Prospect Street by Emilie Richards

Prospect StreetProspect Street. Finished 9-23-14, rating 4/5, fiction, 498 pages. pub. 2002

In one fell swoop, Faith Bronson loses her marriage, her financial security and her home. Despite the protestations of her father, she moves her family to a run-down town house in Georgetown. As she works on the house and attempts to put her life back together, she begins to discover secrets that have been long buried in the house on Prospect Street. Secrets that will change her family forever…

from Goodreads

I don’t want to give away too much so I won’t tell you why Faith’s marriage broke up, but the beginning of the story that concerned this worried me.  It was not the story I wanted from Richards whose heartfelt novels always leave me satisfied.  But as the story became more about Faith discovering her strength, I became more invested and less worried that it would fall down a rabbit hole I didn’t want to be trapped in.  This book was not in a hurry to get anywhere fast and I loved that. I loved meandering through the lives of Faith, her children, her family, and neighbors.  They each had their own story to tell and a mystery that connected them all.

It felt a little like a throwback, I was surprised that it was published in 2002.  Maybe the topic seemed dated, but I don’t know why because it’s not.  Anyway, I got caught up in the people, the mystery of a kidnapped baby and the rich Georgetown setting. I was reading this on our recent trip to Washington DC and we were planning on spending some time there, but it got late and I was too tired to walk across the bridge.  I love Georgetown and the idea of living in the townhouses there. Love it until, like Faith, I learn that renovations are extensive and expensive in those old homes.

It was a warm story of a woman coming into her own while battling the mysteries of her past.  I was captivated.

This was from my own library.

October 1, 2014 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I haven’t read any books by this author. This sounds interesting, glad you warmed up to the story!

Comment by Vicki | October 1, 2014 | Reply

• I’ve really liked all of the books of hers I’ve read. Good stories, comfort reads.

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 5, 2014 | Reply

2. I have to be in the right mood to read a meandering story but I think topics this one tackles are timeless.

Comment by BermudaOnion | October 2, 2014 | Reply

• I like a good chunkster and it was nice to read a non-thriller or mystery.

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 5, 2014 | Reply

3. I love Georgetown and think it would be fun to read a book with that setting. This one sounds appealing.

Comment by lakesidemusing | October 2, 2014 | Reply

• I love the while DC area. This book used real locales in Georgetown.

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 5, 2014 | Reply

4. I’m glad you enjoyed this Stacy. It sounds like an enjoyable read. I wonder why the marriage broke up!

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | October 2, 2014 | Reply

• You find out early on, but it’s best to go into it blind 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 5, 2014 | Reply

5. This sounds like one I’d like. Thanks for telling us about it!

Comment by Mary | October 2, 2014 | Reply

6. Isn’t it funny how some books published years ago do feel dated. I find especially when it comes to investigations and technology. Have never tried this author but meant to.

Comment by diane | October 2, 2014 | Reply

7. I’m glad it turned out better than you were expecting! I love those!

Comment by Heather | October 3, 2014 | Reply

8. I like the sound of this one and am glad you liked it, Stacy.

Comment by Literary Feline | October 6, 2014 | Reply

9. Glad you ended up enjoying this one. I love Emile Richards writing, her Goddesses Anonymous series is a fave. I haven’t read this one but I will 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | October 6, 2014 | Reply