Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Title: Cat's Cradle, Author: Kurt VonnegutFinished 9-4-17, rating 4.5/ 5, classic fiction, 191 pages, pub. 1963

Told with deadpan humour & bitter irony, Kurt Vonnegut’s cult tale of global destruction preys on our deepest fears of witnessing Armageddon &, worse still, surviving it …

Dr Felix Hoenikker, one of the founding ‘fathers’ of the atomic bomb, has left a deadly legacy to the world. For he’s the inventor of ‘ice-nine’, a lethal chemical capable of freezing the entire planet. The search for its whereabouts leads to Hoenikker’s three ecentric children, to a crazed dictator in the Caribbean, to madness. Felix Hoenikker’s Death Wish comes true when his last, fatal gift to humankind brings about the end, that for all of us, is nigh…  from Goodreads

I haven’t read Vonnegut since Slaughterhouse-Five in college, a book I disliked.  So, imagine my surprise when I found myself charmed by this one.  The father of the hydrogen bomb made something even more deadly and, left in the hands of his three children, the fate of the world is in peril.  John, a writer and our narrator, finds himself drawn into the lives of these offspring and sent on an adventure that would leave the world changed forever.  This book was a hoot in its absurdity, but pointed in its observations of humanity.  Vonnegut has won me over.

This was my 13th selection for the Classics Club and I have until January 1, 2020 to get to 50.  I am woefully behind!

September 11, 2017 - Posted by | 4 1/2 Star Books

1. I’ve never read Vonnegut but know I should try one of his books.

Comment by BermudaOnion | September 11, 2017 | Reply

• I think this is the one to try. It’s accessible, funny, and from what I’ve seen is a favorite of Vonnegut fans.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 11, 2017 | Reply

2. I hope you will try some of his others. I found that they are more like this one than like Saughterhouse.

Comment by Melissa | September 12, 2017 | Reply

• I have Mother Night on my shelf too 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 12, 2017 | Reply

3. I need to read me some Kurt Vonnegut.

Comment by hmsgofita | September 12, 2017 | Reply

• I think you would really like this one!!

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 12, 2017 | Reply

4. Maybe I should want to read this one instead of trying Slaughter House Five. I believe I have it on my TBR pile along with Mother Night. I have yet to give his work a try. I never had to read him for school.

Comment by Literary Feline | September 17, 2017 | Reply