Sundays with Gage – Good babysitters are hard to find

Good babysitters are hard to find and when you do find them, they are tough to keep!  When you live away from family babysitters become necessary.  Necessary if you want to keep your sanity and maintain a healthy marriage.  For the first year we mainly went out when my parents came to visit or we went home.  Then I found two neighbor girls to come once or twice a week for a few hours and in February I found a great babysitter who I trusted completely, but she stopped showing up last month.  And the neighbor girls couldn’t help out any more because they were both working full-time at Dairy Queen.

I was sad and back to feeling the overwhelming need for a break.  Fortunately, my prayers were answered by not one, but two new babysitters this week 🙂

When My Gym closed the manager needed to make some money before she moves back to Pennsylvania in  October.  Sign me up!  And then the daughter of a friend quit her job at Panera  and needed to make some money before she moves to Utah at the end of August.  I’ll take two, thanks!

Both of these are short termers, but I’ve come the realization that babysitters are a fairly nomadic lot, moving in and out of your life whether you want them to or not!

If you have family close that wants to spend time with your kid and give you a much needed break, thank your lucky stars.  You are blessed!

June 3, 2012 - Posted by | Gage

1. It is hard when family is not close. I am so glad you were able to find a couple more.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk)N | June 3, 2012 | Reply

2. It must be so tough for you without close family living locally. I was and am very fortunate that both sets of grandparents have always been nearby, as well as siblings to help out.

Comment by Stephanie D. | June 3, 2012 | Reply

3. That photo of Gage is darling!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | June 3, 2012 | Reply

4. You are 100% right about being lucky to have family around you. When we were raising our children, both sets of parents lived nearby and did a lot of babysitting. Now that we’re grandparents, we provide the same service for our children. Our son has both sets of parents to babysit, and out daughter has us. More power to you and your husband for making sure that you get out so that you can keep your marriage strong. Parenting can be so stressful, that it’s key that the parents are on the same page.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | June 4, 2012 | Reply

5. My wife keeps pointing to the couples who have four or more children and asking why we couldn’t do that. I keep pointing to the houses next door to these people, where their kids’ grandparents live.

Comment by Scott Nagele | June 4, 2012 | Reply

6. Wow, I bet it’s the first time you ever found yourself wishing a DQ were going to close! LOL

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | June 4, 2012 | Reply

7. We are so lucky to have lots of family nearby and close friends who can help out when necessary. That picture is darling, too.

Comment by Carol | June 4, 2012 | Reply

8. having family close by makes it easy, but not having family close by gives you a reason for making new friends.

Comment by kaye | June 4, 2012 | Reply

9. I agree!! We don’t have a regular babysitter and I’ve always regretted that.

Comment by Jenners | June 4, 2012 | Reply

10. Wish we lived closer so we could baby sit every week. Gage is so much fun! I’m glad you have sitters lined up for now.

Comment by Gage's Grandma | June 4, 2012 | Reply

11. Gage is so cute! Love this photo. It sounds difficult to find consistent, good sitters. What a headache! I used to babysit a little bit when I was in college. I went to a small-ish Jesuit run college. Parents used to advertise through the administration. Is Gage picky about who cares for him?
    I understand how fortunate parents are who have family willing to babysit close by. Good luck, Stacy! Wish I lived close to you and could spend time with Gage!

Comment by Amy | June 5, 2012 | Reply

12. I am so glad you were able to find a couple of babysitters, Stacy! We don’t live near family either, which makes it hard.

I love the photo of Gage. 🙂

Comment by Literary Feline | June 5, 2012 | Reply

13. Gage looks adorable in this photo and ready for summer. Glad you found new resources so you and your hubby can take a much needed break from time to time.

Comment by boardinginmyforties | June 25, 2012 | Reply