Beloved Books Mini-challenge

Welcome Read-a-Thon peeps!  I hope you’re all having a fun day so far.  This is my only participation this time around because I am knee-deep in birthday party preparations for my son who turns 4 tomorrow.  When I do participate though I always love the mini-challenges and since I’m cleaning up lots of books today I thought I’d see how many of these picture books you could recognize.  I only need the title.  Every answer that you get correct you’ll get your name thrown into the hat, the more you know the more entries you receive to win $15 at the Book Depository.  I’ll periodically hide your comments so you won’t be tempted to cheat 😉  And no google searches.

I’m also going to encourage you to go and choose some picture books (for kids or adults) from your own home and take a picture.  Cover the titles best you can, leave a link so I and anyone else who wants to can visit and guess.  If you do this your name will be thrown into a separate hat for $10 at the Book Depository.  And why not take a few minutes and read a few?

You can play both ways and be entered to win both.  Open internationally.

I’ll be drawing for a winner  during hour 15.  Good luck 🙂

kids

Guess How Much I Love You-McBratney

Llama Llama Red Pajama-Dewdney

The Three Pigs-Wiesner

Harry the Dirty Dog-Zion

Green Eggs and Ham-Dr.Seuss

Amimalia-Base

Where the Wild Things Are-Sendak

Olivia-Falconer

The Very Busy Spider-Carle

Harold and the Purple Crayon- Johnson

October 18, 2014 - Posted by | Read-a-Thon |

1. […] Book Covers and Leaves […]

Pingback by Hour 11 – Shake What Mama Gave Ya! | Dewey's Read-a-Thon | October 18, 2014 | Reply

2. Just know two:

Green Eggs & Ham

Where the Wild Things Are

Comment by rubs917 | October 18, 2014 | Reply

3. What a fun challenge! I see Green Eggs and Ham and Where the Wild Things Are. There are a couple other covers I recognize, but I can’t remember the title. I’ll have to do some investigating! 🙂

Comment by Julie @ Smiling Shelves | October 18, 2014 | Reply

4. I only recognize a few! I see Llama llama Red Pajama, Green Eggs and Ham, Olivia, Where the Wild Things Are, and Harold and the Purple Crayon. 🙂

Comment by Liana | October 18, 2014 | Reply

5. My guesses are:
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    Guess How Much I Love You
    Olivia

Happy Birthday to your son!

Comment by forrestofbooks | October 18, 2014 | Reply

6. Green Eggs and Ham
    Where the Wildthings Are
    Harold and the purple Crayon
    The Very Hungry Spider??

Most I actually don’t recognize.

Comment by Debbie | October 18, 2014 | Reply

7. lama lama red pajama, green eggs and ham, olivia, where the wild things are, guess how much i love you, harold and the purple crayon, harry the dirty dog

Comment by Jackson McAlister | October 18, 2014 | Reply

8. Green Eggs and Ham Where The Wilds Ones Are Three Little Pigs

Comment by Karen Gill | October 18, 2014 | Reply

9. Llama llama Red Pajama, Olivia, Green Eggs and Ham, and my favorite, Where the Wild Things Are! 🙂

Comment by Jen Ellinger | October 18, 2014 | Reply

10. My youngest is 13, so I’m at a big of a disadvantage here, but:

Where the Wild Things are, by Sendak
    Harold and the Purple Crayon by ??Johnson??
    The Busy Spider (??) by Eric Carle
    Olivia (dunno which one) by Ian Tremaine (??)
    Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss
    I Love You This Much by ???
    Three Little Pigs (??) by Wiesner (the Tuesday author)
    Harry the Dirty Dog by Z… (I remember shelving it at the end — what, doesn’t everyone alphabetize their kids’ books?)

I recognize the art in the last one, but can’t remember the author’s name or which book that is. I didn’t look anything up — this is all out of my head or I promise I’d do better!

