You by Caroline Kepnes

fpoYou. Finished 10-28-15, rating 2.5/5, fiction, pub. 2014

Unabridged audio read by Santino Fontana, 13 hours

When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.  from Goodreads

So this creepfest begins in a New York City bookstore where our neighborhood psycho, Joe, becomes obsessed with Guinevere Beck during the few minutes she was in the bookstore.  Using all of the tools that technology allows he finds and follows her and finds a way to secure her cell phone and boyfriend, leaving Beck little chance but to fall into his web.

Everyone I know and love as bloggers has loved this one and I tried to take some time after I finished to figure out why I didn’t like it.  I really, really didn’t like it.  Was it that Fontana’s narration was too good and made me feel like I had just spent time with a scary sleazeball at a bar?  Was it the 2nd person point of view that left nothing redeemable in Joe?  Could it have been the glaring holes/ridiculous plot points that made this seem silly?  I don’t know.  Everyone else loved these things about the book but they didn’t work for me.

Joe was a scary dude and I was relieved when our time together was over.

Kathy sent me the cds and I would be happy to pass them on if anyone is interested.  Listen and see for yourself if you love it like the masses 🙂  Leave me a comment and I’ll send it your way.

November 13, 2015 - Posted by | 2 1/2 Stars or Less |

1. Aw, sorry to see this didn’t work for you. Yes, some of it was implausible but it reeled me in hook, line, and sinker.

Comment by BermudaOnion | November 13, 2015 | Reply

• Honestly, the narration might have just been too good. I’ve known a few Joes and he freaked me out!

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 13, 2015 | Reply

2. I was one of those that loved it. And wooohooo, there’s a sequel coming in February.

I think the audio made it creepier for you than it would have been in print. And that was definitely some creepy audio.

Comment by Leslie | November 13, 2015 | Reply

• LOL! I think I’ll be skipping the sequel 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 13, 2015 | Reply

• Yeah, I guess that sounded sarcastic. But it is true, there is a sequel.

Comment by Leslie | November 13, 2015

• haha! I laughed, it’s all good 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 13, 2015

3. I’d love to listen to this, and then pass it on to someone else.

Comment by Vicki | November 13, 2015 | Reply

• Ok! I’ll get them in the mail next week!

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 13, 2015 | Reply

4. Just the reviews alone have creeped me out, so I don’t think I’ll be trying this one!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | November 14, 2015 | Reply

5. I gave up on this one after about 50 pages – made me feel like I needed to take a shower every time I tried to read it!

Comment by booksandmoviescarriek | November 14, 2015 | Reply

• Good to know I wasn’t alone!!

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 14, 2015 | Reply

6. The premise certainly sounds creepy! I am sorry you didn’t like this one, Stacy. I haven’t read it, but I admit to being curious.

Comment by Literary Feline | November 15, 2015 | Reply

7. I don’t know this book. But I know I’m not going to run out and get it!

Comment by Lloyd Russell | November 16, 2015 | Reply

8. This does sound interesting, I’ve seen too many Bollywood movies with the same storyline. I don’t think I would want to read a book with the same. Sorry this didn’t work for you.

Comment by Violet Crush | November 16, 2015 | Reply