The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman

Title: The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax Series #2), Author: Dorothy GilmanThe Amazing Mrs. Pollifax. Finished 6-12-16, rating 4/5, mystery, 172 pages, pub. 1970

When Emily Pollifax answers the phone that Sunday morning, she quickly forgets all about her Garden Club tea that afternoon. For the voice on the other end belonged to a man she had never seen, a man from the CIA who asked her if she could leave immediately on a mission that would take her halfway across the world! What could Mrs. Pollifax say but yes?    from Goodreads

Mrs. Pollifax is a widower in her 60’s and instead of settling down to garden club meetings she has become an improbable asset to the CIA.  This is her second case and she heads to Turkey to try to make contact with a double agent being sought by a seemingly endless list of countries.  As Emily Pollifax makes friends in the most unlikely of places, the authorities  and bad guys close in.

I read a few of the Mrs. Pollifax series way before I became obsessed with reading series’ in order and I have to say that it’s okay.  Emily is just as delightful in any order 🙂 I like learning about the exotic locales that Emily is sent to and really liked learning about the gypsies in this one.

I recommend this series to cozy mystery fans and fans of Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple.

June 23, 2016 - Posted by | 4 Star Books, Uncategorized |

1. I love the fact that Mrs. Pollifax is more “mature.”

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 24, 2016 | Reply

2. Such great books!

Comment by holdenj | June 24, 2016 | Reply

3. I love books with older women. It sounds interesting. Since I’m trying to break my “must read series in order rule”, I might give one of her books a try.

Comment by Vicki | June 24, 2016 | Reply

4. I have not discovered Mrs. Pollifax – thanks for the introduction. I will check her out.

Comment by Rosemary Wolfe, NoChargeBookbunch | June 25, 2016 | Reply

5. Looks interesting.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | June 26, 2016 | Reply

6. […] I had already started (Cormoran Strike, Jack Reacher, Kinsey Millhone, Harry Potter, Lincoln Rhyme, Mrs. Pollifax, Myron Bolitar, Lucas […]

Pingback by 2016 Book Favorites and Stats « Stacy's Books | December 29, 2016 | Reply