My Reread Project

I rarely read books twice.  As a teen I would read my favorites until they fell apart, but then I discovered there was a whole world of books I could love and stopped visiting my favorite characters.  When I posted my Favorite Movies list last year one of the ‘rules’ I made for myself was that I had to have seen the movie twice, how else was I to be a judge of it?  Maybe when I watched Rosemary’s Baby the first time I only liked it because I was watching it in the dark, alone, at 1 am?  Or The Breakfast Club only worked if I was watching as a teen?  I actually watched one movie on my list to do a review and decided it wasn’t a favorite after all.

What does this have to do with rereading books?  Well,  what I get out of a book is based on many things, not the least of which is what was going on in my life when I read it.  So, maybe if I read it five years later and I’m happier, sadder, more stressed out, whatever, I might have a completely different opinion of the book.  So, last year I decided to commit to rereading at least one book from my Favorite Books list every year.  Yes, if I only read one a year it will take me 100 years, so it is obviously not a perfect plan, but quite a few of the books on the list I have read more than once already.

I hadn’t decided which I was going to reread this year when I got an email from Brenda Joyce announcing that there would be a 9th book in the Deadly series out next year.  My decision was made.  I LOVE this series.  It is classified as romance, but there is always some mystery involved and I just can’t get enough of Francesca.  So, I’ll be reading the first eight books, one a week, until I’ve made it through.  Every Sunday, for the next two months, spend a little time with me, Francesca and her life in 1902 New York City.

This is part of the email from Brenda Joyce and I want to share it with you because it applies to so many of our favorite authors.

I would love to write 3 more Deadlies. Mira is interested, but it will depend on 2 factors. First, the level of enthusiasm in the coming six months when they try to “sell in” the books to the accounts (stores), and in 2011, the actual sales. I have no control over this; publishing is in a much greater, deeper recession than the overall economy. Books are only published when a publisher is actually willing to pay to do so! If Mira won’t publish these books, because of lack of sales, neither will anyone else. I want to be very clear. It is REALLY scary out there. Like all of you, I am interested in continuing to have a job. I cannot write 3 more titles if no one will publish them!

You can help! Give a friend an old, used book and get her hooked. Pitch the series to everyone, chat about it online in chat rooms and on reader websites. And of course, run out to buy those books when they go on sale!

I’m doing my part for the Deadly series because I love it, but we can all do this for our favorite authors and series.  As book bloggers many of us receive free books and it’s great, but if we’re not buying the books, who is?  So, don’t forget to sometimes shell out a little money to support your favorite authors.  I ordered the two books of this series I didn’t already own and can’t wait to delve back in to Francesca’s story!

11 thoughts on “My Reread Project

1. Trisha says:

Balancing new reads and re-reads is something I used to have a problem with. Book Blogging has made me re-read less for the past year or so, but now I joined a challenge that encourages re-reading. Ah, the ever present dilemma.

2. Janet says:

I love Brenda Joyce’s books. Thanks for reminding us that our favorite authors count on our support in order to keep the great stories coming. My daughter and I definitely do our share!

3. Kay says:

I’ve been looking for a new romance series to read. Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I’ll check it out. I am a re-reader at times. Especially as comfort reads. They just hit the spot sometimes.

4. Margot says:

Stacy, I am in total agreement with you on this subject. I’m also going to take a look at my favorite authors and make sure I am supporting them. I’d hate for them to have no one publishing them.

5. Melody says:

That’s a great project, Stacy! Sadly, I don’t have time for re-reads nowadays… and yes, I do love buying books! This is one habit I find so hard to break!! 😛

6. Wrighty says:

I haven’t read this series but I’ll be checking it out now. I don’t reread much, mainly because I have so many new books to read. There are some books that I have read again and found even more to like the second time around (Harry Potter series). I have had a few occasions where I went back and read a book again that I loved when I was younger and didn’t care for at all as an adult.

As soon as I started having children I rarely bought books for myself but bought many for them. I usually get my books from the library or buy used books. I do buy new books as gifts though and realize how important it is to the authors and the independent bookstores. I’m going to order a book right now!

7. Alice Teh says:

Great post, Stacy! Some books are worth re-reading and the ones that I would re-read is the LOTR trilogy. The ones I refer to again and again are some business books, but I’m not sure if those can be counted as re-reads. LOL!

8. Jennygirl says:

I would never have thought that Joyce would have a tough time selling books! I was going to try this series based on your review of number 2 in the series. Now I definitely will. I’ll look for for the first tomorrow. Won’t get to it until April but at least I’ll buy it.

9. Thoughts of Joy says:

I am not a rereader – at all! I’ve only reread professional books or a quick reread for a book club meeting, if I had read it prior. So, if I were to reread anything, I like your plan – 1 book a year. 🙂 However, I fully agree that the timing of everything in our lives affects our feelings regarding the books we read. I actually can’t imagine coming out with the exact same feelings on the second time around. There are just too many “new” books I want to get to.