Detective Scattergories Quiz – Round 3 Begins Today

Welcome to Round 3!

I love a great detective story.  If I want to jump start my reading I always pick a mystery and they usually involve a detective.  So, this week I’m looking for great  detectives.  They can come from a standalone book or a series and include private eyes or official detectives in the police force or government.

List up to 10 detectives and the book or series they come from.  The answer only counts if you are the only one who lists it.  If there are repeats no one gets points.

So, you may come up with 10 detectives and get 0 points or give me one title and get 10 points.   Tricky, huh?

Feel free to browse your own blogs or bestseller lists for ideas.  You have until Thursday night to submit your answers.

10 points per title.

Have fun detecting which ones your competition might list 🙂

22 thoughts on “Detective Scattergories Quiz – Round 3 Begins Today

1. bermudaonion says:

Kinsey Millhone – Sue Grafton’s Alphabet series
    Harry Bosch – Michael Connelly books
    Callahan Garrity – Kathy Hogan Trocheck series
    Alex Cross – James Patterson series
    Encyclopedia Brown – Donald J. Sobol series

2. Kay says:

1. Armand Gamache – Louise Penny’s Three Pines series
    2. Kate Shugak – Dana Stabenow’s Alaska series
    3. Walt Longmire – Craig Johnson’s Wyoming series
    4. John Ceepak & Danny Boyle – Christ Grabenstein’s Jersey Shore series
    5. Dwight Bryant – husband of Deborah Knott in Margaret Maron’s North Carolina series
    6. Eve Dallas – J.D. Robb’s New York future series
    7. Darko Dawson – Kwei Quartey’s Ghana series
    8. Cork O’Connor – William Ken Krueger’s Minnesota series
    9. Molly Smith & John Winters – Vicki Delany’s British Columbia series
    10. Vish Puri – Tarquin Hall’s India series

Stacy, I could literally go on and on and on. You hit my favorite genre here. 🙂

• stacybuckeye says:

50 points for Armand. John, Dwight, Darko, Molly & John! I’ve not read any of these but several are on my wish list.

3. Jennifer Rayment says:

1.Detective Nikki Heat – Richard Castle (Nikki Heat books like Heat Wave)
    2. Detective Andrew Ryan – Kathy Reichs (Temperance Brennan books like Deadly Decisions)
    3. V.I. Warshawski – Sara Paretsky (various titles including Hardball)
    4. Milo Sturgis – Jonathan Kellerman (various alex delaware novels including when the bough breaks)
    5. Detective Hieronymus “Harry” Bosch – Michael Connelly from novel The Black Echo
    6. Dirk Gently – Douglas Adams (From Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.)
    7. Inspector Lestrade – Arthur Conan Doyle (Various Sherlock Holmes stories)
    8. # Inspector Javert – Victor Hugo (Les Miserable)
    9. private detective Spenser – Robert B. Parker (various novels)
    10. Detective Pete Marino – (Patricia Cornwell in her Kay Scarbetta novels)

• stacybuckeye says:

80 points! The only repeats were Harry and Temperance. I love the show Castle and really should read the books 🙂

4. Kerri (BookEnds) says:

I love mystery novels as well. I listed a couple from my early days.

1.Detective Alex Cross – I, Alex Cross by James Patterson
    2.Detective Lindsay Boxer – Number Series by James Patterson
    3.Detective Michael Bennett – Run for you Life by James Patterson
    4. 11 year old Detective Flavia De Luce – The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
    5. Nancy Drew – Carolyn Keene

Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock series by Catherine Coulter
    Deeper Than Dead by Tami Hoag
    True Blue by David Baldacci
    The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker
    Blood Vines by Erica Spindler

6. Bumbles says:

I’m not big into reading mysteries so I don’t have many ideas here. But this is what came to my mind – and I don’t know if either of them truly count as Detectives/PI’s – but they are out and about trying to solve crimes – in their own way:

FBI Agent Clarice Starling – Silence of the Lambs

Miami Metro Police Forensics Analyst (& serial killer) Dexter Morgan – Darkly Dreaming Dexter et al

Reporter Mario Spezi – The Monster of Florence

• stacybuckeye says:

30 points 🙂 I really need to watch the Dexter series in its entirety, I’ve only seen a few episodes here and there and love it.

7. Linda B says:

John Madden, River of Darkness & others, by Rennie Airth

Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries, by C. S. Harris

Matthew Shardlake series, by C. J. Sansom

Benjamin January, A Free Man of Color & other, by Barbara Hambly

8. Kathy says:

1. Thomas Lynley series by Elizabeth George
    2. Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear
    3. Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson
    4. Sarah Brandt series by Victoria Thompson (The Gaslight Mysteries)
    5. Joe Sandilands series by Barbara Cleverly
    6. The Nameless Detective series by Bill Pronzini (1st person narrator’s name is not divulged until very late in the series)
    7. Sharon McCone series by Marcia Muller
    8. 87th Precinct series by Ed McBain (there are multiple detectives. Each book focuses on a team with other as supporting chacters)
    9. Charles Paris series by Simon Brett (British theater mysteries. They may be out of print, though)
    10. Lady Julia Grey/Nicholas Brisbane series by Deanna Raybourn (one of the best first paragraphs I have ever read!)
    11. Thomas & Charlotte Pitt series by Anne Perry

Let me know if you want more suggestions. I LOVE mysteries!

• stacybuckeye says:

80 points 🙂 You have me curious about the unnamed detective series. I’m going to have to check that one out! Only Walt and Thomas were repeats.

9. Word Lily says:

1. Izzy Spellman — The Spellman Files (series) by Lisa Lutz
    2. Tess Monaghan — Laura Lippman’s series, starting with Baltimore Blues
    3. Inspector Gamache — Louise Penny’s Three Pines series, starting with Still Life
    4. Precious Ramotswe — Alexander McCall Smith’s series starting with The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency
    5. Thomas Lynley – Elizabeth George’s series
    6. Kinsey Milhone — Sue Grafton’s series
    7. Cork O’Connor — William Kent Krueger’s series
    8. Vish Puri — Tarquin Hall’s series, starting with The Case of the Missing Servant
    9. Shunsuke Honma — All She Was Worth by Miyuki Miyabe
    10. Bernie Gunther — Philip Kerr’s “Berlin Trilogy” series

• stacybuckeye says:

60 points 🙂 Kinsey, Garnache, Cork, and Vish were repeats. I’ll be reading the No 1 Detective Agancy soon.

10. Wrighty says:

I meant to come back to this but forgot! Oops! Darn, I was looking forward to it too. This was a great topic and you got so many terrific lists. I’ve got a few new ideas myself!