My Monthly Movie Thoughts and open invitation

These are the movies I’ve watched this month and I’ve given each one a grade and 5 words to describe it.  There are two ways to actively participate.  One, if you’ve seen any of the movies leave me your 1-5 words in the comments and I’ll add them to the post.  Or, if you are feeling ambitious and want to do this on your own blog leave me a link in the comments and I’ll add it to the bottom of the post.   Of course,  you can just browse and enjoy too 🙂

(2009. Cast- Zooey Deschanel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt)  Grade A

Quirky Charming Original Un-Love Story.

Enchanting, lovely, hilarious, romantic realism. (Nolatari)
Quirky, end was really fantastic!  (Heather)

This whole movie is charming.  (Tony)

(1993. Cast- Johnny Depp, Aidan Quinn, Mary Stuart Masterson)  Grade B+

Two Misfits. Sweet Love Story.

Sweet, quirky, plus Johnny Depp! (Stephanie)

Adorable. Depp at his sweetest. (Nolatari)

Touching Cute Early Depp Vehicle (Beth)
Johnny Depp, disarmingly charming role. (Michelle)

Depp, one of his best!  (Heather)

(2010. Cast- Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams) Grade B

Gritty. Troubling. Insanity. Prison. Surprising.

Book and movie both great  (Heather)

Leo is crazy, right?  Right???  (Tony)

(2009. Cast- Russell Crowe, Rachel McAdams, Ben Affleck, Helen Mirren, Jason Bateman, Robin Wright Penn) Grade B

Journalism & Politics on Trial. Lies.

Good enough. Series is better. (Nolatari)

I enjoyed the political intrigue.  (Heather)

Politics as usual, poor guy.  (Tony)

(1986. Cast- William Peterson, Joan Allen, Brian Cox, Dennis Farina) Grade B

Hannibal Lecktor. Grissom Before Grissom.

Unsatisfying once you see Hopkins.  (Tony)

(1980. Cast- Brooke Shields, Christopher Atkins) Grade C+

Childlike Innocence.  Escapism. Campy Fun.

Mostly for Teen Age Boys (Beth)

February 27, 2010 - Posted by | 5 Word Movie Reviews |

1. I enjoyed (500) Days of Summer too. Vance and I might go see Shutter Island when he’s home for Spring Break.

Comment by bermudaonion | February 27, 2010 | Reply

2. I’m feeling out of it. I haven’t seen any of these movies. I’ll take this as a suggested list – at least the A and B+ movies.

Comment by Margot | February 27, 2010 | Reply

3. I don’t have any cool words to add to what you’ve already done…but I do want to say that I love it! 😀

Comment by Staci-Life in the Thumb | February 27, 2010 | Reply

4. I love the diversity of the movies you’ve seen!!!

Comment by Jenners | February 27, 2010 | Reply

5. I loved Benny and Joon – so quirky and has one of my favorite movie quotes about raisins being humiliated grapes.

Comment by Stephanie Dellosa | February 28, 2010 | Reply

• I love that line too 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 5, 2010 | Reply

6. I liked 500 days of summer too! It was so original…It really ended way different than I was expecting…I read Shutter Island and liked it. I’ll probably see the movie once it comes out on DVD. Benny and Joon! It has Johnny Depp in it so it’s great!

Comment by Heather | February 28, 2010 | Reply

• The movie is remarkably close to the book.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 5, 2010 | Reply

7. I’ve heard good reviews on 500 Days of Summer but have yet to watch it, so the DVD will be onto my wishlist! I want to watch Shutter Island, hopefully I’ll find some time to watch it in the cinema!! 😀

Comment by Melody | February 28, 2010 | Reply

8. I have only watched The Blue Lagoon. And I don’t remember much of it!

😀

Shutter Islands interests me.

Comment by gautami tripathy | March 1, 2010 | Reply

9. 500 Days of Summer was my Netflix pick this weekend. It annoyed me at first, then I started to enjoy it. It had a good message: People tell you their truths; you just have to listen. She tried to tell him… Anyway, it was a good movie.

I’m going to keep a list of my movies to join in next month. What a fun idea Stacy!

Comment by CeeCee | March 1, 2010 | Reply

• Glad you’re going to join in the fun!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 5, 2010 | Reply

10. haven’t seen any of the movies here, darnit

Comment by Violet | March 2, 2010 | Reply

11. I’ve only seen Blue Lagoon and that was a long time ago. It was funny to see it on TV as an adult compared to seeing it at the theater when I was a kid back in the Stone Age (as my lovely children like to call it). It was kind of shocking at the time – naked silhouettes, a baby, stranded on an island. Of course with two gorgeous actors everyone went to see it!

I always enjoy your comments and grades for the movies you see. By the time I watch them on DVD I have an idea of what to expect! 🙂

Comment by Wrighty | March 3, 2010 | Reply

• I don’t know how I made it through my early teen years without seeing it. I know I would have had a completely different opinion if I had seen it then! I would have thought it was much more romantic.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 5, 2010 | Reply

12. I love the way you do this!

Comment by Alice Teh | March 3, 2010 | Reply

13. I love your 5-word movie reviews! My comment isn’t about the movies, but about you:

Creative movie reviewer: awesome post! 🙂

Comment by Robin | March 3, 2010 | Reply

• Aw, how sweet 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 5, 2010 | Reply

14. Blue Lagoon = D

I want my money back.

Comment by Bumbles | March 3, 2010 | Reply

15. This was my treadmill watching last month and it kept me entertained. Your refund is in the mail.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 5, 2010 | Reply

16. 500 Days of Summer: Enchanting, lovely, hilarious, romantic realism.
    Benny & Joon: Adorable. Depp at his sweetest.
    State of Play: Good enough. Series is better.

Comment by Nolatari | May 11, 2011 | Reply

17. Johnny Depp, disarmingly charming role.

Comment by thetruebookaddict | June 13, 2012 | Reply

18. 500 Days of Summer: Quirky, end was really fantastic!

Benny and Joon: Depp, one of his best!

Shutter Island: Book and movie both great

State of Play: I enjoyed the political intrigue.

Comment by hmsgofita | December 29, 2012 | Reply

19. […] in the now defunct Monday Movie Meme, watched six movies (you can still add your five word review here) and featured my Fave Film #23 – The Silence of the Lambs.  I gave away six books and a […]

Pingback by A look back, February 2010 & movie question « Stacy's Books | February 20, 2016 | Reply