Sundays with Gage – Scopes, Stress & a Tip

Because of Gage’s ongoing issue with what we thought was acid reflux, he had an upper scope done on Wednesday and I was freaked out about it.  A couple of the doctors that we’ve seen this past year told me not to do it, one even citing the new research on what anesthesia can do a child’s brain, especially “sensitive ones” (said as she nodded to Gage).  I already knew enough to be worried, but once we decided  that we couldn’t wait any longer I did my research and talked to the other moms in my online group.  And when I heard from the anesthesiologist I sent her a few articles that I hoped she might take a look at, lol.  Yes, I am that mother!  Here are the three I sent her

(http://www.autism.com/pro_anesthesia

and she not only responded within a day but we exchanged more emails and she was very patient with me.  Here’s the thing, there is always a risk for regression in people on the spectrum after anesthesia. This is from one of her emails, “I want to make sure you understand that despite our best efforts, he could still have complications and possible regression of his ASD.”  I know some people were wondering why I was so worried about a routine scope, but there it is.

There were actually more health concerns that we addressed (mitochondrial issues being one) but I won’t bog this post down in medical talk.  I do want to say that if you know a child who will be using anesthesia, even for something routine, there are precautions you can take to make it safer.  Sometimes you don’t even know kids have a mitochondrial issue until something bad happens.  Feel free to check out the above articles or shoot me and email.

Anyway, the procedure was a success in all ways possible.   It took 15 minutes, he woke up five minutes after they wheeled him back to us, and has been his sassy self ever since.  They saw nothing with the camera and all the biopsies came back negative so she told me to take him off Zantac, woohoo!  We have a follow-up next week to see where we go from here, but I’m guessing it’s going to take more investigating by me to figure out our next move.  A mother’s job is never done and while I wouldn’t have it any other way, sometimes I wish it were a bit easier  🙂

IMG_5719WaitingIMG_5721Blood pressure check (good thing they didn’t check mine!)IMG_5727Getting instructionsIMG_5732Daddy got to go back with him until he fell asleepIMG_5734And 30 minutes later. He did great.  After we got home I told him he had been a big boy and he said, “I know. That’s what I was trying to be.”

January 24, 2016 - Posted by | Gage

1. Gage is such a trooper. SO glad all tests were negative! Thanks for the links.

Comment by Vicki | January 24, 2016 | Reply

• He amazes me everyday by how easily he can handle doctor stuff. He does way better than me and I’m 44 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 24, 2016 | Reply

2. Aw, glad to hear it went so well. What a trooper (both Gage and you)!

Comment by clicksclan | January 24, 2016 | Reply

3. You are totally to be admired for your concern and your communications with the anesthesiologist. I think that many things that go wrong in surgery have been related to the anesthesiologist, who doesn’t get enough attention as an important part of surgeries. And so cute what Gage said about being a big boy! Fortunately for Gage, he is also a boy with great parents! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | January 24, 2016 | Reply

• Jill, thank you for your ever positive words, they mean a lot to me, especially on days when I’m barely holding it together. You, my friend, are awesome 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 26, 2016 | Reply

4. I’m so glad that he did so well…and good for Gage being such a big boy!

Comment by pinkim95 | January 24, 2016 | Reply

5. Glad Gage did well and the results were good. You are an amazing mom!!

Comment by lakesidemusing | January 24, 2016 | Reply

• Thanks Joann! All encouragement is truly appreciated 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 26, 2016 | Reply

6. Thanks for updating us and sharing the pics! You guys all look great and I’m sure you were so nervous. I would have been. However, it looks like progress has been made and Gage’s comment is precious. So glad it went well.

Comment by Kay | January 24, 2016 | Reply

7. Way to go, Gage!!

Comment by Mary | January 24, 2016 | Reply

8. Gage is such a brave boy! Give him a hug for me. Glad you survived as well, and I am so happy you had an anesthesiologist that listened and addressed your concerns!

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | January 24, 2016 | Reply

9. Gage was so brave! Happy to hear the test results were negative.

Comment by samstillreading | January 25, 2016 | Reply

10. I am glad everything went well, Stacy. Good for you for being on top of everything and being THAT parent. It’s important to advocate for your child.

Comment by Literary Feline | January 25, 2016 | Reply

• Sometimes I tire of being THAT parent. It’s exhausting 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 26, 2016 | Reply

11. I’m so glad it all worked out fine! He’s such a brave little boy. You guys are amazing. Hugs and loves from me! being an advocate for your own child is amazing. I’m so happy that doctor worked with you.

Comment by hmsgofita | January 28, 2016 | Reply