Traveling the States with Gage – Michigan

Gage goes to school Monday-Thursday and mornings are a time he usually is willing and wanting to learn a little, so I decided to start doing a little state work each three-day weekend.

Michigan: The Great Lakes StateExploring the States:Michigan, the Great Lakes State. We started by reading through the book and then I chose some  5-10 minute activities over the three days.  My goal is really just two activities  for each of the three days and then two books, this one and one more picture book.

Here’s what we did

mi(he really didn’t want to get his picture taken)

1.  Traced the state map, marked the capital and the cities where his grandma and grandpa live.  Write Michigan.

2. Colored the state map, state bird (robin) and state flower (apple blossom).

3. robin1Our friend Carley paints the bottom of his foot.robin2Perfectrobin3Add some paint and and and eye and you’ve got a robin!  (inspired by this pin)

4. Since we’ve been to Michigan many times to visit Jason’s family we started our very own Michigan photo album and listed the five Michigan cities has visited so far. We’ll have to get him to Lansing, where Jason and I were living when we got married.IMG_2708[1]IMG_2710[1]

5. We spent some time looking at pictures of our trip to the Woolsey Memorial Airport, named after Gage’s great-greeat grandfather, Clinton Woolsey.  I came across this recent blog post about the airport and Clinton. It’s an interesting read and it does not surprise me that my two guys have that risk-taking blood running through their veins.  If you want to read it you can here.  My profile picture is in front of the cabin that Clinton or his father Byron (can’t remember) built in Northport.

5. No books on Clinton Woolsey, but since he did have Charles Lindbergh in one of his flight classes and according to Time magazine he was at Clinton’s funeral, we read this book and were able to really see the airplanes and pilots of the 1920’s.  Gage liked the photographs.

Charles LindberghCharles Lindbergh by Lucille Davis.

Keep sending me ideas for your state – especially book ideas!

Our Ohio activities. Pennsylvania activities.  West Virginia activites.

March 28, 2015 - Posted by | Gage

1. Somebody should do a list (there probably is one) for states that DON’T have the robin as state bird, LOL!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | March 28, 2015 | Reply

2. What a cute way to make a robin! Love it. Such a creative way to study the states and I feel like I’m learning as much as Gage. Keep us in the loop!

And I’m with Gage. I don’t like getting my picture taken either. ;-p

Comment by Kay | March 28, 2015 | Reply

• Next time I’m going to have to sneakl up on him, he’s only been giving me fake smiles lately!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 6, 2015 | Reply

3. So fun! You need to frame that Robin picture! Oh, and Jill, South Carolina’s state bird is the Carolina Wren.

Comment by BermudaOnion | March 28, 2015 | Reply

• And the Texas state bird is the mockingbird. 🙂

Comment by Kay | March 28, 2015 | Reply

• Jill is so silly!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 6, 2015 | Reply

4. I love the robin. That’s a neat idea. Mouse is sitting here with me and asked if the one photo was of Gage blowing her a kiss. 🙂 She’s really into blowing kisses right now.

Comment by Literary Feline | March 28, 2015 | Reply

• Sure, it could be him blowing her a kiss, why not? 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 6, 2015 | Reply

5. Okay, that robin is seriously CUTE!!! What a great way to explore the states and I love the photo album idea!! If you’re ever up by Traverse City let me know as I will be up that way a LOT this spring and summer!

Comment by Staci Collins Taylor | March 29, 2015 | Reply

6. I LOVE the robin painting 🙂

Comment by Mary | March 29, 2015 | Reply

7. Yay for Michigan! Bet your guys are happy that Michigan State made it to the Final Four!

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | April 1, 2015 | Reply

• Yes! Although the Duke game was tough to watch, Jason was pleased with making it to the Final Four.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 6, 2015 | Reply

8. Michigan is my home state. 🙂 So glad he is learning all about it. It’s a great state!

Comment by thetruebookaddict | April 3, 2015 | Reply

• It was fun learning about his family’s history in it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 6, 2015 | Reply

9. I think this is such a good idea. You are such a good mommy.

Comment by kelley | April 7, 2015 | Reply

10. […] Michigan activities. Ohio activities. Pennsylvania activities. West Virginia […]

Pingback by Traveling the States with Gage – Kentucky and Arizona « Stacy's Books | August 15, 2015 | Reply