Common Thread Quiz

What is the common denominator in these book (and one movie) combinations?  Tell me the number and what you think the five books have in common,  Go ahead and take a guess – you could be right! If you are the first to get it right you will earn an extra entry in both of the giveaways I have going on right now.

1.Little House on the Prairie (Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder: Book CoverSharp Objects by Gillian Flynn: Book CoverIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote: Book CoverSarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan: Book CoverPersian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas: Book CoverSet in Kansas (Candice)

2.The Shining by Stephen King: Book CoverBeach Music by Pat Conroy: Book CoverCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageMain characters named Jack (Nise)

3.Cover ImageCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageBooks made into movies starring John Cusack (Mark)

4.Northanger Abbey (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) by Jane Austen: Book CoverThe Original of Laura by Vladimir Nabokov: Book CoverPirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton: Book CoverA Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole: Book CoverLook at the Birdie by Kurt Vonnegut: Book CoverPublished after author’s death (Hannah)

5.Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen: Book CoverCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageMagical Realism (Mary)

6.Cover ImageCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageThe IslandPirates! (Hannah)

7.Cover ImageCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageAuthors born in Ohio (Susan)

8.Cover ImageCover ImageCover ImageThe Castle by Franz Kafka: Book CoverEarly Autumn: A Story of a LadyFirst published in 1926 (Em)

9.Seducing Mr. Darcy by Gwyn Cready: Book CoverNot Another Bad Date by Rachel Gibson: Book CoverThe Edge of Impropriety by Pam Rosenthal: Book CoverOh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs: Book CoverTribute by Nora Roberts: Book Cover2009 RITA award winners (Mark)

10.Cover ImageCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageCover ImageOne degree of Kevin Bacon (Mark)

31 thoughts on “Common Thread Quiz

1. The old roomate says:

#3 are John Cusak movies. High Fidelity is one of my favs.

#10 are either 4 silly movies and 1 smart enough to feature Elizabeth Shue, or all 1 degree of Kevin Bacon movies.

2. Wrighty says:

You are so clever and I’ll be kicking myself (as usual) after I find out the answers. Hmmm… here’s going nothing! 🙂
    1) same location (midwest?)
    5) food, magic and romance (magical food that leads to romance?)
    6) island and/or boating
    7) motherhood and depression (Love Erma Bombeck!)

• stacybuckeye says:

4. Yes and no. Austen’s NA and Persuasion were both published at the same time. There’s just a bit more. You’re halfway there!

• stacybuckeye says:

Ooh, you had me intrigued, but no. As far as I can tell Kafka and Bromfield never served. If I’m wrong let me know. But that was such a good guess I’ll give you a hint…you are on the right track thinking of the time these books were published.

3. Jenners says:

OK … this is great but leaves me stumped. (Could be I’m way too tired.) For 1, I can see a connection between “In True Blood” and “Sharp Objects” but the rest don’t tie in. I’m curious to see the answers……

• stacybuckeye says:

Sorry. Kevin Bacon was in all of these films. You’ve heard of the games Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? It’s a silly game we played after college in the mid 90’s.
      The pressure to come up with fun quizzes sometimes has me staring blankly at the computer screen hours before I should be posting one. Actually, these common thread quizzes are the most fun, I think, but the hardest for me to come up with! Thanks for the compliment 🙂

4. The old roomate says:

9 is going to tick me off.

It is not:
    paranormal romances (the edge of impropriety and tribute don’t fit)
    characters incorporated into literature (unless you’re going to do something probably not quite right with Oh. My. Gods.)
    Not really romances kicked off by the death of a character(Seducing Mr. Darcy doesn’t fit the bill).

Soooo…somebody who, you know, reads, should probably take a shot here.

5. The old roomate says:

See, this is where my Y chromosome just gets in the way. I hear Rita and I think Bill Murray’s love interest in Groundhog Day. You say RITA and you mean a contest where Dragon Wytch should have won based on cover art alone.

Besides, since Oh. My. Gods. failed to win the Young Adult Romance category…well, that should mean something.

Nuts.