Last month I reviewed Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I listened to the cds and I’d like to pass them on to a lucky blogger. It was a fun story and has been getting rave reviews around the blogoshere. I am looking forward to the sequel!
If you’d like to win (Unabridged, 8 cds, 10 hours) just leave a comment with an email address.
A winner will be randomly chosen on June 30th. Good luck!
Yesterday I gave away a few books from my cleaning spree and today I’m offering up 2 DVDs. Just leave me a comment telling me which one you want (or both!) and I’ll draw a winner at noon on MAY 14th.
1. The Memoirs of a Geisha. 2005
2. Regarding Henry. 1991
Good luck and happy viewing!
April just flew by and I have a hard time pinpointing exactly when all of my personal goals got put aside. So, April was a wash and the same goals will re-apply for May. My Recent Favorite Books on my Zagat Restaurant Guide from last month. Congrats
The good news is that I did a little cleaning, stress on the little part, and I found a few repeats on my shelves and I’m going to share them with YOU! Just leave a comment and tell me which one or ones you want (you can win more than one) and I’ll draw winners at noon on MAY 14th.
1. Collision Bend by Les Roberts. Part of a mystery series set in Cleveland. I haven’t gotten to this one yet, but I love the series.
2. Skylight Confessions by Alice Hoffman. Love Hoffman! Brand new.
3. Little Children by Tom Perrotta. I think I picked this up (twice!) because Jenners raved about him. Brand new.
Good luck and happy reading.
I’ve decided to add a new feature to by blog and I hope you’ll like it. It will replace my free books for the month post. There is a free book in this post somewhere but you must read on to find it :) They’ll be free book with each of these wrap-ups.
So, I bought this great planner because I decided to enter the world of the productive again instead of the “I’ve got a baby and I can’t get anything done” whine that I had been using. I make monthly, weekly, and daily goals and I have a way to track them. I get to check off goals and it makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something. I had 5 daily goals for the month: 10,000 steps (22/31), meditation reading (29/31), 8 glasses of water (keep in mind that I HATE water 22/31), a note to Jason (14/22), One Line Mom Diary (29/31). I think I did okay and look forward to improving on these numbers in January.
I’ve added two more things to my daily goals for February. One is a secret til the end of the month, but it is a true challenge and the other is this challenge…
A Month of Letters. This goes along with my bucket list goal of writing 1000 letters, so I’m going to give it a try. Why not join in? If I have your address don’t be surprised to find something in the mail from me this month I want to thank Care for helping me find this one.
I have a friend named Molly, some of you may know her as the Bumble, and she has been doing a series of posts about lessons learned in Regina Brett’s book, God Never Blinks. I have enjoyed this series and hope you are reading it too. Regina is a local writer and has a new book titled Be the Miracle. She will be signing books in the area this month and I plan on attending one of these events. Would you like to win a signed copy? Just leave me your email address in a comment. I’ll accept entries until I attend the signing, but neither of us knows when that is so better do it now, the next signing is Sunday :)
Those are my thoughts for my January goals and a few of my plans for February. Are you someone who needs a list to accomplish things, too?
Next Tuesday, local professor and acclaimed author, Thrity Umrigar (The Space Between Us, The Weight of Heaven) will be visiting our local Barnes & Noble to talk and sign copies of her latest book, The World We Found. Bonnie (Redlady’s Reading Room) and I plan on meeting there for the event.
To celebrate a new year (on Saturday Stacy’s Books will be starting year 5!) I’m going to have a copy signed for one lucky blog reader. I’ll have Gage draw a name on Tuesday before I go so that it can be personalized for the winner.
How to enter-
1 entry – leave a comment with your email address
1 entry – participate in my weekly quiz (Writers Lost in 2011) No need to tell me, I have your names.
1 entry – tweet about it (and let me know)
Deadline to enter- January 10th at noon. Good luck
Every month for the past 3 years I’ve given away 3-4 books a month from my boxes/shelves and they’ve always gone to he first commenter. This year I’m going to try something just a bit different. If you want the book, let me know by a comment and at midnight tonight if more than one person wants the same book I’ll draw a name out of a hat.
After a day, it’s first come, first booked!
1 & 2 Cherry Ames, The Mystery of Rogue’s Cave & The Case of the Forgetful Patient by Helen Wells. These mysteries (originally published in 1959,1960) are in decent shape. There is a whole series and it looks like there are still fans since they are selling boxed sets! Both are 180 pages. for Kim (Gage chose the 3 puzzle piece over the 1. Very scientific)
3 The Theban Plays by Sophocles. This was a college book so there are a few notes inside, but you can just consider them helpful hints. Includes the stories Oedipus and Antigone. 168 pages.
