2017 First Book and One Word

Each year Sheila at Book Journey hosts First Book and First Word.  I’ve done the First Book for a few years and here’s this year’s selection…

img_1956Here be Dragons:A Parent’s Guide to Redicovering Purpose, Adventure, and the Unfathomable Joy of the Journey by Annmarie Kelly Harbaugh and Ken Harbaugh.  Annmarie contacted me in October to read the new book she had written with her husband.  I saw that she was local and decided to take it.  I started it in November, but since I was writing a book (NaNoWriMo) I was wasn’t devoting much time to reading.  I decided to table it until the new year and here we are. I will be picking it up on page 53, after she’s had her first baby and decides she needs to go back to work.  The book is good and the Harbaugh’s sound like the couple everyone wants to be friends with (hey, we’re local so who knows? ;)).

One Word is something Sheila does every year and I’ve always been intrigued by those who could decide on just one word.  In the last week or so a word came to me and I’m going with it.  Those who know me or follow me on Facebook or Twitter know that the election in November saddened me for so many reasons.  I think we are in for a tough, long four years, BUT in a way it also opened the door for me to become passionate again.  I plan on using Facebook and Twitter to highlight my word every day this year.

I want to live an INSPIRED life.  I want to be inspired by God, my country, my community, my family and friends, and myself.  I want to weed out the noise and negativity and look around that the good that is happening all around me.  When I see an injustice or a problem I don’t just want to complain about it. I want to find the people who are doing something about it and become one of them.  I want to look outside at the beautiful earth we live on and be inspired to be a steward. I want to be inspired by those who know God. I want to find those changing the world and support them.  At first it seems that inspired can be a passive word, but if you are truly INSPIRED you will be changed and have the power to inspire those around you.

What’s your first book of the year? And did you choose a word this year?  Why not be inspired along with me?

January 1, 2017 - Posted by | Uncategorized

1. What a great word, Stacy! I have chosen a word too, but am still working on a post around it–if I decide to post about it on my blog, that is. 🙂

I love the title of your first book of the year. 🙂 I hope you enjoy it! I am finishing up a novel and will be starting a new one later today.

Have a Happy New Year, Stacy!

Comment by Literary Feline | January 1, 2017 | Reply

• I liked some of the words I read on your FB post 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 3, 2017 | Reply

2. I think inspired sounds great this year. My word has been active. Setting and accomplishing my goals. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your journey!

Comment by Heather | January 1, 2017 | Reply

3. That sounds like a perfect book to start the new year! Happy New Year!

Comment by BermudaOnion | January 1, 2017 | Reply

• Thanks 🙂 Happy 2017 to you too 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 3, 2017 | Reply

4. Great word, great purpose for 2017! I haven’t heard of this book, but hope it’s a winner for you!

Comment by Rita @ View From My Books | January 1, 2017 | Reply

5. A perfect book to start the year… and it works well with your one word, too. Happy 2017!

Comment by lakesidemusing | January 1, 2017 | Reply

6. Happy New Year Stacy. I hope you are Inspired and Inspire others in 2017. Enjoy your choice.

Comment by Tea Time with Marce | January 1, 2017 | Reply

7. Sounds like an interesting book. I hope you get to meet up with the Harbaughs! Happy New Year to you and yours. Great word and reason for it!

Comment by Mary | January 1, 2017 | Reply

• Thanks Mary. It’s going to be a challenge to stay inspired this year I think, but I’m game for trying 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 3, 2017 | Reply

8. This book sounds like such a great one to start the year with as well as adding to your one word. Happy New Year.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | January 1, 2017 | Reply

9. The book sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy it. Great choice of word for you this year. 🙂

Happy New Year!

Comment by truebookaddict | January 2, 2017 | Reply

10. […] isn’t acceptable.  So, I thought back to my one word that I was trying to focus on this year, INSPIRED, and decided to let that help me focus on a month of writing letters. Instead of only writing to […]

Pingback by Letters of Appreciation - Loganberry Books - My 30 Day Challenges | April 1, 2017 | Reply