This Week – Immersive Valentines

On Valentine’s Day I took my two loves to the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit. I went with my mom in December and knew that they would love it. If you have a chance to see it make sure you do.

Other highlights of the week – Two Gage doctor appointments, both with very different opinions. I’m currently on the fence and have a ton more research to do. Instead of doing that, I have cleaned our laundry room top to bottom and I’m exhausted, lol.

The board of our Friends of Library group welcomed 4 new board members on Monday and I successfully balanced the books for the month. Only 11 more months as treasurer (not that I’m counting or anything. I hate being in charge of this much money).

ETR phone meeting complete. IEP coming up on Tuesday. Sending positive energy my way for that would be appreciated. Since he’s a homeschool kid I’m not stressing too much because if I send him back to public school we have to redo the whole process anyway. It feels like wasted time that’s only going to stress me out. Have you had to be part of an IEP meeting? It’s a group of educators taking turns telling you what your child’s deficits are. Can it be useful? Yes. As a parent do I usually end up crying in the car after? Yes.

Currently reading

Books read this year – 68

Posts this week

Two Good Books

Cybils Award Winners

On TV

Jason and I flew through season 2 of Discovery of Witches. Looking forward to the concluding third season.

Movies

We watched this with Gage since he liked the first one.

Puzzles Completed

Plans for the weekend

I’m not sure, but the weather will be nice tomorrow so we’ll do something outside. What about you?

I’m linking up with The Solon Salon at Readerbuzz.

12 thoughts on “This Week – Immersive Valentines

1. Mary says:

Sending positive energy your way, Stacy. My sister went through IEPs for one of her kids. He’s now 21 and doing well but it was very stressful at the time.
    Cute puzzle. I haven’t done one in months. Enjoy the nice weather today. My mom is in the hospital so I’ll be spending time there.

2. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz says:

My friend, Lisa, was her child’s biggest advocate and she helped him get a fabulous education by speaking up for him at IEPs. Yes, very stressful, though.

My sister loved Quiet Place and had us watch it on one of our Sunday movie nights.

The immersive Van Gogh exhibit sounds really great. My favorite museum in Paris has lots of Van Gogh. I marveled that I was able to be in the same room with such amazing work and to be able to sit with it as long as I liked.

• stacybuckeye says:

Immersive Van Gogh is a new kind of art, really. It’s a one room exhibit with video on all the wall and floors. The video is a changing interpretation of Van Gogh’s pieces. The music paired with it is haunting and beautiful. It takes a little over an hour to sit through it twice. IEPs are stressful and being an advocate is a good thing. Since Gage has only ever gone to private school or now school at home I’ve not really pushed too hard. It will become important if he goes to public and to a lesser extent, private, since they aren’t required to follow it to the letter anyway.

• stacybuckeye says:

The IEPs are just sad because you’re sitting around talking about what your kid lacks instead of all the things he’s great at. I only read the first of the Discovery of Witches trilogy and that was years ago, so I’m not sure how closely they are following the books, but it’s a well done series.

3. Mae Sander says:

I love Van Gough, and have seen many of his works in the VanGough museum in Amsterdam and in the collections in Paris and elsewhere. My visit to the asylum near Arles, where he lived in some of the last months of his life, seemed to me to be very immersive! The irises were blooming and the twisted trees in the orchard looked like his work.

best…. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

4. gulfsidemusing says:

I’m so happy to read your comments about the Van Gogh immersive exhibit… just found out today that it’s coming to Sarasota, FL! That’s close enough for a day trip and I’m thrilled. We wanted to see it in Miami, but Covid put us off and then the timing didn’t work out for Buffalo.

Good luck with the IEP meeting!

5. Lesley says:

I would love to see an Immersive Van Gogh exhibit. It came to Portland (OR), but we were still too concerned about Covid to even consider it, but maybe it will return.

Pema Chodron’s book is one that I’ve often considered reading. How did you like it?

I hope all goes well with the IEP meeting. It must be mentally exhausting to sit through something like that. {Hugs!}

6. Gofita says:

Hugs! I hope the IEP meeting is useful and effective. But yeah it’s so tough. Be kind and compassionate with yourself! Gage is learning loads and he’s inquisitive and you know what he needs. So take what is useful and throw out the rest! Big hugs, momma.

Van Gogh is here in Salt Lake and we need to go before it leaves! Probably next weekend or the one after. Thanks for reminding me. I keep hearing how amazing it is.

What a cute puzzle! We still have a whole stack of puzzles that need to be done from Christmas! lol. I hope you can get out and enjoy the outdoors with your nice weather. We just got hit with another snowstorm. We may get out and build a snowman this week…