My Monthly Movie Thoughts in 5 Words and an open invitation

These are the movies I’ve watched this month and I’ve given each one a grade and 5 words to describe it.  There are two ways to actively participate.  One, if you’ve seen any of the movies leave me your 1-5 words in the comments and I’ll add them to the post.  Or, if you are feeling ambitious and want to do this on your own blog leave me a link in the comments and I’ll add it to the bottom of the post.   Of course,  you can just browse and enjoy too 🙂

On the upper half of poster are the faces of a man and a blue cat-like alien with yellow eyes, with a giant planet on the background and the text "From the director of Terminator 2 and Titanic" atop the image. Below, is a four-winged animal flying across a landscape with floating islands during sunset, with the title "James Cameron's Avatar", film credits and the release date at the bottom.(2009.  Cast- Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez) Grade B+ (3D version)

Must see 3D.  Visually stunning.

See it on big screen (Jenners)

It’s my favorite for now! (Alice)

Loved every bit of visuals (Richard)

Evil Humans vs. Blue Natives (Stephanie)

A stunning graphic masterpiece. (Teddyree)

Amazing Alien Adventure, Awesome Action (Beth)

Unobtainium? Really? but visually stunning.  (Heather)

Sam Worthington proves he’s worthy.  (Tony)

(2009. Cast- Jamie Foxx, Robert Downey Jr., Catherine Keener) Grade B

Powerfully sad.  Heartbreaking mental illness.

Beautiful. Acting superb. (Heather)

Highlights  plight of the homeless (Kathy)

Great story, very sad movie (Richard)

Actually there’s two of them.  (Tony)

2007. Cast-Hilary Swank, Patrick Dempsey, Scott Glenn)  Grade B

Inspirational teacher. Stereotypical gang students.

Dangerous Minds was done better.  (Heather)

Patrick Dempsey will depress you.  (Tony)

The Killing Room 2009.jpg(2009. Cast- Chloe Sevigny, Timothy Hutton, Nick Cannon)  Grade C+

Brutal. Disturbing. Messed  Up. Torture.

(2o08. Cast- Keanu Reeves, Forrest Whitaker, Hugh Laurie)  Grade C+

Depressing.  Cops aren’t good guys.

(2008. Cast- Diane Lane, Billy Burke, Colin Hanks)  Grade C

Tech heavy predictable thriller. Average

Fast paced thriller (Violet)

(2007. Cast-Will Farrell, Jon Heder, Jenna Fischer, Amy Poehler, Will Arnett) Grade D+

Male skating pair.  Some laughs.

Soooo lame (Heather)

Ferrell as Elvis on skates. (Stephanie)

Makes figure skating less glorious.  (Tony)

January 30, 2010 - Posted by | 5 Word Movie Reviews |

1. I love the way you do this, and I may have to join in. I’ve been playing around with how to incorporate movies onto my blog, but unable to find a way I liked. Reviewing every movie I watch like it’s a book is a bit too much for me, but this whole 5 word deal is great!

Comment by Trisha | January 30, 2010 | Reply

• Oh, I do hope you’ll join me!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 30, 2010 | Reply

2. 1. Loved every bit of the visuals. It’s amazing.
    2. Great story, very sad movie.
    3. Haven’t seen it but will try to this weekend.
    4. Totally didn’t like it, very disturbing.

Comment by Richard | January 30, 2010 | Reply

• Richard, thanks for playing! Which movie didn’t you like?

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 30, 2010 | Reply

3. I haven’t seen even one of your movies. But I would like to see Freedom Writer. I enjoy these monthly wrap-ups. You do so well with the five words.

Comment by Margot | January 30, 2010 | Reply

4. I love AVATAR! It’s my favorite for now!

Comment by Alice Teh | January 30, 2010 | Reply

5. I love your words for Blades of Glory … pretty much on the money.

The only other one I saw was Avatar. I guess my 5 words would be: See it on big screen.

Comment by Jenners | January 30, 2010 | Reply

6. Haven’t seen Avatar yet but soooo want to. Soloist was beautiful and the acting was superb. Blades of Glory was soooo lame.

Comment by Heather | January 31, 2010 | Reply

7. The only one I’ve seen is The Soloist and I’d say it – highlights plight of the homeless. The book is great too and just a little bit different.

Comment by bermudaonion | January 31, 2010 | Reply

8. Avatar is one of the best movies I had seen this year (well, not that I’ve seen many but you get the point, LOL). It’s a pity that I didn’t get to watch it in 3D version.

Comment by Melody | February 1, 2010 | Reply

• It’s nice to know that you still loved it. For me the story was okay, but it was the special effects that were amazing.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 1, 2010 | Reply

9. I love the five words idea. I haven’t seen Avatar yet, but want to. Actually I haven’t seen any of these.

Comment by Carol | February 1, 2010 | Reply

10. I loved Freedom Writers. I thought it was very heartbreaking what all those kids went through.

I liked Untraceable too. It was fast paced thriller.

Comment by Violet | February 2, 2010 | Reply

11. Avatar:
    a stunning graphic masterpiece

Comment by Teddyree | July 29, 2011 | Reply

12. Avatar: Unobtainium? Really? but visually stunning.

Freedom Writers: Dangerous Minds was done better.

Comment by hmsgofita | December 29, 2012 | Reply

13. […] new movie – Avatar 3D.  But I did also post about one of my all-time faves – Pride and Prejudice, the mini-series […]

Pingback by A year of firsts and a look at BG (Before Gage) « Stacy's Books | January 5, 2016 | Reply