Our Denver/Vail Trip

Jason & I travelled to Denver last Saturday.  We stayed downtown and had a great time.  We walked the 16th Street mall, where Jason spent some time playing chess on the street with locals.  He won 5 out of 6 and had fun strategizing for an audience.  We also visited the Tattered Cover Bookstore and fell in love.  Gave me lots of great ideas for the bookstore I want to open some day.  They have 3 locations in the Denver area.denver- tattered cover

I suppose I should mention that the mile high city did give me a headache that first day, but did better prepare my body for the 8000+ feet of Vail the next day.

On Sunday we visited the Denver Botanical Gardens and we thought it was a wonderful way to spend a few hours.  Well worth the time and money.denver- gardens

On Sunday we drove through the mountains to Vail.  It’s about an hour & a half trip and it may be the most beautiful hour & a half road trip ever!  The mountains were gorgeous and awe inspiring.

Jason had a conference in Vail (nothing like a mostly free vacation!) and it was our first time there.  This was the view when we walked out of our hotel in the village…

vail village

Not a great photo, but I didn’t really take many pictures in the village because I took so many of the surroundings.  Because I was still on east coast time I was up and out before many of the stores opened (this NEVER happens) and walked around where scenes like this greeted me…

vail mountains

Jason worked business hours, but that left me with mornings of walking and reading and taking way too many pictures and afternoons in the wine bar with my book and a wonderful bartender, Melinda.  When I asked her what she liked to read she pulled a Philippa Gregory book from under the bar.  Thanks for the company, Melinda!

I had a great trip and understand why they call this part of the US God’s Country.  I had a fantastic time.  Here’s one more picture from Betty Ford Park…

vail- bf river

20 thoughts on “Our Denver/Vail Trip

1. Kathy says:

So happy you had a great in Denver and Vail!

Tattered Cover is one of my favorite places! Not only do they have more eclectic titles than any other bookstore…they host great author signings.

Vail is so fun! When we first moved to Colorado, I wanted to move there!

I can certainly see the attraction of living in Vail, but is so isolated. For a city gal like me I probably wouldn’t last long!

2. Mary says:

Great photos! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Next time I visit my sis I need to get to The Tattered Cover. We took the kids to CO in the summer and loved it. Stopped in Vail, Aspen, etc. Wonderful trip. And I know that headache!

The Tattered Cover was a lot of fun. It was a great respite after a few hours of walking. They had all kinds of seating there.

3. Margot @ Joyfully Retired says:

Wonderful photos. Sounds like you had a fantastic time. I’ve heard good things about The Tattered Cover. I’d love to visit sometime too.

Maybe we should have a book bloggers get together there someday. Everyone wants to visit 🙂

4. Hilarie says:

This sounds like a fabulous vacation! I’m so glad you had a good time. I grew up in the Rocky Mountains, and there really is no place like it anywhere else on Earth.

It really was perfectly beautiful.

5. CeeCee says:

Wow, just Wow. Glad you’re enjoying your vacation! And you want to open a book store too. I hope we achieve our dreams.

When we were in the Tattered Cover I finally got my husband on board!

6. Megan says:

Stacy, color me absolutely jealous! I fell in love with Denver as a kid and have been dying to get back there… hopefully someday soon. Your photos are gorgeous — especially the last one! And an author was just posting on Twitter about how awesome Tattered Cover bookstores are… I think it was Megan Crane? Regardless, they must be awesome! Glad you had fun!

I’ve seen the Tattered Cover mentioned on a few other blogs and I’m so glad I did or we may have missed it!

7. fleurfisher says:

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip, and your photographs are lovely. I’m torn between a book sop and a wool shop. And then again there’s a pet supply shop in town on the market…

Jason is very interested in trying to buy an existing store. We’ll see.

8. gautami tripathy says:

It seems you are having a great time! I envy you. You knows it still hot here even thought it is August and School is horrible right now.

And I received that Keats book. Thanks!

It’s been a pretty mild summer so far, but it’s supposed to get hot this weekend. Hope school get better!

9. Staci says:

First off, I’m pretty jealous that you got to visit a Tattered Book Store!!!! I want to go there so bad. Those pictures are great and this sounds like an area that my husband and I should visit on the motorcycle some day!!! Love that Melinda pulled out a book!! 🙂

It is a beautiful road trip, although when you are coming from the east it really doesn’t get gorgeous til you hit Denver – I know because we drove out to Colorado Springs a few years ago!

10. JoAnn says:

Oh Stacy…we’re doing the same trip in another week!! Flying into Denver, but heading straight to Boulder for one night before continuing on to Vail. Sure hope we can get to the Tattered Cover! The photos are just gorgeous.

11. Wrighty says:

Love your photos! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. My brother lived near Denver for 5 years and we got to visit him twice. I had never been there before and my kids had never been on a plane so everything was a treat! We got to have a tour of the baseball stadium and take a train ride on Pike’s Peak. It was beautiful! My brother moved back only two hours away from us now. When they started having children they decided they were just too far away from family. It was a great trip but I’m so glad they moved back. Thanks for sharing your pictures! (I agree – being on a first name basis with your bartender is always a good thing!)

12. Beth F says:

Fabulous trip and it’s so beautiful there. Our friend’s daughter left yesterday for Boulder, where she will begin graduate school this fall. I hope I get the chance to visit her.