Stay Close by Harlan Coben

Stay CloseStay Close. Finished 3-9-13, rating 4/5, fiction, 387 pages, pub. 2012

Megan, aka Cassie, has a past.  One that involved showing off her lady parts for all the world to see at a club on Atlantic City’s boardwalk.  But she manages to put that all behind her and get married, move to the burbs, pop out a few kids and enjoy life as a soccer mom.  Only after 17 years she feels the draw of her old haunt and this action sets off a chain of events that put her and many others in danger.  Detective Broome is working a disappearance, one that seems to connect many disappearances from the past.  When Megan shows up it’s the break he had hoped for and needed, but it will not be enough to stop a murder or two.

I love Harlan Coben.  He is one author I always buy in hardcover.  When I realized that his new book was coming out and that I still had last year’s hardcover on my shelf it was an easy reading decision.  Coben is the master of wit, humor and staying current.  His is a voice that I recognize as soon as I open the book.  Unfortunately, for me, his voice was the one thing missing from this book.  I enjoyed the plot and liked the many, connecting storylines and characters, but I felt like any good thriller writer could have written it.  It is a readable thriller, but it is not even close to being his best.  I’ve heard great things about his newest one so, as I always do, I’ll buy it in hardcover and hope for the best 🙂

33 thoughts on “Stay Close by Harlan Coben

1. Literary Feline says:

I have only read one of his books, and that was years ago. I don’t know why I haven’t read more by him as I really liked that book. I had the opportunity to meet Coben at a book festival a few years ago. He’s such a funny and nice man. I’m sorry this one wasn’t better, but it sounds like a worthwhile read just the same.

2. Sandy says:

I remember picking up “Tell No One” and being blown away. It was substantial stuff, great twists, loved every minute of it. But since then I’ve read a couple of others and they were forgettable. I mean, decent mystery and action, but a lot like so many out there. He certainly does seem to be cranking them out faster than makes me comfortable, like a James Patterson or something. Maybe he needs to slow down.

• stacybuckeye says:

I agree with you, Sandy!! I was blown away by Tell No One too and still consider it a favorite book that I recommend often. I do think many of his latest thrillers (the Myron books are the exception) aren’t up to his best.

3. Lloyd Russell says:

I have read all of Coben’s books (except for the couple of YA’s that he wrote about Myron Bolitar’s nephew, Mickey). I would probably agree with you about Stay Close – good, not great. His latest, on the other hand, Six Years, which is coming out soon, came to me as an ARC (as you know, it’s a real bonus if you get an ARC for a book you would have purchased anyway). Six Years is being hailed as one of his best. I don’t know if that’s true, but it is a very good read (I have recently blogged about it – http://booksage.blogspot.com/). And, as I think I’ve mentioned before, if you ever get to see him live, do it. He is hysterical and extremely entertaining.

• stacybuckeye says:

I love that you’ve read them all too! I did read the frist of the YA series and it was good. If you like Myron you’ll love reading about Mickey, even though it’s YA.
      I met Coben many years ago at a signing in Houston and was so charmed by him. He definitely helps sell his books!

4. Wrighty says:

I love Harlan Coben too but am also behind on his last few books. He writes so well and his stories really suck me in. I’d better pick up the pace!

5. boardinginmyforties says:

I love Coben too but it feels like his writing is going down a bit since his first works which were so suspenseful. I don’t know if he is having to crank out too many books too quickly or he’s lost his writing mojo, or what!

6. Jenners says:

Oh I like him too and I don’t think I read this one. I get the titles confused sometimes. I’ll have to look for this one … maybe on audio would be good.