Comment by ejmam | October 18, 2014 | Reply

11. Guess how much I love you
    Llama Llama red pajama
    Where the wild things are

Comment by Tim | October 18, 2014 | Reply

12. Llama Llama Red Pajama, Where the Wild Things Are, Green Eggs and Ham, Olivia, Guess How Much I Love You

Comment by Anna | October 18, 2014 | Reply

13. Guess how much I love you, where the wild things are, the very busy spider, green eggs and ham – these are the only ones I know.

Comment by Saman | October 18, 2014 | Reply

14. Green eggs and ham

Comment by Tim | October 18, 2014 | Reply

15. I’d love to participate but all of my kids books are in boxes on top of my wardrobe. Plus, I only have spanish ones from my childhood.
    Still, have fun!

Comment by Maria | October 18, 2014 | Reply

16. Guess How Much I Love You, Where the Wild Things Are, Green Eggs and Ham, Llama Llama Red Pyjama, The Very Busy Spider… I think that’s as many as I can name, haha. Not too bad considering I’m 27 and don’t have children, little cousins or any other small individuals around to give me an excuse. I JUST LOVE PICTURE BOOKS OKAY! 😀

You can find me at http://musingsofabookshopgirl.blogspot.co.uk, or my Twitter handle is @BlondeBookGirl, just in case I get lucky. Such a fun challenge idea, thanks!

Comment by Ellie Potten (@BlondeBookGirl) | October 18, 2014 | Reply

17. What a cute idea! I spy with my little eye…
    I love you this much
    Harold and the purple crayon
    Where the wild things are
    Green eggs and ham
    The very busy spider

Thanks for hosting!

Comment by glitterfem | October 18, 2014 | Reply

18. Oh, oh oh, I know some of these! From left to right (-ish?) “Guess How Much I Love You”, “Llama Llama Red Pyjama”, “The Three Pigs”, “Harry the Dirty Dog”, “Green Eggs and Ham”, “Where the Wild Things Are”, “The Very Busy Spider” and “Harold and the Purple Crayon”! I didn’t have those other two..

Comment by kstreeter2 | October 18, 2014 | Reply

• Oh, and contact info just in case.. k.streeter2(@)gmail(.)com!

Comment by kstreeter2 | October 18, 2014 | Reply

19. That is a fun challenge – I recognize a couple – Where The Wild Things Are, I am guessing when I say Three Little pigs, uh…. I think that is all I know 😉

Comment by Sheila (Book Journey) | October 18, 2014 | Reply

20. I’m not doing the read-a-thon this time around, but love the challenge and that you used leaves to hide the titles…very fall-ish!

Happy Birthday to Gage tomorrow, I hope things go smoothly for you!

Comment by Vicki | October 18, 2014 | Reply

21. Ooh cool challenge. I only recognise 3.
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Green Eggs and Ham
    Animalia (I had this book as a child. I loved it)

Comment by Sharlene @ Sharlene Says | October 18, 2014 | Reply

22. Where the Wild Things Are
    Three Little Pigs

Comment by Emma | October 18, 2014 | Reply

23. Where the Wild Thing Are, Green Eggs and Ham, George and the Purple Crayon,

Comment by Mia | October 18, 2014 | Reply

24. […] 240 minutes (about 1 page per minute) » Mini Challenges: Cover Books and Leaves is hosted by Stacy’s Books. I only recognise 3 titles. Maybe you can do […]

Pingback by Dewey’s 24 Hour Readathon Progress | SharleneSays | October 18, 2014 | Reply

25. Guess How Much I Love You, Llama Llama Red Pajama, David Wiesner’s Three Pigs, Harry the Dirty Dog, Olivia, Green Eggs and Ham, Animalia, Where the Wild Things Are, The Very Busy Spider, Harold and the Purple Crayon.
    ~Megan

Comment by Megan | October 18, 2014 | Reply

26. I only know 2: Where the wild things are and Green eggs and ham, which I think is great since I am from Croatia and these are American books/editions.

