Weekends with Gage-He’s Back!

After a few months off Gage has decided that he would like to participate in mommy’s bookish blog again.  So on Saturdays or Sundays we’re going to focus on a favorite book, show a book activity we tried, or review a book that someone sent to us.  Hope you enjoy seeing the little guy on here again.  Can you believe he’s over two and a half already?!

blueberriesBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey was published in 1948 and is illustrated with line drawings.  Age range is 2 1/2-5 years old. 55 pages.

Sal goes to Bluberry Hill to pick blueberries with her mother.  Little Bear comes to the same hill with her mother to fatten up for winter. The two little ones take breaks to eat berries and they lose their moms. When they go looking they get all mixed up, but luckily, the moms save the day and all ends well.

Gage loves bright colors and shorter, more action-type books, so imagine my surprise when he sat through this whole book, completely engaged.  This morning we ate blueberries and blueberry bread outside while we read it.

IMG_1951IMG_1957It really isn’t until Little Bear and Big Bear, as Gage likes to call the mom, enter the story that Gage gets excited.  If we go too many pages without seeing the bears he is ready to start flipping to find them!  I picked this up at the library for one of my quizzes a while back not thinking he would look past the first few pages, but we’ve read it through at least a dozen times and this is what he thinks…

IMG_1963This oldie but goodie earns a big smile from Gage. (I’ll have to remember to brush his hair for next week :))

So when’s the last time you ate blueberries?

41 thoughts on “Weekends with Gage-He’s Back!

1. Mary says:

I eat blueberries every day in my Greek yogurt – my favorite way to eat them.
    Gage is adorable!
    BTW I’m old enough to remember Captain Kangaroo read Blueberries For Sal 🙂

2. Gage's grandma says:

Yea, Gage is back! He really does love his blueberries. I know firsthand that his Mama makes yummy b/b bread. The pics are adorable!

3. Gautami Tripathy says:

I am sure glad he is back. And wonderful he has inherited your reading genes!

I ate a big bowl of blueberries last evening in front of the idiot box. I sprinkled a bit of table salt on it! Yummy!!!

4. hmsgofita says:

Awesome! What a fun thing to do in the morning with Gage! Blueberries, blueberry bread/muffins and a blueberry-themed book! Excellent!!! On my to-do list now with Gabe 🙂

5. boardinginmyforties says:

I loved this one as a child and my son SAL loved it…probably because his name was in the title. So glad to hear and see that Gage is enjoying it too.

6. Carol says:

I’m happy to see Gage is back. I don’t think I ever read Blueberries for Sal, but we do almost always have blueberries in the fridge. We even planted two blueberry bushes this year, although we’ll have to wait a year or two before we let them get berries.

7. Literary Feline says:

You and Gage do the most fun things together!

I’ve been thinking of starting up Mouse’s Corner on my blog which is something similar to your Weekends with Gage. Still working on the motivation factor.

8. Trish says:

I’ve wondered and wondered about this book but in the end I’ve never picked it up because Elle hasn’t quite gotten to the storybook age yet and the colors are so muted. Great for me but I haven’t imaged that it would capture her attention. I’m glad to hear that you said Gage was interested. Maybe I’ll see if the library has a copy and go from there.

And ahem, yes to the blueberries. My mom and I buy a big box of frozen blueberries from Oregon every year and they last the whole year. Elle loves to eat them frozen and they’re a great snack. Though the fresh blueberries this year have been pretty impressive too!