Writers Lost in 2012 Quiz – guessing closed

Tuesday Quizzes are back!!  I hope that you’ll try your hand at my (mostly) bookish quizzes every week, but it’s okay if you just want to play when the quiz interests you.  If you play you are eligible for a prize at the end of the round (sometime in June).  For all of the details, click here.  Submit your answers in the comment section – I will stop by and hide them throughout the week but try not to copy off anyone else 🙂  You have til Sunday to guess.

These writers all died last year.  Oh, and no googling!!! This is just for fun, for pete’s sake!

1. This screenwriter, producer, journalist, and author was responsible for some of my favorite movies (When Harry Met Sally being one) and her 1983 novel Heartburn chronicled some of her married life with Watergate journalist Carl Bernstein.  Nora Ephron 5-19-1941/6-26-12

2. Science fiction found a new voice with the publication of the The Martian Chronicles in 1950.  This powerhouse also wrote a famous book about burning books.  Ray Bradbury 8-22-1920/6-5-2012

3. Who will know where the wild things are now?  Maurice Sendak 6-10-1928/5-8-2012

4. He may be the last of a generation of authors who served in WWII.  His specialty was the historical novel, including titles like Lincoln, Julian, and Burr, but he also wrote many screenplays, including Ben Hur.  Gore Vidal 10-3-1925/7-31-2012

5. One of Ireland’s best-loved writers wrote 16 novels. Her first, Light a Penny Candle (1982), Circle of Friends (1990), and an Oprah book club selection in 1999 being a few favorites.  Maeve Binchy 5-28-1940/7-30-2012

6. Without him people would not know these 7 habits of annoyingly effective people.  Steven Covey 10-24-1932/7-16-2012

7. He died in a car accident while touring for his own book, but he was also a well-known co-author on such books as The Last Lecture as well as books with Captain Sully Sullenberger and Gabrielle Giffords.  Jeffrey Zaslow  10-6-1958/2-10-2012

8. This Editor in Chief of Cosmopolitan magazine for 32 years also wrote the bestseller Sex and the Single Girl in 1962.  Helen Gurley Brown 2-18-1922/8-13-2012

9. This Canadian turned New York writer wrote three collections of essays, all of them winning awards.  David Rakoff  11-27-1964/8-9-2012

10. This motivational speaker wrote See You at the Top and Selling 101.  Plus he has cool initials.  Zig Ziglar 11-6-1926/11-28-2012

26 thoughts on “Writers Lost in 2012 Quiz – guessing closed

1. rhapsodyinbooks says:

Here’s what happens when I read your list. I go down and I say, Oh yeah, that’s what’s-his-name! Or that’s what’s her name! It only comes to me later! Actually #2 just came to me, but only after I went through the whole brain-excavation thing! :–)

• stacybuckeye says:

You are so silly~ Depending on my mood if you used a few descripters like ‘what’s-his-name that lives in the big white house in DC’ You would totally get points for it. (This could work for President Obama or Bo the dog and probably quite a few other people)

2. Kay says:

Yay for the quizzes! No promises as to how many will float to the surface of my tiny brain. LOL

1. Nora Ephron
    2. Ray Bradbury?
    3. …on the tip of my tongue…Maurice Sendek?
    4. Gore Vidal?

10 –

4. Jenners says:

OK. I can do this I think (most of them):

1. Nora Ephron

2. Ray Bradbury

3. Maurice Sendak

4. DAMN …maybe Gore Vidal?

5. Maeve Binchy

6. Stephen Covey

7. Don’t know this one

8. Helen Gurley Brown

9. Hmmm…not sure. Will probably kick myself when I see the answer.

10. Again, not sure.

5. softdrink says:

Hooray for quizzes!
    1. Nora Ephron
    2. Ray Bradbury
    3. That guy who wrote Where the Wild Things Are 😉
    5. Maeve Binchy
    6. Stephen Covey died?!? I could say rude things, but I’ll refrain. My work went through a phase where we all had to take the class. Urgh.
    8. Helen Gurley Brown?
    9. female, right? I think I have one of her books on my shelf. Too lazy to go and look, though. Something about weddings, or wakes, or funerals…
    10. You say cool initials and all I can think of is LL Cool Jay. Pretty sure that’s not it.

• stacybuckeye says:

I’ve tried to read Covey’s books but it only made me feel very ineffective so I thought the most responsible thing to do was to stop reading. LL does have cool initials. 5 points for Wild Things. 55 🙂

6. Teddyree says:

LOL ooh you’re starting with a tough one

2. on the tip of my tongue … the guy that wrote Farenheit??
    3. Maurice Sendak … that’s one of my favourite kid’s books
    5. Maeve Binchy
    6. Stephen Covey
    10. Zig Ziglar

not a clue about the rest 🙂