Comment by Iluzija | October 18, 2014 | Reply

27. Guess How Much I Love You, Where The Wild Things Are.
    Great challenge!

Comment by Irene | October 18, 2014 | Reply

28. Animalia
    Llama llama red pyjama
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Three Little Pigs

Comment by Juliana | October 18, 2014 | Reply

29. I recognize Where the Wild Things Are and Green Eggs and Ham!

Comment by Reading Randomness (@ReadingRandom) | October 18, 2014 | Reply

30. 1. Guess How Much I Love You
    2. Llama Llama Red Pajama
    3. The Three Pigs
    4. Harry the Dirty Dog
    5. Olivia
    6. Green Eggs and Ham
    7. Animalia
    8. Where the Wild Things Are
    9. The Very Busy Spider
    10. Harold and the Purple Crayon

I’ll try doing the title cover up in a bit. 🙂

Comment by Isa D | October 18, 2014 | Reply

31. Where the Wild Things Are, Green Eggs and Ham, Harold’s Purple Crayon, Three Little Pigs, Animalia, anddddd Harry and something.

Comment by bahnree | October 18, 2014 | Reply

32. I recognize Green Eggs and Ham, Guess How Much I Love You, Where the Wild Things Are, and The Very Busy Spider. I’ve never seen the other ones before, I don’t think we have them in my county.

Comment by Ana | October 18, 2014 | Reply

33. I know, “Guess How Much I Love You”, “Green Eggs and Ham”, “Where the Wild Things Are”, “Olivia”, “The Very Busy Spider”, and “Harold and the Purple Crayon”. Man, some of these bring back memories.

Comment by Elisabeth | October 18, 2014 | Reply

• Ah, forgot to include my contact info (just in case). My e-mail is aoi (dot) sakura116 (at) gmail (dot) com.

Comment by Elisabeth | October 18, 2014 | Reply

34. Guess How Much I Love You, Green Eggs and Ham, Where the Wild Things Are, and Harry the Dirty Dog are the only ones I recognize. This is such a fun challenge! 🙂

Comment by Serena | October 18, 2014 | Reply

35. “Where the Wild Things Are” and “Green Eggs and Ham”

I have read some of the others, but I do not remember the names.

Comment by Jessica Bradley (@blog_gal) | October 18, 2014 | Reply

36. The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle, Where The While Things Are by Maurice Sendak, Harry the Very Dirty Dog by Gene Zion, Guess How Much I Love You (I loved this one as a kid), Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, and I think one of them is Olivia? I don’t remember is I have the title right, but I remember reading that story I recognize the little bit of the cover. That’s all I know, it’s not all of them but I’m proud I knew this many!

Comment by mybookacademy | October 18, 2014 | Reply

37. Green Eggs and Ham
    Where the Wild Things are
    Harry the Dirty Dog
    The Very Busy Spider
    Llama, llama, red pajama (I favorite of my brothers, a few years ago)
    Guess How Much I Love You
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    The Three Little Pigs (I THINK….)

Not sure about the last one….

Comment by Jamie | October 18, 2014 | Reply

38. Such a great challenge! And some beloved books in there! I know 5 of them:

Harold and the Purple Crayon
    The Very Busy Spider
    Where the Wild Things Are

Comment by Jules Q | October 18, 2014 | Reply

39. llama llama red pajama
    green eggs and ham
    harold and the purple crayon
    olivia
    harry the dirty dog
    where the wild things are
    the very busy spider
    guess how much i love you
    the three pigs
    animalia (this is the only one i didn’t recognize and i had to google it because it would drive me crazy if i didn’t)

Comment by brownleafedvertigo | October 18, 2014 | Reply

40. Where the Wild Things Are
    The Very Busy Spider
    Guess How Much I Love You

I haven’t seen these books in YEARS! Cute challenge.

Comment by Samantha L | October 18, 2014 | Reply

41. L to R, top row: Guess How Much I Love You, Llama Llama Red Pajama, The Three Little Pigs, and Harry the Dirty Dog.
    L to R, middle: Olivia, Green Eggs and Ham, Animalia, and Where the Wild Things Are.
    Bottom: The Very Busy Spider and Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Thanks, this was a very nostalgia-inspiring challenge for both of us! I (Mia, typing this) loved all of Graeme Base’s lush illustrations so much as a kid.

