Fave Film #46- Chocolat

Chocolat sheet.jpg(2000)

Cast-Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench, Alfred Molina, Lena Olin, Johnny Depp

Vianne and her daughter, Anouk, are travelers.  In 1959 they blow into a small, devout village in France and open up a chocolate shop at the beginning of Lent.  This angers the mayor and moral leader of the village and the two struggle against each other for their place in the community.

Why I Love It– There are so many things I love about this movie, but the thing that stands out the most is the mysterious and mystical storytelling.  It is magical realism with a message.  A story of the good (the godly followers) and the bad (everyone else) it was told in such a lavish way that it wasn’t the same, stale story we’ve seen before. There is whimsy but it also gives you something to think about.

I thought the casting was perfect.  Juliette Binoche was perfect as Vianne.  She was kind but almost eager to stir the pot.  The glint in her eye let you know that things were not as calm as they seemed.  And Judi Dench was flawless as usual.  I’ve seen Alfred Molina in many movies, but this is the role I usually associate him with in my mind.  And, Johnny, oh sweet, sweet Johnny.  He is a sexy man ‘cleaned up’ as a river rat.  His subdued performance was a change from some of his more flamboyant roles and he worked well with Juliette.

And the chocolate…oh the beautiful chocolate!  It made me want to go out and buy some handmade works of art.  Vianne liked to guess people’s favorite chocolate and I like to think that she would have chosen her hot chocolate for me.

There is  beauty on the screen and in the movie’s message.  I can’t say that the message of tolerance didn’t have its problems but I found them easy to overlook. I was too busy looking at Johnny and the chocolate to care 😉

France 287France 288Even though the movie was set in a fictional French town I can see Vianne setting up shop here, in the Montmartre area of Paris.

(courtesy of Bookbath)

July 12, 2013 - Posted by | France, movies, Photos |

1. I loved this movie too. I watched it knowing nothing about it other than a few people told me they liked it, so it was a pleasant surprise. And no, I haven’t read the book yet but I intend to. Eh, I’ll probably watch the movie again before I manage to get around to it. Sigh.

Comment by Leslie | July 12, 2013 | Reply

• LOL! I had high hopes of watching the movie (Check!) and then finally reading the book this month. It could still happen. But chances are good it won’t 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 13, 2013 | Reply

2. How did I miss a movie with Johnny Depp?

Comment by BermudaOnion | July 12, 2013 | Reply

• If you like Johnny you must see this one, Kathy.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 13, 2013 | Reply

3. Loved the film and the book.

Comment by booketta | July 12, 2013 | Reply

4. Oh I adore this movie for so many reseasons mostly because I was working at a cinema when it came out and I used to sneak in during quite times and breaks to watch the movies. In all honesty I dont think I have sat down and watched this movie from start to finish.

But I love the whimsical nature of the film and well Johnny Depp hellloooooo 🙂

Comment by caspette | July 12, 2013 | Reply

• Oh, I know. Johnny was so…well, helloooooooo is definitely a nice way to put it 🙂 It’s a gorgeous movie. You need to watch it start to finish!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 13, 2013 | Reply

5. Loved the film.

Plan to read the book this month.

Comment by Jody | July 13, 2013 | Reply

6. This is also one of my favorite movies! Love your review!

Comment by Heather | July 14, 2013 | Reply

7. I loved this movie too! I am hoping to get to the book for July in Paris!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | July 14, 2013 | Reply

8. this movie was memorable and special.

Comment by Anne | July 15, 2013 | Reply

9. I really loved this movie, too. So pretty!

Comment by Word Lily | July 15, 2013 | Reply

10. I need to watch this because Johnny + chocolate 😀

Comment by Tanja | July 28, 2013 | Reply

11. […] last year).  I wrote about 3 of my favorite 100 movies (#7 There’s Something About Mary, #46 Chocolat, #62 Yankee Doodle Dandy) and did one Book vs. Movie post (Ender’s Game – still time to […]

Pingback by 2013 Favorites and Stats « Stacy's Books | December 31, 2013 | Reply

12. Mmmmm, one of my favorite movies. And a somewhat rare instance of me loving the movie and disliking the book! The book is all about Christian vs. pagan, while the movie is all about outward appearances vs. who someone is inside. And Roux is barely in the book, and not nearly as wonderful and sweet as in the movie. Hands-down my fave Johnny Depp role.

Comment by hamlettethedame | January 9, 2015 | Reply