This Week (a month later)

It’s been a month since my last update, but it’s been a busy month.

Highlights of the week

We finished homeschooling on May 28th and I don’t know who was more excited, Gage or his teacher ๐Ÿ˜‰ We are going to do it one more year, and that means that we started 5th grade this week. No rest for the weary! We’re only doing 2.5 hours a day, so it’s really the best of both worlds. In July we’ll do 1 hour a day, and back to 2.5 in August, before the full day (5 hours). This schedule will allow more full weeks off during the year (summer included) while still giving us way more school hours than required (900).

We had friends over for Memorial Day. We made it an outdoor get together and it was much needed after the last year. They have a pool so Gage is especially looking forward to more time together. They look so serious here playing chess but they spent most of the day playing badminton, and I took no pictures of that. I was too busy chatting with friends and it was glorious ๐Ÿ™‚
Yesterday we put carts outside the library for the first time in an attempt to have a small book sale for the kids coming to sign up for the library’s summer reading program. This picture was set up, there were more carts later. I’m hoping to do this more often since some parents still prefer outside to inside, especially since the mask mandate was dropped this week.

Currently reading

May Reads My top 5 post is here.

On the tv

We are between series right now, so our hour of tv at night is spent watching season 1 of the Great British Bake-off, which we’ve never seen.

Movies

I’m going to do a book/movie comparison post this week.

Plans for the weekend

Nothing fun is left, lol. I’ve got a long to do list today and need to get through it so I can have an organized week.

Iโ€™m linking up with theย Sunday Salon.

14 thoughts on “This Week (a month later)

1. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz says:

I’m happy your homeschooling went so well this year that you are willing to do it again. It’s smart that you are continuing to work through the summer…it just makes good sense.

Look at your May. I enjoyed Memory Police and The Switch, and I have been meaning to read Courage for Beginners ever since I got a copy…so long ago.

I like the idea of your outside sale, too. That would work well here.

Have a great week, Stacy.

2. gulfsidemusing says:

That’s such a great idea to do very short days and keep school going through the summer… my sister is always saying that the first month in the fall is spent relearning everything kids forgot during the summer. I haven’t been back in the library just to browse yet, but I’m hoping to this week. Seems like a lot of people are still wearing masks in stores, etc. even though the mandates have been lifted. And I dream about when used book sales might start again….

• stacybuckeye says:

Summer learning is pretty much fun learning and working through summer bridge workbooks to find things that I missed throughout the school year. Our library dropped masks last week and I’d say a majority are still wearing them but not a huge majority. We haven’t gotten the ok for our huge fall book sale, but it’s still a possibility. Honestly, I’m not excited about it. So much set up and so many people in a smallish area. But time will tell ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Diane says:

Yeah for a successful homeschooling year and 5th grade already wow. I love all the book pics and glad you were able to have a little library sale as well. Our library has been having a free cart out front with puzzles, books, audios and sometimes dvds. People drop off and take for free. We started masks optional in most places in our state – we are #3 with the highest number of residents vaccinated. Masks still required on public transportation and doctors offices but optional elsewhere including libraries. It feels great to start returning to normal.

• stacybuckeye says:

I love the free cart idea!! I may have to suggest it to our group ๐Ÿ™‚ We are below 50% vaccinated so we’ll see what happens when people stop wearing masks. Our mandate was just lifted last week so time will tell.

4. Judee says:

A year round school program really is best for the kid’s learning. Sounds like you have a great plant. The book sale is an interesting idea. Masks are on the decline here in Philadelphia area since more and more people are vaccinated.

5. Greg says:

Your library sued book sale looks awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚ And yay for a nice Memorial Day! It’s nice to be able to do more things now.

Hope you have a super week!

6. Gofita says:

Looks like a great month! Glad your homeschooling has been so successful! Love the books and posts and I’m so happy you were able to have friends over and enjoy some downtime. I just love this time of year as school lets out and early summer. Then it all changes once mid-July hits. lol. So I try to enjoy these precious few weeks as much as I can, especially this year! I hope you have a lovely week.

7. Literary Feline says:

It sounds like you have been busy! I am glad the school year went well for Gage and hope this next one will too! I am glad the homeschooling is working out so well for the two of you. And yay for Memorial Day fun! I am glad you were able to get together with friends. I hope you are enjoying your reading! Mouse and I finally finished Just Add Magic and will be jumping back into the Dork Diaries books soon. I hope you have a great weekend and month of June!