Weekends with Gage-He’s Back!

After a few months off Gage has decided that he would like to participate in mommy’s bookish blog again.  So on Saturdays or Sundays we’re going to focus on a favorite book, show a book activity we tried, or review a book that someone sent to us.  Hope you enjoy seeing the little guy on here again.  Can you believe he’s over two and a half already?!

blueberriesBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey was published in 1948 and is illustrated with line drawings.  Age range is 2 1/2-5 years old. 55 pages.

Sal goes to Bluberry Hill to pick blueberries with her mother.  Little Bear comes to the same hill with her mother to fatten up for winter. The two little ones take breaks to eat berries and they lose their moms. When they go looking they get all mixed up, but luckily, the moms save the day and all ends well.

Gage loves bright colors and shorter, more action-type books, so imagine my surprise when he sat through this whole book, completely engaged.  This morning we ate blueberries and blueberry bread outside while we read it.

IMG_1951IMG_1957It really isn’t until Little Bear and Big Bear, as Gage likes to call the mom, enter the story that Gage gets excited.  If we go too many pages without seeing the bears he is ready to start flipping to find them!  I picked this up at the library for one of my quizzes a while back not thinking he would look past the first few pages, but we’ve read it through at least a dozen times and this is what he thinks…

IMG_1963This oldie but goodie earns a big smile from Gage. (I’ll have to remember to brush his hair for next week :))

So when’s the last time you ate blueberries?

June 23, 2013 - Posted by | Gage, Kids Books |

1. I eat blueberries every day in my Greek yogurt – my favorite way to eat them.
    Gage is adorable!
    BTW I’m old enough to remember Captain Kangaroo read Blueberries For Sal 🙂

Comment by Mary | June 23, 2013 | Reply

• I remember liking Captain Kangaroo 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 23, 2013 | Reply

2. Gage is getting so big! =)

I havent had blueberries in a long time, but they sound delicious!

Comment by Melissa | June 23, 2013 | Reply

• I’m not much of a straight blueberry lover, but Gage eats them by the bowl full!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 23, 2013 | Reply

3. Gage is such a cutie … those pics are wonderful, Stacy!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | June 23, 2013 | Reply

4. I ate blueberries this morning. Glad Gage loved the book, it is one I have saved for grandkids.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | June 23, 2013 | Reply

• Glad to hear you had a healthy breakfast like Gage 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2013 | Reply

5. I love this book. You’ve inspired me to make blueberry pancakes this morning.

Comment by Alison Doherty | June 23, 2013 | Reply

6. Yea, Gage is back! He really does love his blueberries. I know firsthand that his Mama makes yummy b/b bread. The pics are adorable!

Comment by Gage's grandma | June 23, 2013 | Reply

• Some of my bread attempts are better than others!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2013 | Reply

7. I’m glad to see the ever adorable Gage back! I love his big smile. I had blueberries yesterday!

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 23, 2013 | Reply

• He does have a nice smile, doesn’t he? 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2013 | Reply

8. What a great idea to pair the reading of that book with blueberries and blueberry bread! And he is so cute, he doesn’t need his hair brushed! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | June 23, 2013 | Reply

• Well, even when I brush his hair there is only so much I can do. He definitely still has baby hair.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2013 | Reply

9. What a fun time for both of you Stacy.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | June 23, 2013 | Reply

10. Sooo cute! He is getting so big! I am glad to see the little guy back:)

Comment by pinkim95 | June 23, 2013 | Reply

11. I am sure glad he is back. And wonderful he has inherited your reading genes!

I ate a big bowl of blueberries last evening in front of the idiot box. I sprinkled a bit of table salt on it! Yummy!!!

Comment by Gautami Tripathy | June 23, 2013 | Reply

• I have never put salt on blueberries, but then I rarely salt anything. Maybe I’ll give it try next time. I’ll let you know.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2013 | Reply

12. Aww Gage is just the cutest, love seeing his obvious enjoyment of this one and I love blueberries too 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | June 23, 2013 | Reply

• Blueberries are especially good in summer so we eat lots of them.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2013 | Reply

13. Welcome back, Gage! He’s looking sweet as ever.

I had blueberry waffles for breakfast on Sunday. 🙂

Comment by thetruebookaddict | June 24, 2013 | Reply

• Blueberries were popular among you all.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 24, 2013 | Reply

14. Eating a special bread and reading a special book looks like so much fun.

Comment by JDaniel4's Mom | June 24, 2013 | Reply

15. Awesome! What a fun thing to do in the morning with Gage! Blueberries, blueberry bread/muffins and a blueberry-themed book! Excellent!!! On my to-do list now with Gabe 🙂

Comment by hmsgofita | June 24, 2013 | Reply

16. Even more exciting when you have delicious snacks that match the book.
    So glad to see Gage again and hope mommy is doing just as well also 🙂

Comment by jennygirl | June 24, 2013 | Reply

17. I loved this one as a child and my son SAL loved it…probably because his name was in the title. So glad to hear and see that Gage is enjoying it too.

Comment by boardinginmyforties | June 25, 2013 | Reply

18. I read this with Ben years ago, when he was probably 2 1/2 or 3 and we were doing “Before 5-in-a-Row” (http://fiveinarow.com/before-five-in-a-row/) activities at home. Such a sweet story. I can’t remember what activities we did with it but I’m sure eating some blueberries was involved.

Comment by Ali (Worducopia) | June 25, 2013 | Reply

19. I love him wild hair and all….don’t change a thing! My boys loved this book too. He’s changing so much 🙂

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | June 25, 2013 | Reply

20. I’m glad to see Gage again and Blueberries for Sal brings back memories of my own childhood! We had blueberries yesterday… and have more for today 🙂

Comment by lakesidemusing | June 26, 2013 | Reply

21. I’m happy to see Gage is back. I don’t think I ever read Blueberries for Sal, but we do almost always have blueberries in the fridge. We even planted two blueberry bushes this year, although we’ll have to wait a year or two before we let them get berries.

Comment by Carol | June 26, 2013 | Reply

22. Oh my gosh that used to be one of my fave books! So happy to see Gage enjoying it!

Comment by Amused By Books (@amusedbybooks) | June 26, 2013 | Reply

23. An enchanting story. No wonder he loved it!~

Comment by harvee | June 27, 2013 | Reply

24. omg i love blueberry pancakes. i must make them soon! 🙂 thanks for the inspiration!

Comment by Marie (@bostonbibliophl) | June 28, 2013 | Reply

25. You and Gage do the most fun things together!

I’ve been thinking of starting up Mouse’s Corner on my blog which is something similar to your Weekends with Gage. Still working on the motivation factor.

Comment by Literary Feline | July 2, 2013 | Reply

26. I’ve wondered and wondered about this book but in the end I’ve never picked it up because Elle hasn’t quite gotten to the storybook age yet and the colors are so muted. Great for me but I haven’t imaged that it would capture her attention. I’m glad to hear that you said Gage was interested. Maybe I’ll see if the library has a copy and go from there.

And ahem, yes to the blueberries. My mom and I buy a big box of frozen blueberries from Oregon every year and they last the whole year. Elle loves to eat them frozen and they’re a great snack. Though the fresh blueberries this year have been pretty impressive too!

Comment by Trish | July 3, 2013 | Reply