Beloved Books Mini-challenge

Welcome Read-a-Thon peeps!  I hope you’re all having a fun day so far.  This is my only participation this time around because I am knee-deep in birthday party preparations for my son who turns 4 tomorrow.  When I do participate though I always love the mini-challenges and since I’m cleaning up lots of books today I thought I’d see how many of these picture books you could recognize.  I only need the title.  Every answer that you get correct you’ll get your name thrown into the hat, the more you know the more entries you receive to win $15 at the Book Depository.  I’ll periodically hide your comments so you won’t be tempted to cheat 😉  And no google searches.

I’m also going to encourage you to go and choose some picture books (for kids or adults) from your own home and take a picture.  Cover the titles best you can, leave a link so I and anyone else who wants to can visit and guess.  If you do this your name will be thrown into a separate hat for $10 at the Book Depository.  And why not take a few minutes and read a few?

You can play both ways and be entered to win both.  Open internationally.

I’ll be drawing for a winner  during hour 15.  Good luck 🙂

kids

Guess How Much I Love You-McBratney

Llama Llama Red Pajama-Dewdney

The Three Pigs-Wiesner

Harry the Dirty Dog-Zion

Green Eggs and Ham-Dr.Seuss

Amimalia-Base

Where the Wild Things Are-Sendak

Olivia-Falconer

The Very Busy Spider-Carle

Harold and the Purple Crayon- Johnson

89 thoughts on “Beloved Books Mini-challenge

1. Liana says:

I only recognize a few! I see Llama llama Red Pajama, Green Eggs and Ham, Olivia, Where the Wild Things Are, and Harold and the Purple Crayon. 🙂

2. ejmam says:

My youngest is 13, so I’m at a big of a disadvantage here, but:

Where the Wild Things are, by Sendak
    Harold and the Purple Crayon by ??Johnson??
    The Busy Spider (??) by Eric Carle
    Olivia (dunno which one) by Ian Tremaine (??)
    Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss
    I Love You This Much by ???
    Three Little Pigs (??) by Wiesner (the Tuesday author)
    Harry the Dirty Dog by Z… (I remember shelving it at the end — what, doesn’t everyone alphabetize their kids’ books?)

I recognize the art in the last one, but can’t remember the author’s name or which book that is. I didn’t look anything up — this is all out of my head or I promise I’d do better!

3. Maria says:

I’d love to participate but all of my kids books are in boxes on top of my wardrobe. Plus, I only have spanish ones from my childhood.
    Still, have fun!

4. Ellie Potten (@BlondeBookGirl) says:

Guess How Much I Love You, Where the Wild Things Are, Green Eggs and Ham, Llama Llama Red Pyjama, The Very Busy Spider… I think that’s as many as I can name, haha. Not too bad considering I’m 27 and don’t have children, little cousins or any other small individuals around to give me an excuse. I JUST LOVE PICTURE BOOKS OKAY! 😀

You can find me at http://musingsofabookshopgirl.blogspot.co.uk, or my Twitter handle is @BlondeBookGirl, just in case I get lucky. Such a fun challenge idea, thanks!

5. glitterfem says:

What a cute idea! I spy with my little eye…
    I love you this much
    Harold and the purple crayon
    Where the wild things are
    Green eggs and ham
    Olivia
    The very busy spider

Thanks for hosting!

6. kstreeter2 says:

Oh, oh oh, I know some of these! From left to right (-ish?) “Guess How Much I Love You”, “Llama Llama Red Pyjama”, “The Three Pigs”, “Harry the Dirty Dog”, “Green Eggs and Ham”, “Where the Wild Things Are”, “The Very Busy Spider” and “Harold and the Purple Crayon”! I didn’t have those other two..

7. Vicki says:

I’m not doing the read-a-thon this time around, but love the challenge and that you used leaves to hide the titles…very fall-ish!

Happy Birthday to Gage tomorrow, I hope things go smoothly for you!

