Traveling the States with Gage – Pennsylvania

Gage goes to school Monday-Thursday and mornings are a time he usually is willing and wanting to learn a little, so I decided to start doing a little state work each three-day weekend.

Pennsylvania: The Keystone StateExploring the States:Pennsylvania, the Keystone State. I decided to use this series I found at the library.  We start by reading through the book and then I chose some things to do 5-10 minute activities over the three days.  My goal is really just two activities  for each of the three days and then two books, this one and one more picture book.

Here’s what we did

penn

1. Trace the state map, marked the capital,painted it, and wrote Pennsylvania. He hates to write and this week’s long state name made his unhappy and stubborn.

2. Colored and painted the very intricate state map.IMG_2532[1]

3. Used glitter glue to color the state flower, mountain laurel.

4. The book featured the Crayola Experience and factory in Easton so we did a Crayola project.

IMG_2540[1]IMG_2547[1]IMG_2553[1]IMG_2554[1]IMG_2556[1]Took the paper off broken crayons (took longer than I thought it would), mixed the colors in different muffin cups, put in the oven at 300 for about 10 minutes, pull them out one by one and drop the flimsy one all over the floor, put in the freezer, pull them out and you got some very cool looking crayon pellets.  Inspired by this pin.

Our Pennsylvania Punxsutawney Phil activities (because he was featured in the book).

5.groundhogWe read a book about Groundhog Day, made a craft and did a few papers matching objects with their shadows.  He was very happy to have his picture taken 😉

6.phil1phil2phil3(learning how to use the side of the chalk from dad)phil4Tape his feet to the paper and attach a pipe cleaner to the back to help him stand and ta-da! It’s Punxsutawney Phil and his shadow.  This pin was the inspiration.

7. Watched a video of Phil (he wasn’t all that impressed)

Keep sending me ideas for your state – especially book ideas!

Our Ohio activities.

March 7, 2015 - Posted by | Gage

1. Stacy – I love your state activities! Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | March 7, 2015 | Reply

2. I agree! Great pics too, especially of Gage not happy to have his picture taken! LOL

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | March 7, 2015 | Reply

3. I think Gage was unhappy because the groundhog saw his shadow. I love your 50 states project!

Comment by BermudaOnion | March 7, 2015 | Reply

4. What clever activities! And the Phil picture is so cute. I just figured that was the face from this year. Wasn’t the forecast 6 more weeks of winter? If not, that has sure been the result. LOL

Comment by Kay | March 7, 2015 | Reply

5. Even while frowning, Gage is so cute! My brother lives in PA and we visited the Crayola factory years ago when the girls were younger… they loved it.

Comment by lakesidemusing | March 7, 2015 | Reply

6. That is so fun!

Comment by Sheila (Book Journey) | March 7, 2015 | Reply

7. Look like so much fun. Wish I was there to join in! ;o)

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | March 7, 2015 | Reply

8. love his face ha.

Comment by The Many Thoughts of a Reader | March 8, 2015 | Reply

9. I enjoy these posts so much, Stacy, seeing what Gage is learning. I hope Mouse will be able to visit Pennsylvania sooner than later. I don’t know that she’ll get a chance to meet my grandmother, but my half-sister and her cousin live there as well.

Comment by Literary Feline | March 9, 2015 | Reply

10. How smart is this little guy. You are exposing him to so many wonderfully stimulating things. Bravo Mom and Dad

Comment by Diane | March 9, 2015 | Reply

11. fun times. I love gage’s pouty little lip in picture 5.

Comment by kelley jensen | March 10, 2015 | Reply

12. […] Our Ohio activities. Pennsylvania activities. […]

Pingback by Traveling the States with Gage – West Virginia « Stacy's Books | March 15, 2015 | Reply

13. […] Ohio activities. Pennsylvania activities.  West Virginia […]

Pingback by Traveling the States with Gage – Michigan « Stacy's Books | March 28, 2015 | Reply

14. […] Michigan activities. Ohio activities. Pennsylvania activities. West Virginia […]

Pingback by Traveling the States with Gage – Kentucky and Arizona « Stacy's Books | August 15, 2015 | Reply