Comment by Mia & Jessica @ Nisaba Be Praised | October 18, 2014 | Reply

42. thanks for this challenge! Great timing as I was about to take a four year old break. Here are my guesses:
    Llama llama red pajama.
    Love you this much.
    Harold and the purple crayon.
    I I don’t know the name of the spider book, but its by Eric Carle.
    Olivia.
    Green eggs and ham.
    Where the wild things are.
    I can’t remember the book with the dogs.
    And I have no idea about the lion book or the pig book!

Comment by Dwayna @dwpaplow | October 18, 2014 | Reply

43. Green Eggs & Ham (one of my favorites)
    Where the Wild Things Are (also a favorite)
    The Three Pigs (love David Wiesner’s books)
    Llama Llama Red Pajama
    Harry the Dirty Dog
    Harold & the Purple Crayon
    Animalia
    – I know the other 2, but can not remember the titles.

Comment by James Brown | October 18, 2014 | Reply

44. Where the wild things are , Green Eggs and ham, Harry the dirty dog , When i am big, Olivia, Brown Bear Brown Bear What do you see?, llama llama red pajama, Guess How Much I love You, The three pigs and Harold and the purple crayon.

Comment by Elishia | October 18, 2014 | Reply

45. Green eggs and ham, Where the wild things are, The Very Busy Spider, Animalia, Olivia, Three Little Pigs, Llama Llama red pajama, and Love you this much.

Comment by Jordan | October 18, 2014 | Reply

46. Great challenge! I see Where the Wild Things Are, Green Eggs & Ham, Harold and the Purple Crayon, and… That’s it!

Happy RAT!

Comment by Shaina | October 18, 2014 | Reply

47. Well, some of them are mysteries to me, but we’ve definitely got: Where the Wild Things Are, Llama Llama Red Pyjama, Green Eggs and Ham, Guess How Much I Love You, Harold and the Purple Crayon, and the Three Little Pigs.

Comment by Libby | October 18, 2014 | Reply

48. Here is my picture link to guess

Guess the book covers

A post shared by Jamie (@jljaina) on

Comment by Jamie | October 18, 2014 | Reply

49. Guess How Much I Love You, Llama Llama Red Pajama, The Three Pigs, Harry the Dirty Dog, Olivia, Green Eggs and Ham, Animalia, Where The Wild Things Are, The Very Busy Spider, and Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Comment by Laura | October 18, 2014 | Reply

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

Comment by nanscorner | October 18, 2014 | Reply

51. Animalia by Graeme Base
    Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
    Harry the Dirty Dog by ?
    Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
    Harold and the Purple Crayon by ?

Great challenge. Thanks for hosting. If you’re not busy at 3:00 a.m. (central time) stop by my blog and try my book puzzle. 🙂

Comment by Tami @ Just One More Thing | October 18, 2014 | Reply

52. Green eggs and ham, Where the Wild Things Are, Olivia.

Comment by Heidi'sbooks | October 18, 2014 | Reply

53. if I did this link right, here’s our picture book picture! https://twitter.com/dwpaplow/status/523605614002733056?s=09

Comment by Dwayna @dwpaplow | October 18, 2014 | Reply

54. I only recognize one 😦 dr seuss green eggs and ham

Comment by Milly | October 18, 2014 | Reply

55. […] Books and Leaves […]

Pingback by Hour 12 – The Mid-Event Survey! | Dewey's Read-a-Thon | October 18, 2014 | Reply

56. Where the Wild Things Are
    Harold and The purple crayon
    Guess how much I love You
    Animalia
    Thanks!

Comment by Zombie Kai (@YogiKai) | October 18, 2014 | Reply

57. Aww, this brings back memories =)

Here are the titles I recognized:

– Green Eggs and Ham
    – The Very Busy Spider
    – Where the Wild Things Are
    – Harry the Dirty Dog
    – Olivia
    – The Three Pigs
    – Harold and the Purple Crayon
    – Guess How Much I Love You

