This Week – Catching Up

Fave Pic PVGF5334 We went to a park last week and played Ticket to Ride New York before our nature walk.

Highlights of the past few weeks I took off last week for my mental health.  As  the COVID numbers rise and many of our friends going back to some semblance of business as usual, I’ve had to take a step back.  As adults who like spending time together the issue isn’t really about us, but Gage, nine, who has friends who are going to camp and playing together in their neighborhoods. Mask-free of course.  Trying to balance a childhood between social development and physical health is a challenge.  And we received the plan for his private school, either you’re all in or your 100% at home with live streaming of the classroom only.  I’m now considering other options.  Stressful decisions need to be made.

On the plus side, our library opened.  I used to spend hours there multiple times a week, but with local COVID numbers on the rise, I’ve decided to focus on a different way.  I go in, grab a few bags of books, bring them home and try to sell them on our FB page.  I go back to the library to put the holds for customers on the shelf and grab more books.  Keeps my exposure lower, but it involves more trips to the library.  I’ve also been filling our local Little Free Libraries with books from the library.

Gage had a bike play date with a friend this week with another one with a different friend planned tomorrow.  I think I enjoy the time with the moms maybe even more than he enjoys the biking.

Because the numbers in the area have been going up for weeks Jason has been working from home full-time again.  I admit that I like the arrangement.  He ordered himself new office furniture this week so I think he sees it as the new normal.  He also gave himself a haircut which frightens me.  He has a Zoom call with a new client on Monday so hopefully my mom can fix the damage.

Books finished A Desperate Fortune Kearsley was delightful, as always.  Title: The Princess Plan, Author: Julia London The audio was a nice diversion to the real world.

Books reviewed Title: Such a Fun Age, Author: Kiley Reid review, Title: The Ask and the Answer (Reissue with bonus short story) (Chaos Walking Series #2), Author: Patrick Ness review

Currently reading Salvation Station It’s intriguing so far.  This Blessed Mess: Finding Hope Amidst …  Back into my morning devotionals and this one is perfect for the time we’re living in.

Currently listening Title: Evvie Drake Starts Over, Author: Linda Holmes Fun!

Read to Gage Who Was Galileo? Jason and Gage love to talk about space, so I think Gage knew more about Galileo going into this book than I did!

On the TV We breezed through Bosch season 5 on Amazon Prime.   We started the second season of Hanna on Prime and watched a few more episodes of Dead To Me season 1 on Netflix

Movies watched Ready Player One (film).png I never got around to reading the book but we liked the movie.

June Movies post

Plans for the weekend  Our good friends finally have their pool ready and we’re probably going to go since it’s big and everyone can stay socially distanced and still have fun.

24 thoughts on “This Week – Catching Up

1. kaysreadinglife says:

Stacy, nice to hear an update from you. Yes, I can’t even imagine deciding what to do about school for kids. I’m glad I’m not having to do that. My husband’s brother is an elementary art teacher and he has no idea how that is going to work this year. He said he’ll probably be pushing a cart around from room to room wearing a hazmat suit. Ha! Hope you guys have fun at your friend’s pool. Our next door neighbors have 3 daughters in elementary and the father told me the other day that he would go crazy without the pool. Says the girls can work themselves to exhaustion out there and therefore, he doesn’t go crazy. The wife works from home too, but her job has been much more intense and so he’s the main one corralling the kids. Sounds like you’re doing well with selling your library’s books and filling the little free libraries. We all do what we can, right? Wish there was something I could do remotely as a volunteer, but other than running our mystery group virtually, I can’t. Take care and hope your week is restful and relaxing.

• stacybuckeye says:

A pool would be nice. Somehow the hot tub isn’t nearly as enticing in 90 degree heat 🙂 Being able to help the library, at least partly remotely, has been nice and given me something normal to focus on. We’re planning our first outdoor pop up book sale this week so we’ll see how it goes.

2. Marg says:

I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it is to try and deal with issues related to schooling and trying to keep kids entertained. It must be beyond challenging.

We have just gone back into lockdown which is a bit disheartening, but it is necessary because our numbers are on their way back up. Nowhere near the numbers you are dealing with in the US, but it’s better to take action now I guess.