8. Isa D says:

1. Guess How Much I Love You
    2. Llama Llama Red Pajama
    3. The Three Pigs
    4. Harry the Dirty Dog
    5. Olivia
    6. Green Eggs and Ham
    7. Animalia
    8. Where the Wild Things Are
    9. The Very Busy Spider
    10. Harold and the Purple Crayon

I’ll try doing the title cover up in a bit. 🙂

9. Ana says:

I recognize Green Eggs and Ham, Guess How Much I Love You, Where the Wild Things Are, and The Very Busy Spider. I’ve never seen the other ones before, I don’t think we have them in my county.

10. Elisabeth says:

I know, “Guess How Much I Love You”, “Green Eggs and Ham”, “Where the Wild Things Are”, “Olivia”, “The Very Busy Spider”, and “Harold and the Purple Crayon”. Man, some of these bring back memories.

11. Serena says:

Guess How Much I Love You, Green Eggs and Ham, Where the Wild Things Are, and Harry the Dirty Dog are the only ones I recognize. This is such a fun challenge! 🙂

12. mybookacademy says:

The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle, Where The While Things Are by Maurice Sendak, Harry the Very Dirty Dog by Gene Zion, Guess How Much I Love You (I loved this one as a kid), Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, and I think one of them is Olivia? I don’t remember is I have the title right, but I remember reading that story I recognize the little bit of the cover. That’s all I know, it’s not all of them but I’m proud I knew this many!

13. Jamie says:

Green Eggs and Ham
    Where the Wild Things are
    Harry the Dirty Dog
    The Very Busy Spider
    Llama, llama, red pajama (I favorite of my brothers, a few years ago)
    Olivia
    Guess How Much I Love You
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    The Three Little Pigs (I THINK….)

Not sure about the last one….

14. Jules Q says:

Such a great challenge! And some beloved books in there! I know 5 of them:

Green Eggs and Ham
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    The Very Busy Spider
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Olivia

15. brownleafedvertigo says:

llama llama red pajama
    green eggs and ham
    harold and the purple crayon
    olivia
    harry the dirty dog
    where the wild things are
    the very busy spider
    guess how much i love you
    the three pigs
    animalia (this is the only one i didn’t recognize and i had to google it because it would drive me crazy if i didn’t)

16. Mia & Jessica @ Nisaba Be Praised says:

L to R, top row: Guess How Much I Love You, Llama Llama Red Pajama, The Three Little Pigs, and Harry the Dirty Dog.
    L to R, middle: Olivia, Green Eggs and Ham, Animalia, and Where the Wild Things Are.
    Bottom: The Very Busy Spider and Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Thanks, this was a very nostalgia-inspiring challenge for both of us! I (Mia, typing this) loved all of Graeme Base’s lush illustrations so much as a kid.

17. Dwayna @dwpaplow says:

thanks for this challenge! Great timing as I was about to take a four year old break. Here are my guesses:
    Llama llama red pajama.
    Love you this much.
    Harold and the purple crayon.
    I I don’t know the name of the spider book, but its by Eric Carle.
    Olivia.
    Green eggs and ham.
    Where the wild things are.
    I can’t remember the book with the dogs.
    And I have no idea about the lion book or the pig book!

18. James Brown says:

Green Eggs & Ham (one of my favorites)
    Where the Wild Things Are (also a favorite)
    The Three Pigs (love David Wiesner’s books)
    Llama Llama Red Pajama
    Olivia
    Harry the Dirty Dog
    Harold & the Purple Crayon
    Animalia
    – I know the other 2, but can not remember the titles.

19. Elishia says:

Where the wild things are , Green Eggs and ham, Harry the dirty dog , When i am big, Olivia, Brown Bear Brown Bear What do you see?, llama llama red pajama, Guess How Much I love You, The three pigs and Harold and the purple crayon.

20. Jordan says:

Green eggs and ham, Where the wild things are, The Very Busy Spider, Animalia, Olivia, Three Little Pigs, Llama Llama red pajama, and Love you this much.

21. Shaina says:

Great challenge! I see Where the Wild Things Are, Green Eggs & Ham, Harold and the Purple Crayon, and… That’s it!

Happy RAT!

22. Libby says:

Well, some of them are mysteries to me, but we’ve definitely got: Where the Wild Things Are, Llama Llama Red Pyjama, Green Eggs and Ham, Guess How Much I Love You, Harold and the Purple Crayon, and the Three Little Pigs.

