Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for AlaskaLooking for Alaska. Finished audio 12-23-13, rating 4.25, YA, pub. 2005

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter’s whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the “Great Perhaps” (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.

I’d heard all of the hype surrounding John Green almost since I started blogging almost 6 years ago, but this was my first experience with him.  For the first half of the book I was entertained but a little confused about all the fuss, but then when the big event happened it made the book deeper and more poignant.  Lots of great discussion for teens and parents.  This is a great book for a young adult (15 or 16 and older?) and I have found a new YA author to check out and gift 🙂

I checked the cds out of the library and was actually listening to it when I got into my car accident.  After some consideration I have decided not to hold this against the book or author.  Highly recommended.

December 27, 2013 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I’ve read one John Green book – The Fault in Our Stars – and I adored it. I really want to read more of Green’s books. This sounds like another winner.

Comment by BermudaOnion | December 27, 2013 | Reply

2. John Green has real talent. I’ve read several of his books and enjoyed them all.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | December 27, 2013 | Reply

3. I am sorry to hear about your car accident! I hope that you are okay. I enjoyed this book, but it is not one of my favorites of John Green.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | December 27, 2013 | Reply

4. OMG, I’m sorry you got into an accident! I hope nobody was hurt, but even if not, I know that the whole scene is obnoxious. Estimates, insurance, rentals…awful. I’m glad to hear that John Green isn’t to blame. LOL. I keep saying I’m going to have a Green-fest at some point because I’ve got most of his books, but have only read TFIOS.

Comment by sandynawrot | December 28, 2013 | Reply

5. This was my first book I read by John Green. Absolute fave was The Fault in Our Stars but I also enjoyed Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Comment by The Many Thoughts of a Reader | December 29, 2013 | Reply

6. I’ve enjoyed all of his books so far! This is my favorite, though 🙂 Glad you enjoyed it too.

Comment by Heather | December 31, 2013 | Reply

7. I thought this was good, but I’m not a big fan of John Green, in general. I’m in the minority, I know.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | January 1, 2014 | Reply

• I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. I have so little knowledge of YA authors it’s nice to find a few go tos to recommend.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 2, 2014 | Reply

8. I read my first John Green this year and hope to add another this year–my problem is that his books have never been available at a reduced price and I hate paying full price for a book.

Comment by kelley | January 7, 2014 | Reply

9. […] is my second John Green novel (I read Looking for Alaska last December)  and I’ve listened to them both on audio.  I liked the narration of this one a lot, where […]

Pingback by Paper Towns by John Green « Stacy's Books | May 23, 2014 | Reply