Sundays With Gage – What’s in a name?

Choosing a name for our baby was harder than I thought it would be.  It is, after all, something he will live with for the rest of his life.  I don’t know anyone named Gage and I’m not even sure why it popped into my head, but it was the first name either one of us suggested out loud.  It was the first name we tried out on the belly.  Other boy names that made the short list and were also tested to see of the belly liked them were Logan, Evan, Adam, Aidan, Lincoln, and Quinn.  The two finalists if  the babe was a girl were Lily or Tara, but Ella, Ally, and Hailey were also considered.  We both liked Taylor, but I liked it for a boy and Jason for a girl and we never could agree!

So, how did we decide?  First thing we did was check out the Social Security website.  This site is awesome.  We knew we wanted a name that wasn’t the most popular or trendy but also didn’t want it to be too out there,  so we printed the list of the 200 most popular names of the last decade to see where our favorites were on the list.  We were surprised to see Gage at 147 since we weren’t sure it would show up on the list at all.  You can also check to see how a particular name had trended over time.  The year I was born my name was 32nd in popularity, but today it’s all the way down to 825.  That’s quite a drop!  You can also look at popularity by state.  Gage is more popular in Ohio in the country as whole.  It ranked 82nd last year.

Once we got done playing with all of the cool tools on that site we had fun on this one.  The interesting thing about this one is that users voted on how they felt about different names.  Here’s how the 82 voters felt about Gage.  It’s highest ratings were in the Strong, Modern, and Rough categories.  The one that gave me the most pause was the 58% that felt the name was unintellectual.  I decided that the slight majority was wrong in this case.  Go ahead and see how people feel about your name.  My name was high in the Wholesome, Informal and Simple categories.  Search for your name here and when it comes up click on the Ratings in the box on the right side.

By the end we had it down to Gage and Tara and the first name we tried on the belly was the winner.  There were so many great names discarded because one of us had a negative feeling about the name due to a past history with it.  These feelings sometimes went back to high school which cracked me up.  You really never can shed high school can you?  But in the end the choice was made by me and Jason and we hope Gage learnss to love it someday.  Now whether the name makes the person or the person makes the name is a whole other post I might someday explore.

Isn’t the blanket so cute?  My awesome Aunt Carol had it made and sent last month.

24 thoughts on “Sundays With Gage – What’s in a name?

1. Jenners says:

It is a lot of pressure picking a name, isn’t it? We tried out so many … but I don’t think I came across any of these web sites when we were doing it. I think you did a fine job!!!

2. Kathy says:

Very cute blanket!
    I love the name Gage! It’s a great little boy’s name but, more importantly IMO, it’s a strong man’s name and he’ll be a man a lot longer than he’ll be a boy. It made our “short list” for our son but my cousin named her son that about three months before J was born.

3. Literary Feline says:

Thanks for the link to the name rating site, Stacy! My husband and I used a few other different ones when coming up with our little girl’s name. My husband was very insistent that he wanted a name that was not very popular today–and from the Social Security site, we succeeded! The results came back as being “not in the top 1000 names for any year of birth in the last 11 years.” My husband’s pleased. 🙂 Her middle name is much more common.

Our main intent, however, was to choose family names. She is named after someone from both sides of the family. Hopefully she won’t hate the name–when I tell her what her name could have been, she’ll probably feel somewhat better. LOL

• stacybuckeye says:

Wendy, I was intent on a family name, but we really couldn’t agree on one so we went beyond. I love the social security website because it has so many fun features. Can’t wait to see what you’re naming your little girl!

4. caspette says:

LOL it is amazing isnt it how we base names on people we know (ie “every Stephanie I know is a cow”). But we too settled on our sons name pretty quickly which surprised me as usually we are useless naming things.

Gage is a lovely name. Like you said different but not too out there.

Uh oh gotta cut this short speaking of babies mine has decided he wants attention by trying to rip the screen off my laptop. Time to go LOL

5. Carol says:

I love the blanket. It’s so cute.

We knew Amber was going to be a girl, and picked the name pretty early. There just really was never any other choice. Thankfully it ended up fitting her perfectly.

6. Veens says:

Gosh we did not do so much research. We wanted to name Aarya, Arjun first. But Hubby’s elder bro’s son was named Arjun in December (he was born in dec, 2009). Then we thought we will name him Adity, but Hubby’s cousin bro’s son who was born in Jan, 2010 took that name. After that we thought, maybe this is a girl 😀 and that is why all our names were getting stolen lol! Finally we decided on Aarya.

• stacybuckeye says:

That happened to us too. A few of the names we loved got taken by friends or family! Looks like you guys like names that begin with A 🙂

7. Alice Teh says:

I love the way you decided on the name! I played with the website you mentioned and found that my name “Alice” is quite hot (ranked 8) in 1880, 1882 and 1905. It ranked #258 in 2009. LOL!