Sundays with Gage – Camps and Cleveland

I feel like I have been absent from the blogging world this summer even though I have posted a few things and visited a few of you.  The first few weeks meant lots of Gage and mommy time and the last few have been camps and a quick July 4th trip to Michigan. IMG_3658[1]This is a picture of a picture so sorry about the glare.  Here he is at nature camp, 5th one from the left.  These are 3&4 year olds and the camp is 3 hours, up to half of that walking through the miles of trails they have.  He likes it a lot and will be going 4 more weeks this summer.  It’s in Shaker Heights and takes us 20 minutes in rush hour to get there. I spent the first week exploring the area by walks of my own and some shopping.  I’ve already told Jason I would love to live the area near the nature center. IMG_3577[1]This last week I took him downtown for week of camp at the Great Lakes Science Center.  This is picture is from first day drop off, there were 15 kids in his group.  Unfortunately, camp was from 8:30-11:30 which meant I was driving during rush hour.  It normally took 35 minutes but one day it took an hour! I decided to treat this camp as a mini-break for me and spent some time exploring the waterfront area, one day my mom joined me and one day I met Jason for coffee.  It was a fun week, but by the time we got home for lunch every day I was exhausted!  He loved this camp too, but I’m honestly not sure how much science was going on.  On the first day Gage’s favorite thing was riding the elevator and the rest of the days I heard a lot about the indoor playground. Cleveland gets a bad rap much of the time so I want to share a few pics I took so you can see that it has some beauty too. IMG_3579[1]IMG_3613[1]IMG_3645[1]The Science Center from the front, back, and inside.  Yes, that is the back of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame from the inside and those benches between the two buildings were my favorite reading spot.IMG_3602[1] A few fun views of the Rock and Roll Hall of FameIMG_3594[1].IMG_3582[1].IMG_3600[1]. On the other side of the HOF is the Coast Guard. I walked by at 9:10 one morning and they were playing a game of football outside. You might be able to see them if you look closely.IMG_3639[1] As I walked out to edge of Lake Erie it got quieter and more peacefulIMG_3642[1]. IMG_3618[1]The Arcade is beautiful and attached to the Hyatt if you are ever looking to stay. And now indulge me further with a few photos of the Eastman Reading Garden between the Historic Main Library and the newer Louis Stokes Wing.  I was enchanted. IMG_3619[1]IMG_3625[1]IMG_3621[1]    IMG_3623[1]IMG_3626[1]

Have you been to Cleveland?

Fun fact –  Cleveland was home to the first electric traffic signal in 1914.

July 12, 2015 - Posted by | Uncategorized

1. It sounds like Gage is having a great time this summer! We used to go boating on Lake Erie when I lived in Columbus and so I loved that photo! I have been to Cleveland, we rented a house in the suburbs one year for the summer when my father worked away from home.

Comment by Vicki | July 12, 2015 | Reply

• What suburb were you in? You might not remember 🙂 There were 4 boats docked in back of the R&R HOF (I wonder how much that costs?!) and they were all out on the lake by 9 am.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 12, 2015 | Reply

2. Those sound like great camps for Gage! I’ve never been to Cleveland but it looks lovely. The only place in Ohio I’ve spent any time is Akron.

Comment by BermudaOnion | July 12, 2015 | Reply

• Hm, not sure what there is to see in Akron? Firestone Golf Course? Stan Hywet Hall?

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 12, 2015 | Reply

3. What lovely pictures! Glad to know that Gage has been a camper at several camps and is enjoying it. And I’m also glad you got to take some time for yourself and do some walks and exploring. I bet that was good for you, the rush hour traffic not withstanding. 🙂

I love that Reading Garden and no, I’ve never been to Cleveland or Ohio at all. One day maybe.

Comment by Kay | July 12, 2015 | Reply

• I have enjoyed the two weeks of exploring, even if that meant I got nothing done 🙂 I think I may come home after dropping him off in the morning and see if it’s worth it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 12, 2015 | Reply

4. I’m glad Gage is having fun at his camps, and that you are able to enjoy yourself while he is there! I’ve never been to Cleveland, but the pictures you’ve shared are lovely.

Comment by lakesidemusing | July 12, 2015 | Reply

• So many people who haven’t been to Cleveland! I’m going to have to get you all here sometime 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 12, 2015 | Reply

5. I have not been to Cleveland. I enjoyed your pictures. The camps look like great fun and I am sure Gage enjoyed them.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | July 12, 2015 | Reply

6. Love the pics. Milwaukee gets a bad rap too but I think it’s a great secret 🙂 Lake Michigan and our shoreline is gorgeous. The kiddos look so happy in the first pic.

Comment by Mary | July 13, 2015 | Reply

7. I am so glad Gage is enjoying camp. I love nature areas, and often wish I lived closer to one. Anywhere away from the city, really. The photos of Cleveland you shared are gorgeous, Stacy. No, I’ve never had a chance to go before.

Comment by Literary Feline | July 19, 2015 | Reply

8. It’s a good kind of busy 🙂 I appreciate you stopping by. My life is so hectic right now that I’m still letting the blog slide.

Comment by kelley | July 20, 2015 | Reply

9. I bet Gage had a blast. I miss the days when amber went to a week long camp at the Natural history museum in Pittsburgh in the summer. I loved just hanging out in town or exploring the museum on my own. It was a nice week off, even it we always hit traffic.

Comment by Carol | July 22, 2015 | Reply

10. Cool pictures. I would definitely like to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame someday.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | July 25, 2015 | Reply