Monday Movie Meme – I don’t get it

Feature Presentation…MONDAY MOVIE MEME

This week’s movie topic is all about Popular Movies You Hated…

District 9 So many people (and bloggers) told me I would love this film and I convinced Jason he would too.  Um, neither of us liked it at all.  And, yes, we understood the underlying messages of the movie (we knew them going in), but we didn’t get all the hype.  After I told a friend that we didn’t care for it she asked if I realized who the guy with the flower was at the end? Yes.  Didn’t save the movie for me.

The English Patient We watched it because it won the Oscar and I only made it to the end by sheer will.  I cannot remember anything I liked in this one.  I feel like Elaine from Seinfeld after she admits to her boss that she hated The English Patient and he fired her.  Please don’t stop reading my blog because I hated The English Patient, please?

Pulp Fiction When I saw it the first time at the theater I was unprepared for all of the violence and I hated it.  Watched it again years later and still disliked it.  I am sure I’m missing that cool Tarantino gene where I understand the genius of every movie he makes.

Amadeus It’s been awhile since I’ve seen this one, but when Jason & I ranked the AFI’s Top 100 movies of all-time (we spent many years and watched them all) this one came in at the bottom of my list.  To be honest, I only remember that I couldn’t wait for it to end and not much else.  Many people I love really like this one, so maybe one day I’ll give it another shot.

Brokeback Mountain This one I didn’t hate, but almost as bad, I was bored.  I know it broke new ground with A list actors in a gay love story, but I just kept waiting for something to happen.  This is a problem I have with a lot of westerns.  The one saving grace for me in this movie was Heath Ledger.  He was phenomenal.

Want to see what movies other bloggers chose?  Visit The Bumbles.

Why not leave a comment confessing your own list.  I’d love to see it!

36 thoughts on “Monday Movie Meme – I don’t get it

1. Heather says:

The only one of these I ahve seen is Pulp Fiction, and while the violence and some scenes were hard to take, I was able to appreciate the cinematography and editing of the movie. I admit, I wouldn’t have even liked that aspect of it had I not just taken a film criticism course. My list is here.

2. Susan says:

I haven’t seen District 9, Amadeus or the English Patient, which I can’t watch because of Ralph Fiennes. I love Juliette Binoche though.

I’m not a fan of Tarantino’s movies, although I did enjoy watching Travolta dance with Uma.

Brokeback Mountain is just too, too much for me. Like you, I appreciate the fact of the groundbreaking and the awesome performances by Ledger, Michelle Williams, and Anne Hathaway, who I think was underrated in the movie and gave a very layered performance. The too, too much part was the cringe-inducing intimacy and I don’t mean just the sex scenes. I felt as if I were eavesdropping on someone’s personal tragedy and that made me very uncomfortable. My 82-yr-old MIL loves it though, and has watched it several times. Go figure.

• stacybuckeye says:

I liked Brokeback and appreciated the effort and performances, I just think all of its accolades made me think it was going to be awesome and for me it wasn’t.

3. Forgetfulone says:

Oh, I didn’t like Pulp Fiction, either! I don’t get all the fuss! And I haven’t bothered to watch the others. I’m pretty sure, based on what I know, that I won’t like them, either.

4. candice says:

Stacy- I completely agree with you about the English Patient. HATED IT!!!! I went with a friend, and mid-way she turned to me and asked, “you’re hating this, right?” somehow she knew, although she really liked it. Too long and too dull. No passion at all.
    You should, however, watch the Seinfeld episode about it (It’s actually called the English Patient). Elaine hates the movie and her rant is too funny!
    Thanks for the post. It’s almost more fun to hear about the movies people hate!

5. Janet says:

I really disliked Pulp Fiction. Even tried watching it a second time thinking I missed something the first time. Ugh! I think all of your reviews are right on.

6. Melody says:

I’ve only watched District 9 and Brokeback Mountain from your list. I enjoyed watching them, but didn’t love them. I’d like to watch The English Patient, and that reminds me that I need to read the book too (which has been sitting on my pile for ages)! 😛

• stacybuckeye says:

District 9 could not get over fast enough for me 🙂 And at the theater parents had their 3, 5, and 7 years old kids which I thought was so inappropriate!

7. Jenners says:

I agree with you on The English Patient … I was just ready for it to end. But Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies of all time. Houston … we have a problem! : )

• stacybuckeye says:

Yes, yes. I asked Jason to guess what 5 movies I picked and he got 4 right away. He also told me my Pulp Fiction choice would be the most unpopular. Hate it when he’s right.

8. Literary Feline says:

If I’ve ever seen Amadeus, I don’t remember it. I did, however, love all the other movies you mentioned. LOL Admittedly, it took the second time around for me to appreciate Pulp Fiction (my husband wanted to see it again so I watched with him begrudgingly), but eventually I came around.

• stacybuckeye says:

I did like Pulp Fiction better the second time, which was only a few years ago, but my total distaste for it the first time didn’t help.

9. Bumbles says:

I enjoy violence with dry humor – a la Pulp Fiction. So that one’s a treasure for me.

I really enjoyed Brokeback Mountain – I thought it was incredibly touching and tragic – not to mention beautiful scenery (Heath er I mean the mountains).

Amadeus has been wiped from my memory – with good reason it seems.

10. Wrighty says:

I hated The English Patient too. That’s so funny you mentioned Seinfeld because that’s the same thing I thought! I’ve only seen part of Pulp Fiction and I’m not a big Tarrentino fan either. Brokeback Mountain was OK and Heath Ledger definitely made it worth while!

11. jennygirl says:

Amadeus what agreat movie. I always felt bad for Mozart and my music teacher said Saliari was totally misrepresented.
    Would like to see District 9 because I’m a sci-fi fan. Sorry you didn’t enjoy it.

12. Kristen says:

I went to see The English Patient when I was 9 months pregnant. Trying to fit my unwieldy and uncomfortable self into a small theater seat for that long and then stay awake for the slog through all that dullness was an impossible challenge. I loathed that movie with a passion. I actually did go on to read the book several years later and thought the book was infinitely better than the movie. Of course, the book didn’t have to contend with my cranky pregnant hormones. 😉