Sundays with Gage – Goodbye School, Hello Summer

My baby is growing up.  It’s funny because I wanted to put a sad face after that sentence and that surprises me.  I spend a lot of time struggling with bad behvior and teaching him things he may or may not want to learn while trying to fit fun activities in between all of the school and various groups or therapies he has scheduled.  Sometimes I forget to take a deep breath and soak it all in.  I love this age.   Gage is 3 1/2 and just finished his first year at the integrated preschool  at our public school.  He had great teachers, made some friends, learned new skills and he loved it.  It was sad for me to know that he would miss his teachers this summer.

He’s grown up so much this year and I am so proud of him.  Lots of kids his age have spent the last year playing and spending time with mom, dad or grandma, and Gage has had to carve out more time for learning. Some of that is just my fear of him falling behind, but a lot of it is because everything I read about kids on the spectrum tells me that it’s what he needs to be doing to thrive.  But there are days when I know he doesn’t spend enough time just hanging out with mom so I am looking forward to more time with my kid this summer.  Sort of.  Soon he starts a six week camp at his old school, but I’m pretty sure that it’s three hours of mostly pool, playground, and fun time.  Oh, the life of a busy three year old!

Here are a few pics from his last day of school.  teachers on last daybenjamindancing

25 thoughts on “Sundays with Gage – Goodbye School, Hello Summer

1. gautami tripathy says:

Kids grow up fast! My nephews and nieces are all over 17 now. One niece is married. Oh, I love the older versions just as much. But I miss the younger versions. They were easy to carry, cuddly and sweet with baby smell!!

Gage looks so adorable! I am sure you both are gonna enjoy summer!

2. sandynawrot says:

They grow up in the blink of an eye, so it is good to soak up all that time with him now. You will always worry about them…I think every kid has his own set of issues…but the fact that you are in tune with what he needs is the best guarantee for his success. He’s going to do great!

• stacybuckeye says:

Every kid does have his own set of issues, we’re still trying to figure out Gage’s! We are now trying to tackle his stomach issues and it has been and will continue to be a bumpy ride!

3. My Home of Books says:

My son is on the spectrum, diagnosed at age 7 with Aspergers Syndrome. We have never let that define who he is, what he wants to do, or how he lives his life. He was homeschooled some years when public school got to be a bit much, but he did spend more years than not in school. When he was diagnosed, we knew nothing at all, but through online forums, support groups, and finding excellent doctors along the way we have become our son’s strongest advocate while also nurturing 2 daughters alongside him.

He is now 25 and about to enter law school, having been accepted at all 5 schools he applied to in CA. Just my .02 and thanks for letting me share. He is a cutie, by the way! Have a fun summer with him.

• stacybuckeye says:

Thank you! It is so great to hear success stories. I tend to focus on the details and my husband is the one that says every day, ‘he’s fine, he’ll be great’. There is so much unkown that sometime I get caught up in it. Thank you for offering your two cents 🙂 They are much appreciated.

• stacybuckeye says:

Yes, this is actually the first time I’ve felt a little sad. This is has been the year of greatest growth for him, through lots of blood, sweat and tears. There were more good days than bad and that is something I can appreciate!

4. Gage's Grandma says:

He is so cute. He has really grown a lot this past year in all areas and he is so much fun! We love spending time with him and watching him experience new things. Summertime adventures await . . . . enjoy!

5. Literary Feline says:

I am really loving this age too, Stacy. It’s amazing how much they grow and learn in such a short amount of time. Sometimes it’s easy for us to forget they are only 3, isn’t it?