Bring on the Cable Cars!

Jason & I will be heading out to San Francisco for a mini vacation next week and we’ll be there six days.  Well, okay, Jason will be working a lot of the time, but I’ll be busy exploring.  We’ve both been there once.  I was there for a few days in  1994 mainly to visit friends and Jason was there for a few days of work a few years ago, but didn’t get to see much.

So, I’m planning our trip and I’m wondering if any of you have a favorite place or activity that you think we should see.  Or maybe a bookstore I shouldn’t miss?  I’d love some recommendations!

17 thoughts on “Bring on the Cable Cars!

1. Stephanie Dellosa says:

Oh, how wonderful!

Well, favorite book store is easy – Green Apple Bookstore on Clement. If you’re hungry, go to Burma Superstar down the street.

Of course you must have Dungeness crab while here – I confess that I just plop myself on one of the street vendors’ stools and have a steaming plateful on a cold day.

Golden Gate Park on a Sunday is beautiful and plenty of people watching, as well as swing dancing. A rowboat around Stow Lake is lovey.

I hope you have a great time!

2. rhapsodyinbooks says:

It’s a great city – to me the most fun thing is always driving up the hills in town and then right before you’re ready to come down the other side, you’re suspended in midair and you can’t even see the street below you! And you look to the side and you see a street sign that says “HILL” and then you just plunge on down!

3. Florinda says:

I’m envious! My husband and I spent a long weekend in San Francisco a few years ago, which isn’t enough time, so we’ll go back one of these days.

It’s touristy, but even so, don’t miss Pier 39 at Fisherman’s Wharf. The sea lions may even be back by now.

Despite the hills, San Francisco is a walkable city, and that’s a great way to see it. Climb the wooden steps up Telegraph Hill and check out the view from Coit Tower. From there, you can walk to North Beach for the Italian food (and City Lights Bookstore).

Ride a cable car at least once. The ones on the California Street line tend to be less crowded.

There are some nice little shops in the Ferry Building downtown.

If you can get out to Golden Gate Park, you can visit the Japanese Tea Garden, the Conservatory, and the museums (California Academy of Science, the aquarium, and the DeYoung Museum of Art).

There’s so much to do and it’s so hard to pick just a few things. Have a great time!

4. Lenore says:

Oooh! Have fun! I’ve been to SF quite a few times in the last few years, but it has always been to visit my brother and his family, so I haven’t gotten to see the city much.

5. Thoughts of Joy says:

Ohhhh! You lucky duck! We were there about 5 years ago (wow, time flies) and I loved the Japanese Tea Garden, cable cars, Pier 39, China Town, the ? Museum (it had Geisha artifacts and I was literally reading Memoirs of a Geisha at that time, so it was fascinating) and ? Park (it’s across the bridge and it has a wonderful path through the redwood trees. Please let us know what you did when you get back. Have fun!

Oh yeah, that windy street, Lombard? – we walked it and enjoyed looking at the houses along the sides.

6. Bonnie says:

Have a wonderful time in San Francisco! I was there over 10 years ago and loved it. There is so much to see and do and lots of walking. I hope that you have wonderful sunny warm weather also. You have to go the Pier and we had a great time on the ferry ride to Alcatraz and the tour there. It’s amazing and a bit creepy! China Town is wonderful, full of culture and great restaurants. Definitely ride a cable car and just explore and have fun!!

7. Esme says:

Try Dotties for breakfast-neighborhood is not the nicest -but the food is great-expect to wait-The Slanted Door at The Ferry Market Place great food-visit the Ferry Market Place on Saturdays if you like the food.

Tartine Bakery another favorite.

It is such a great city to walk-hve fun.

8. jennygirl says:

I LOVE San Fran! Check the museums to see what exhibits are there. I caught a great Egyptian one years ago. And go to Ghiradelli’s for ice cream 🙂
    Sorry but I don’t know of any book stores. Have a great time and enjoy yourself.