My yearly mountain of owned and unread books started small, got completely out of hand and is slowly taking a turn for the better. Every year around this time I recreate my unread book stacks adding in new books. For many years I brought in more than I read and that became a problem. A big book problem.
- My first Mt TRB (To Be Read) looked like this and I didn’t even bother to count the books.
- I compared that pic to this year’s and found 97 books that have been on my shelves, unread, for 10 years. Yikes!
- My biggest wall was in 2015 with 876 books.
- Since 2015 I’ve slowly been bringing that number down my reading more of what I own and donating.
- This year I read 25 and donated or gave away 92.
- I brought in 55 new books.
- The past few years I’ve used some of Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-a-Thon time to recreate the wall, exactly the same every year minus the books read or donated. I listen to audio books while I work.
- I prep the stacks during the week using the lists I have for every pile.
- Getting the wall made and then put away takes many hours and is a good workout for read-a-thon time.
- This year’s Mt. TBR clocks in at a robust, but not totally unmanageable
Last year I read 74 book so if I kept that pace I could get all of these books read in less than 10 years. #goals
What about you? How many unread books do you have in your house?
5 thoughts on “Y- Top Ten Yearly Mt. TBR facts”
WOW! Your book numbers! Both the read 74 books and the pile of 678 that need to be read! I had to go on a book buying break when I realized I wasn’t keeping up with reading the books I was buying. Now I rarely buy a book, but inevitably I always end up putting my bought books on the backburner to do other things despite having a yearly reading goal. Maybe one day I’ll get back to reading as much as I buy…
How do you decide which books to donate? Are they books you realize you will just never get around to reading? Do you ever regret donating certain books?
35 plus A Clockwork Orange in Hungarian, because for $1 how could I not.
678? Clearly, you have a bigger home than I do.
I don’t want to think about how many unread books I have but I have been working on getting rid of some of them this spring.
I look forward to your photo every year – LOL! A growing portion of my Mt. TBR is now digital, but I have been trying to keep the shelves under control. Seems to be a losing battle…
Love seeing your mountain of books every year! I think I finally have less on my stacks than you! That is only counting the ones in my home, my stacks wander to the kids homes.