Sundays with Gage – Goodbye School, Hello Summer

My baby is growing up.  It’s funny because I wanted to put a sad face after that sentence and that surprises me.  I spend a lot of time struggling with bad behvior and teaching him things he may or may not want to learn while trying to fit fun activities in between all of the school and various groups or therapies he has scheduled.  Sometimes I forget to take a deep breath and soak it all in.  I love this age.   Gage is 3 1/2 and just finished his first year at the integrated preschool  at our public school.  He had great teachers, made some friends, learned new skills and he loved it.  It was sad for me to know that he would miss his teachers this summer.

He’s grown up so much this year and I am so proud of him.  Lots of kids his age have spent the last year playing and spending time with mom, dad or grandma, and Gage has had to carve out more time for learning. Some of that is just my fear of him falling behind, but a lot of it is because everything I read about kids on the spectrum tells me that it’s what he needs to be doing to thrive.  But there are days when I know he doesn’t spend enough time just hanging out with mom so I am looking forward to more time with my kid this summer.  Sort of.  Soon he starts a six week camp at his old school, but I’m pretty sure that it’s three hours of mostly pool, playground, and fun time.  Oh, the life of a busy three year old!

Here are a few pics from his last day of school.  teachers on last daybenjamindancing

June 14, 2014 - Posted by | Gage

1. Amazing how fast they grow!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | June 14, 2014 | Reply

2. He’s getting so big! I’m glad he’s having fun and learning and I’m sure you both will enjoy your summer together! Yay!

Comment by Heather | June 14, 2014 | Reply

3. Kids grow up fast! My nephews and nieces are all over 17 now. One niece is married. Oh, I love the older versions just as much. But I miss the younger versions. They were easy to carry, cuddly and sweet with baby smell!!

Gage looks so adorable! I am sure you both are gonna enjoy summer!

Comment by gautami tripathy | June 15, 2014 | Reply

• The little ones are the cuddliest aren’t they?

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 18, 2014 | Reply

4. Yay, Gage! Great job. 🙂

Comment by thetruebookaddict | June 15, 2014 | Reply

5. I bet your summer will be fun for both of you — he’s getting so grown up.

Comment by diane | June 15, 2014 | Reply

6. They grow up in the blink of an eye, so it is good to soak up all that time with him now. You will always worry about them…I think every kid has his own set of issues…but the fact that you are in tune with what he needs is the best guarantee for his success. He’s going to do great!

Comment by sandynawrot | June 15, 2014 | Reply

• Every kid does have his own set of issues, we’re still trying to figure out Gage’s! We are now trying to tackle his stomach issues and it has been and will continue to be a bumpy ride!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 18, 2014 | Reply

7. They grow up so fast! Sometimes the change of routine from “school” to “summer” is tough, but it sounds like you have that all under control 🙂

Comment by lakesidemusing | June 15, 2014 | Reply

• haha. I have nothing under control around here!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 21, 2014 | Reply

8. My son is on the spectrum, diagnosed at age 7 with Aspergers Syndrome. We have never let that define who he is, what he wants to do, or how he lives his life. He was homeschooled some years when public school got to be a bit much, but he did spend more years than not in school. When he was diagnosed, we knew nothing at all, but through online forums, support groups, and finding excellent doctors along the way we have become our son’s strongest advocate while also nurturing 2 daughters alongside him.

He is now 25 and about to enter law school, having been accepted at all 5 schools he applied to in CA. Just my .02 and thanks for letting me share. He is a cutie, by the way! Have a fun summer with him.

Comment by My Home of Books | June 15, 2014 | Reply

• Thank you! It is so great to hear success stories. I tend to focus on the details and my husband is the one that says every day, ‘he’s fine, he’ll be great’. There is so much unkown that sometime I get caught up in it. Thank you for offering your two cents 🙂 They are much appreciated.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 21, 2014 | Reply

9. He is too darn cute!! I always enjoyed the slower pace of summer.

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 15, 2014 | Reply

10. Have a great summer Stacy!

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | June 16, 2014 | Reply

11. He always looks like such a fun kid to be around.

Comment by snoozing on the sofa | June 16, 2014 | Reply

12. I think it’s always bittersweet to see them growing up.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | June 16, 2014 | Reply

• Yes, this is actually the first time I’ve felt a little sad. This is has been the year of greatest growth for him, through lots of blood, sweat and tears. There were more good days than bad and that is something I can appreciate!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 21, 2014 | Reply

13. He is so cute. He has really grown a lot this past year in all areas and he is so much fun! We love spending time with him and watching him experience new things. Summertime adventures await . . . . enjoy!

Comment by Gage's Grandma | June 16, 2014 | Reply

14. He’s so cute! Have a fun summer.

Comment by Carol | June 16, 2014 | Reply

15. I am really loving this age too, Stacy. It’s amazing how much they grow and learn in such a short amount of time. Sometimes it’s easy for us to forget they are only 3, isn’t it?

Comment by Literary Feline | June 16, 2014 | Reply

• I know! I know sometimes I treat him like he’s 6 and have to remind myself he’s still a kiddo.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 21, 2014 | Reply

16. enjoy those moments, mom time is very important.

Comment by kelley | June 26, 2014 | Reply

17. Can I have 3 hours of pool, playground and fun time? 😉 He’s so cute!!

Comment by Tara | June 28, 2014 | Reply