Obviously I was feeling very obscure this month. Why not ring in the New Year with books written a really long time ago, LOL!
In my ongoing quest to keep books moving out and not just in I give away a few books each month. Leave a comment, tell me which book you want and I’ll get the book to you for FREE either by mail or personally if I’ll see you soon. The first one to request each book wins. Once you’ve ‘won’ the book I can get your shipping address if I need it. Also, you can come back and get a free book every month if you want. These have all been read a time or two.
All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. non-fiction mass market. copyright 1972. 499 pages. B&N review here. for Kim
Summerhills by D.E. Stevenson. mass market fiction. copyright 1956. 316 pages. B&N review here. for Sam
Well, the big day has come and gone but the giveaways are still open until October 19. Thanks for letting me share some of my memories and lists with you as I reached a milestone birthday. Here’s a list of the stuff you can still enter to win. My giveaways are always open internationally. Most of them you just need to leave a comment.
When I join a challenge I plan to finish it. Last week I mentioned that my dad had a stubborn streak and I think that plays a part for me. I have 5 books left over from a 2010 challenge, plus a few other challenges to finish this year and I’m determined to do it. I need your help with two challenges.
I signed up to read, review and give away 12 books this year and I’m offering up the 3 books I have left to finish the challenge. Skinny Legs & All by Tom Robbins (trade paperback), Emma by Jane Austen (trade paperback), Emerald Dreams by Carolyn Bourne (hardcover)and they have all been read one time by me.
I also need your help to finish the States challenge. This is the 3rd year I’ve tried this one and I’d like to check it off this year.
Please recommend a book from the blank states for me and the shorter the better :) Here’s the challenge page for the 21 states I have left.
I’ll choose winners on October 19th.
I grew up surrounded by family and we spent a lot of time together. My cousin Amy and I put on lots of “shows” that I’m sure everyone just loved ;) That’s me on the left and my cousin Sarah between us. Amy was actually a good dancer. I took two years of something called acro and remained terrible.
Amy and I did not go to the same school but we were roommates at Ohio State and maid/matron of honor at each other’s weddings
Maybe I was in 5th grade or so here? I really don’t know.
Win a B&N gift card here.
Win a journal and chocolate here.
1. That first smile greeting me in the morning is my favorite one.
2. But the rest of them are pretty good too.
3. Baby toes are the best.
4. Little fingers gripping mine.
5. Seeing myself and Jason in him.
6. Grandparent visits.
8. Watching Gage chase Max. Poor Max.
9. Bedtime kisses.
10. Clean bill of health doctor visits.
11. Knowing that after 28+ hours of labor I can pretty much do anything.
12. Hearing Gage say mama (even though he has yet to actually say it to me).
13. Watching Gage learn new things.
14. Dancing with my little man.
15. Hearing Gage laugh with Jason.
16. When he falls asleep in the car seat.
17. Watching Gage brighten people’s day when he chats them up as we’re out running errands.
18. Seeing that Gage loves books and reading to him when he takes the book out of his mouth long enough.
19. Having a closer relationship with my mom.
20. I’m not nearly so concerned with my own crap anymore.
21. Sleeping all night with no interruptions. This does happen sometimes.
22. Saturday mornings when Jason takes over and I get to sleep in.
23. As a genealogy nut it’s nice to see another branch added to the family tree.
24. The pressure of having a perfect body has melted away (as the pounds have packed on).
25. Being able to stay at home with Gage is a blessing (but I still need mom mental health days)
26. Gage hugs.
27. Showing him new things.
28. Listening to his nonsense babble.
29. Having the best baby-rearing partner in Jason. He’s an awesome dad.
30. Knowing that the 1st year is hardest and it will get easier (if I am wrong on this, please don’t tell me!)
31. Buying baby clothes, even for boys, is more fun that I thought it would be.
32. Taking Gage to My Gym and library storytimes are fun for both of us.
33. Finally! Someone who likes my singing.
34. The love.
35. A baby really cuts into reading time, LOL!
36. The constant need to change my clothes and his.
37. The knowledge that most of what’s happening is really out of your control.
38. There are no sick days for mom.
39. Those cute teeth are sharp and he’s not afraid to use them! (He’s up to 8 teeth :))
40. Feeling like a big failure at least once a day.
Just leave a comment and you’ll be entered to win this beautiful journal and Godiva truffle bar. It really is a beautful lined journal-I have one myself.
I’ll draw a winner on October 19th.
I’m 5 1/2 here and have the 1970’s hair flip (think Charlie’s Angels) and denim outfit going on.