Stay Close by Harlan Coben

Stay CloseStay Close. Finished 3-9-13, rating 4/5, fiction, 387 pages, pub. 2012

Megan, aka Cassie, has a past.  One that involved showing off her lady parts for all the world to see at a club on Atlantic City’s boardwalk.  But she manages to put that all behind her and get married, move to the burbs, pop out a few kids and enjoy life as a soccer mom.  Only after 17 years she feels the draw of her old haunt and this action sets off a chain of events that put her and many others in danger.  Detective Broome is working a disappearance, one that seems to connect many disappearances from the past.  When Megan shows up it’s the break he had hoped for and needed, but it will not be enough to stop a murder or two.

I love Harlan Coben.  He is one author I always buy in hardcover.  When I realized that his new book was coming out and that I still had last year’s hardcover on my shelf it was an easy reading decision.  Coben is the master of wit, humor and staying current.  His is a voice that I recognize as soon as I open the book.  Unfortunately, for me, his voice was the one thing missing from this book.  I enjoyed the plot and liked the many, connecting storylines and characters, but I felt like any good thriller writer could have written it.  It is a readable thriller, but it is not even close to being his best.  I’ve heard great things about his newest one so, as I always do, I’ll buy it in hardcover and hope for the best 🙂

March 14, 2013 - Posted by | 4 Star Books

1. I have only read one of his books, and that was years ago. I don’t know why I haven’t read more by him as I really liked that book. I had the opportunity to meet Coben at a book festival a few years ago. He’s such a funny and nice man. I’m sorry this one wasn’t better, but it sounds like a worthwhile read just the same.

Comment by Literary Feline | March 14, 2013 | Reply

• He is so funny in person, isn’t he? I think his Myron series is good andthey are all solid.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

2. I remember picking up “Tell No One” and being blown away. It was substantial stuff, great twists, loved every minute of it. But since then I’ve read a couple of others and they were forgettable. I mean, decent mystery and action, but a lot like so many out there. He certainly does seem to be cranking them out faster than makes me comfortable, like a James Patterson or something. Maybe he needs to slow down.

Comment by Sandy | March 14, 2013 | Reply

• I agree with you, Sandy!! I was blown away by Tell No One too and still consider it a favorite book that I recommend often. I do think many of his latest thrillers (the Myron books are the exception) aren’t up to his best.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

3. I’ve read one of his YA books and one adult book and thought they were both terrific. I agree with you on his wit!

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | March 14, 2013 | Reply

• I need to read the second YA book. Thanks for reminding me 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

4. I’m not necessarily a big Coben fan, but I do love to have a prolific author like that who I can count on to go to when I am up for a good read!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | March 14, 2013 | Reply

• If you met him in person you would be a fan 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

5. I’ve not read any of his books, but I think I should definitely give him a try!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | March 14, 2013 | Reply

6. I’m sorry this wasn’t one of your favorites, but hooray for not having to wait long for the new one!

Comment by Jennifer | Book Den | March 14, 2013 | Reply

7. I like him too!! I have his newest book on my list to read this year. Looks like I need to read this one though!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | March 14, 2013 | Reply

• I need to go pick up the new one this weekend.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

8. This was not one of my favorites either, but Scott Brick read it and made it that much better! I look forward to Six Years.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | March 14, 2013 | Reply

9. I haven’t read this one, but usually enjoy his audio versions. I have an eGalley of the new on coming soon.

I have a good weekend Stacy.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | March 15, 2013 | Reply

• I am looking forward to the new one.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

10. I continue to say I want to read a Harlan C, which one would you recommend? I do love when an author adds saracism.

Comment by Tea Time with Marce | March 16, 2013 | Reply

• Tell No One is my personal favorite, Marce! And it looks like Sandy (above) agrees with me 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 16, 2013 | Reply

• Thanks Stacy, I think I have this on my list from Thrill Week also.

Comment by Tea Time with Marce | March 16, 2013

11. I picked up a few of Coban’s books at a library sale… now I need to read them!

Comment by Leslie | March 16, 2013 | Reply

• I need to find a local library sale! Love them.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

12. I have read all of Coben’s books (except for the couple of YA’s that he wrote about Myron Bolitar’s nephew, Mickey). I would probably agree with you about Stay Close – good, not great. His latest, on the other hand, Six Years, which is coming out soon, came to me as an ARC (as you know, it’s a real bonus if you get an ARC for a book you would have purchased anyway). Six Years is being hailed as one of his best. I don’t know if that’s true, but it is a very good read (I have recently blogged about it – http://booksage.blogspot.com/). And, as I think I’ve mentioned before, if you ever get to see him live, do it. He is hysterical and extremely entertaining.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | March 16, 2013 | Reply

• I love that you’ve read them all too! I did read the frist of the YA series and it was good. If you like Myron you’ll love reading about Mickey, even though it’s YA.
      I met Coben many years ago at a signing in Houston and was so charmed by him. He definitely helps sell his books!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

13. Love Harlan Coben, I collect his books too. Still haven’t read this one but I’m hoping to get to it before his new one comes out …

Comment by Teddyree | March 17, 2013 | Reply

14. I love Harlan Coben too but am also behind on his last few books. He writes so well and his stories really suck me in. I’d better pick up the pace!

Comment by Wrighty | March 17, 2013 | Reply

• At least you’ll always have something to read! I hate when I catch up with a favorite author~

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

15. I love Coben too but it feels like his writing is going down a bit since his first works which were so suspenseful. I don’t know if he is having to crank out too many books too quickly or he’s lost his writing mojo, or what!

Comment by boardinginmyforties | March 19, 2013 | Reply

• I hear you. I’m still in love with Myron but his standalones haven’t blown me away for a while.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 22, 2013 | Reply

16. I haven’t picked up a Coben book in quite some time. Maybe this summer …

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | March 23, 2013 | Reply

17. Oh I like him too and I don’t think I read this one. I get the titles confused sometimes. I’ll have to look for this one … maybe on audio would be good.

Comment by Jenners | March 28, 2013 | Reply