23. Laura says:

Guess How Much I Love You, Llama Llama Red Pajama, The Three Pigs, Harry the Dirty Dog, Olivia, Green Eggs and Ham, Animalia, Where The Wild Things Are, The Very Busy Spider, and Harold and the Purple Crayon.

24. nanscorner says:

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

25. Tami @ Just One More Thing says:

Animalia by Graeme Base
    Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
    Harry the Dirty Dog by ?
    Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
    Harold and the Purple Crayon by ?

Great challenge. Thanks for hosting. If you’re not busy at 3:00 a.m. (central time) stop by my blog and try my book puzzle. 🙂

26. Beth Casagrande says:

Aww, this brings back memories =)

Here are the titles I recognized:

– Green Eggs and Ham
    – The Very Busy Spider
    – Where the Wild Things Are
    – Harry the Dirty Dog
    – Olivia
    – The Three Pigs
    – Harold and the Purple Crayon
    – Guess How Much I Love You

(I admit, I had to resort to my bookshelf for one or two to remember the titles)

27. Kelly says:

Guess How much I love you, Llama Llama Red Pajama, Harold and the Purple Crayon, the Three Pigs, Where the Wild Things are, Harry The Dirty Dog, Olivia, Green Eggs and Ham, something by Eric Carle and A book I don’t know – Only had to scroll up and down 5 times, lol

28. Erin (Erin Reads) says:

So fun! Let’s see… Guess How Much I Love You, Llama Llama Red Pajama, Harry the Dirty Dog, Green Eggs and Ham, Where the Wild Things Are, Olivia, The Very Busy Spider, Harold and the Purple Crayon. The one with the lion on the cover is driving me nuts…I KNOW that one, but I can’t think of what it is!!

29. Stacie S says:

I see:
    Guess how much I love you
    Llama llama red pajama
    The three little pigs?
    Harry the dirty dog
    Green eggs and Ham
    Where the wild things are
    Olivia
    Harold and the purple crayon
    The very busy spider

30. Allison says:

I see Harry the Dirty Dog, Where the Wild Thing’s Are, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Green Eggs and Ham (my fave!), The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and I think that’s an Eloise book there.
    The rabbits look like Velveteen Rabbit, but there’s two rabbits, so not it. (sorry thinking out loud now)

31. buffy says:

Olivia
    Harold and the purple crayon
    the very busy spider
    green eggs and ham
    3 little pigs
    Harry the dirty dog
    animalia
    where the wild things are
    guesshow much i love you

32. Ella says:

Where the Wild Things Are
    Olivia
    Harry the Dirty Dog
    The Three Pigs
    Animalia
    The Very Busy Spider

Love the books being covered!! It helps to know the book titles because my daughter is 5 and we read a lot of books!!

34. sustainyourself says:

Heard about your challenge from the fun folks at GeekyLibrary.com. Since children’s books are my life, I felt I must give this a go!
    Green Eggs and Ham, the Very Busy Spider, Olivia, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Anamalia, Where the Wild thing Are, the Three Pigs, Llama llama where’s your Mama?, I Love you this much.

35. Marie says:

This is a great mini-challenge, thanks! My youngest is now 12, so I don’t know all of them, but I’m feeling good about these:
    Green Eggs and Ham
    Animalia
    Guess How Much I Love You
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    Where the Wild Things Are

Happy upcoming birthday party! Four is a great age. 🙂

36. Elin says:

Green eggs and ham
    Where the wild thing are

This is hard, I feel like picture books are rarely translated so I’ve never read any of these growing up.

37. czechboiix says:

Olivia (bottom left), Where the Wild things are (middle far right), Green eggs in ham (middle 2nd from left), Guess HOw Much I love You (Top right), The Very Busy Spider (Bottom Middle), Llama Llama Red Pajama (2nd on the top). That’s all I know….

38. Alexis says:

Green Eggs and Ham, Where the Wild Things Are, Harold and the Purple Crayon. Of those, I’m pretty sure. And now some guesses: Three Little Pigs, The Very Hungry Spider. And now I’m just making up titles: Hello Mama Llama, Madeline the Snooty Pig, Big Brother Bunny, Opposite Dogs, Noah and the Ark Animals.