Vacation Books

Our road trip to Maine, with overnight stops in New York, New Hampshire and Massachusetts was a huge success. I posted in Instagram daily so you can click on over if you want to see more, but these were my top 5 favorite moments…

Sunrises

With my guys on my birthday in Hampton, NH
and by myself in Wells, Maine

Mt. Greylock, Massachusetts

Rachel Carson Refuge, Kennybunkport, Maine

So many beaches, so little time

I considered putting my book-a-day challenge on hiatus when we went on our 9 day road trip, but decided to honor the challenge with books I had on our homeschool reading shelf.

My favorite was the picture book A Different Pond by Bao Phi, illustrated by Thu Bui. It’s a touching story of a boy who accompanies his Vietnamese father fishing early in the morning so that the family can be fed for the day. I absolutely loved it!

I also read another picture book, Miep and the Most Famous Diary: The Woman Who Rescued Anne Frank’s Diary by Meeg Pincus, illustrated by Jordi Solano.

I liked How Wolves Came From Dogs by Jack Myers, illustrated by John Rice. There were 12 articles about different animals, all taken and updated from past Highlights Magazine articles. Fun to read and discuss with Gage. We were most interested in how they populated two islands in Maine with Puffins.

We listened to two Big Nate books in the car, Big Nate Flips Out and Big Nate In a Class By Himself. These were quick funny stories that gave all three us smiles and laughs.

The Story of Chocolate by Caryn Polin was interesting. DK always does a good job of sharing facts in a fun layout.

Not so successful (for me and Jason, Gage like them) was the audio of Nate the Great Collected Stories, Volume 4 and Pup Detectives .

On my actual birthday I read the little book that Jason got me that tells me all about the year I was born. It was fun!

I’ll have to catch up with the rest of my reading another day, still playing catch up!

20 thoughts on “Vacation Books

1. Diane says:

I loved your New England travelogue Stacy and so glad your 50th birthday was so special. I love Maine (Portland, Ogunquit and Kennebunkport especially.) Of course, the Berkshires is a place we try to get to a few times a year as well. Did you stop in Boston or anywhere else in MA? Too bad you couldn’t squeeze in The Ocean State and the Newport Gilded era mansions….next time:)

• stacybuckeye says:

We had to leave some states for next time πŸ™‚ Jason and I visited Boston 5 years ago and loved it. One day we’ll take Gage for all of the history alone. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful area πŸ™‚

2. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz says:

A Different Pond is an amazing story. So happy you were able to continue your book-a-day challenge even while you were on vacation.

We had originally planned to go to Maine this fall, but with the rise in Covid cases, we were reluctant to get on a plane. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos of Maine. I’m glad you had such a great trip.

3. Gretchen says:

Gorgeous pictures! The fall colors are so beautiful. My husband and I just took a road trip as well and it was so fun to see fall in so many different states. I love your book choices, they all sound interesting. The DK books are always fascinating. My boys (and I) loved the Nate the Great books. Have a good week!

4. gulfsidemusing says:

I loved following your birthday road trip via Instagram… so many places I love! I’ll echo Diane’s suggestion of southern New England. We enjoyed our summer in CT so much, and Newport is always a good idea!

5. kaysreadinglife says:

Great pictures Stacy and so glad you guys had a nice trip! I’ve not been to Maine either, but have gone to New Hampshire once and Boston once. Long way from Central Texas. LOL