(I admit, I had to resort to my bookshelf for one or two to remember the titles)

Comment by Beth Casagrande | October 18, 2014 | Reply

58. Guess How much I love you, Llama Llama Red Pajama, Harold and the Purple Crayon, the Three Pigs, Where the Wild Things are, Harry The Dirty Dog, Olivia, Green Eggs and Ham, something by Eric Carle and A book I don’t know – Only had to scroll up and down 5 times, lol

Comment by Kelly | October 18, 2014 | Reply

59. Shoot. I did this the first time and totally didn’t see picture books as the requirement but here’s the first guessing title challenge I did:

Here’s the one with the picture books (graphic novels in this case):

Comment by Isa D | October 18, 2014 | Reply

60. So fun! Let’s see… Guess How Much I Love You, Llama Llama Red Pajama, Harry the Dirty Dog, Green Eggs and Ham, Where the Wild Things Are, Olivia, The Very Busy Spider, Harold and the Purple Crayon. The one with the lion on the cover is driving me nuts…I KNOW that one, but I can’t think of what it is!!

Comment by Erin (Erin Reads) | October 18, 2014 | Reply

61. I see:
    Guess how much I love you
    Llama llama red pajama
    The three little pigs?
    Harry the dirty dog
    Green eggs and Ham
    Where the wild things are
    Harold and the purple crayon
    The very busy spider

Comment by Stacie S | October 18, 2014 | Reply

62. I see Harry the Dirty Dog, Where the Wild Thing’s Are, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Green Eggs and Ham (my fave!), The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and I think that’s an Eloise book there.
    The rabbits look like Velveteen Rabbit, but there’s two rabbits, so not it. (sorry thinking out loud now)

Comment by Allison | October 18, 2014 | Reply

63. Olivia
    Harold and the purple crayon
    the very busy spider
    green eggs and ham
    3 little pigs
    Harry the dirty dog
    animalia
    where the wild things are
    guesshow much i love you

Comment by buffy | October 18, 2014 | Reply

64. […] couldn’t resist doing the second half of the Beloved Books mini-challenge! Here are five of my absolute favorite kids’ books, mostly from my childhood. […]

Pingback by Dewey’s Readathon Updates: October 2014 | October 18, 2014 | Reply

65. I did the second half, too. What a great idea! Five of my favorites are pictured under Update #5 here:

Guesses welcome 🙂

Comment by Erin (Erin Reads) | October 18, 2014 | Reply

66. Ooh, fun challenge! I recognize most of these books, but can only remember the titles of Green Eggs and Ham, Where the Wild Things Are, Olivia, Harold and the Purple Crayon, and Three Pigs. Here’s a link to my photo: https://twitter.com/fallingletters/status/523616591859044353 Thanks for hosting!

Comment by Reno @ Falling Letters | October 18, 2014 | Reply

67. Animalia
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    Llama Llama Red Pajama
    The Very Busy Spider
    Harry the Dirty Dog
    Three Little Pigs
    Guess How Much I Love You

I loved this! Working at an elementary school library really helped me out! Here’s a link to my picture… https://twitter.com/bookgoil/status/523620601827565568

Comment by Kristen H. (@bookgoil) | October 18, 2014 | Reply

Llama Llama Red Pajama
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Harry the Dirty Dog
    The Three Pigs
    Animalia
    The Very Busy Spider

Love the books being covered!! It helps to know the book titles because my daughter is 5 and we read a lot of books!!

Comment by Books in the Burbs | October 18, 2014 | Reply

70. […] Books and Leaves […]

Pingback by Hour 13 – Cute Book Memes | Dewey's Read-a-Thon | October 18, 2014 | Reply

71. Heard about your challenge from the fun folks at GeekyLibrary.com. Since children’s books are my life, I felt I must give this a go!
    Green Eggs and Ham, the Very Busy Spider, Olivia, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Anamalia, Where the Wild thing Are, the Three Pigs, Llama llama where’s your Mama?, I Love you this much.

