dedicated eReader is the nook simple touch or whatever it’s called.

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 23, 2012 | Reply

• I don’t think it can replace books, but I am interested in a few books that I can only get on an ereader.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

8. I love Fizzy Jill’s comment. We Jills think alike!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | June 23, 2012 | Reply

9. I feel the same way! I love “real” books and always will but there were more and more offers for ebooks so I decided to give it a try. We had our trip to Florida last October so I bought a Nook Color (refurbished – much cheaper) because I wanted to be able to read my books, see the grandchildren’s books in color, play some games and have access to the internet for our trip. It had all of those features so that was to one for me! And it worked out perfect because that was all in one little gadget! We also bought the Nook Touch for my mom. She didn’t need all the features I wanted so it’s black and white, no internet but it’s still a touch screen and very lightweight. Of course, just in that short amount of time they’ve come out with newer models and dropped the price on the models we bought!

I did notice that Kindle seems to have more free books and apps than the Nook does but there are still a ton of deals and I prefer Barnes & Noble. And I also found out that I could convert it to a dual ereader. I followed a tutorial I found on line and loaded android info onto a memory card. When I reboot my Nook with the memory card in it comes up with the android screen and all of my Kindle books and apps. To switch back I just turn it off, remove card and reboot back to my Nook. There are also many, many sites that list where you can find free or sale ebooks every day. I will never be able to read all the books I already have but I keep getting more free ones! And you can borrow from other people too. I really enjoy my Nook but I use it as another way to read. It will never replace my books or my trips to the library. (Oh yeah, you can borrow library books too!)

Good luck! 🙂

Comment by Wrighty | June 23, 2012 | Reply

• I’m a Barnes & Noble girl too! I never even thought about books for Gage. He loves his real books so much, but he’ll need to get with the program before he starts preschool, LOL!
      The free books are the draw for me as well.
      I had no idea you could convert a Nook like that! Thanks for the tip. You might be getting questions from me when I get one.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

10. Once you use one, you see that they aren’t pure evil! There is a place for them in a reader’s world. I have a Kindle myself but best of luck with the Nook.

Comment by Jenners | June 23, 2012 | Reply

• See, I think Amazon is the devil, so it must me a Nook 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

11. I adore my Kindle, and prefer eBooks to physical books these days, but still read both. (more eBooks though lately)

Glad your experience was a good one.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | June 23, 2012 | Reply

• What? You prefer the ebooks?! I love my books so much I’d feel like I was cheating on them if I read too many reader books!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2012 | Reply

12. I love my Kindle (older version that my son gave me) and I also read on my iPad. But I still love my books! I think it’s fun to mix it up a bit!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | June 24, 2012 | Reply

13. […] Roberts first book and series set in Los Angeles I said yes and brought my mom along for the fun (post here).  I stopped by his blog and saw this recent post about the publication of his first book and Ray […]

Pingback by An Infinite Number of Monkeys by Les Roberts « Stacy's Books | June 25, 2012 | Reply

14. What I enjoy most about reading on my iPad is the built-in dictionary.

Comment by thebumbles | June 25, 2012 | Reply

15. I will not read any e books until I read the paper books I own, which is over 100 but doable. If I buy an e reader now I’ll just ignore the books I have and I will feel bad about the books that are longing to be held. Not ruling e books out, just waiting until I’m ready.
    Glad this experience was good for you though. Plus it’s good to hear other opinions for when you are ready to make the switch.

Comment by jennygirl | July 3, 2012 | Reply

16. My mom really likes her Nook color! I have an older Sony reader with no bells & whistles. I’ve been tempted by the Nook but don’t think I’ll buy anything new until my Sony dies.

Comment by Golda | July 8, 2012 | Reply

17. I got the wife a Nook simple touch for Christmas as it seemed to edge out the latest offering from Amazon at the time. She really likes it, and I have found it to be great, too, especially for the Metro commute. I also like that the Nook has more ePub options, though I am a bit disappointed at the local library’s offerings (hello Gutenberg project!). Beware, though, the ability to buy a book by tapping a screen makes crack look like Sanka.

Comment by The old roommate | July 9, 2012 | Reply