Comment by sustainyourself | October 18, 2014 | Reply

72. This is a great mini-challenge, thanks! My youngest is now 12, so I don’t know all of them, but I’m feeling good about these:
    Animalia
    Guess How Much I Love You
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    Where the Wild Things Are

Happy upcoming birthday party! Four is a great age. 🙂

Comment by Marie | October 18, 2014 | Reply

73. I’m not completely sure if this one counts or not, but it has beautiful and very imaginative drawings in it: http://fishinfog.tumblr.com/post/100363908357/deweys-readathon-a-book-with-pictures

Comment by Ana | October 18, 2014 | Reply

74. Guess how much I love you
    Llama llama red pajama
    Green eggs and ham
    Anamila
    Where the wild things are
    The very busy spider
    Harold and the purple crayon.

Fun challenge. Thanks for hosting.

Comment by Rachael Turns Pages | October 18, 2014 | Reply

75. Cool, cool idea… unfortunately, I only recognize the Dr. Seuss one… Green Eggs & Ham. I have no kids, so no picture books in my house!

Comment by Anastacia Zittel | October 18, 2014 | Reply

76. Green eggs and ham
    Where the wild thing are

This is hard, I feel like picture books are rarely translated so I’ve never read any of these growing up.

Comment by Elin | October 18, 2014 | Reply

77. Green Eggs & Ham
    Guess How Much I Love You
    Llama, Llama, Red Pajama
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    The Very Busy Spider

I recognize the others but don’t have time to track them down.

And some of my board books are posted here: https://twitter.com/TresSherm/status/523633531206258688.

Comment by Wishful Endings (@TresSherm) | October 18, 2014 | Reply

78. Olivia (bottom left), Where the Wild things are (middle far right), Green eggs in ham (middle 2nd from left), Guess HOw Much I love You (Top right), The Very Busy Spider (Bottom Middle), Llama Llama Red Pajama (2nd on the top). That’s all I know….

Comment by czechboiix | October 18, 2014 | Reply

79. here are my answers

link is Guess How Much I Love You
    Llama Llama Red Pajama
    Three Little Pigs
    Harry the Dirty Dog
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    Where the Wild Things Are
    The Very Busy Spider

here is my link with my picture http://jennreneeread.blogspot.com/2014/10/deweys24-hour-read-thon-october-2014_18.html

Comment by jennreneeread | October 18, 2014 | Reply

80. Here’s my link to my picture of beloved books, as well: https://twitter.com/czechboiix/status/523637388351131648

Comment by czechboiix | October 18, 2014 | Reply

81. […] challenge time!  Stacy’s Books is hosting a Beloved Books challenge.  These are some of my two daughter’s fave books when […]

Pingback by Read-a-thon hour 14 – MINI CHALLENGE AND UPDATE | Book Drunkard | October 18, 2014 | Reply

82. Here is my entry! Fun challenge 🙂

Comment by MartinaCK | October 18, 2014 | Reply

83. Green Eggs and Ham, Where the Wild Things Are, Harold and the Purple Crayon. Of those, I’m pretty sure. And now some guesses: Three Little Pigs, The Very Hungry Spider. And now I’m just making up titles: Hello Mama Llama, Madeline the Snooty Pig, Big Brother Bunny, Opposite Dogs, Noah and the Ark Animals.

Comment by Alexis | October 18, 2014 | Reply

84. I Love You This Much, Green Eggs and Ham, and Where the Wild Things Are!

Comment by Ariel @ The Librarian's Bookshelf | October 18, 2014 | Reply

85. […] some picture books (for kids or adults) from your own home and take a picture. [Hosted by Stacy's Books […]

Pingback by Dewey’s 24 Hour Readathon | Under My Apple Tree | October 18, 2014 | Reply

86. I only know two:
    Three Little Pigs

Here’s some children’s picture books from my to-be-reviewed stack:

Comment by Leslie | October 18, 2014 | Reply

87. Looks like you had a great weekend. (LOVE how you covered the titles with colorful leaves)

Comment by diane | October 19, 2014 | Reply