• stacybuckeye says:

Our governor warned us if we didn’t start wearing masks so that the numbers would go down that he’d have to do something, I’m guessing at least a partial shutdown may be in the works 😦

3. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz says:

I can’t just barely keep my head up enough to function day-to-day. I can’t imagine trying to make decisions about a child. My sister and I talk each week on Zoom, and we both agreed that we would choose to keep our kids home this year. But it’s a difficult decision. Kids need other kids. I hope you are able to come to a good decision about these important matters.

I think I need to look for some more of those Who Was books. I enjoyed the one I read about Napoleon. I bet there are others about figures in French history.

I’m glad to hear your library reopened. Curbside pickup has been one thing I am looking forward to each week. It’s great that you can still help the library during this time.

Stay safe and well.

• stacybuckeye says:

I knew keeping him home was what I wanted, but making the decision to homeschool has been an exciting one! We are loving the Who Was books and now that we’re homeschooling I might have to buy more of the collection.

4. Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) says:

Curbside pick up has begun at our library too. I am there every other day picking up books, many people are not using this service yet. Our pool has been a great help to our kids, who are working from home, they drop off the grands for a few hours of just focusing on the job. Bosch is one of our favorite series.

5. Diane says:

Our library was only doing curbside but will open 2 days a week by appt. only for 45 minute windows. Our state is one of the super cautious ones for which I am grateful and our numbers have steadily declined.

My daughter is worried about school for the girls, all we know is that masks will be required for grades 2 and up. What about the hugging, snotty wee ones? I just wish everyone would really take this seriously.

I’m in a funk about nothing to do lately but, I’m not running out and being crazy either.

• stacybuckeye says:

I have also entered the funk phase. I’m just waiting for the numbers to go down so I feel good about taking Gage anywhere, even outside places. It’s good that your numbers are going down so that parents might feel better about sending their kids to school.

6. The Many Thoughts of a Reader says:

I really like Evvie Drake! Our school district releases their plan on Wednesday. Our governor already put out some recommendations and requirements so they have to abide by that. I know they are offering an online option for anyone who doesn’t feel comfortable. But I am anxiously awaiting what the rest of it will look like. THIS ALL SUCKS. I wish people could listen and get this all taken care of.

• stacybuckeye says:

Yes! Stay home, avoid large crowds, and mask up when you’re around people or in stores. I feel like even if 75% of the people did this we’d all be farther along in taming this mess. It does all suck for sure.

7. hmsgofita says:

It is frightening. I also am struggling with school stuff for the fall. My state’s numbers are rising way too much. I’m not sure what we’re going to do yet. I may end up keeping him home and doing online school. We have also taken a step back. We’re back in lock-down mode to keep our distance and exposure low.

Looks like you’ve been reading some fun books! I’m trying to balance my reading out with fun and educational ones on history, race, etc.

I’m glad Jason can work from home. Archie does too and it’s kept our sanity going. I hope you guys continue to stay safe and healthy! Have a great week!

• stacybuckeye says:

There are lots of good online schools out there. I’m doing my own curriculum this year (terrifying!), mainly because if I do I can take advantage of the $27,000 the state awards as an autism scholarship. There is a list of pre-approved services we can use for Gage (piano lessons, one-on-one tutoring among other things) that I’ll be looking into this next week. More work, but the benefits should be worth it. Good luck with the decision making. There is no perfect choice.

8. Susan says:

What do you think of the series Dead to Me? We just watched episode 1 … and are a bit on fence but perhaps we should go on? Are you liking it? We’re also watching Messiah on Netflix which has our attention … perhaps check it out.

9. Les in OR says:

I thought Ready Player One was a fun movie, but the audiobook was outstanding! I now hear that there will be a follow-up (Ready Player Two), but I’m not sure if I’ll read/listen to that one, since I’m not a fan of sequels.

I really feel for you trying to sort of the schooling issues for Gage. There doesn’t seem to be any plan that suits all the needs (safety for teachers and children, social interaction for the kiddos, ease for parents, etc.) of everyone concerned. It’s truly a nightmare and my heart goes out to all the parents who are struggling with this on top of trying to keep their jobs and their businesses afloat. It’s the worst, inexcusable mess and I am so tired of people not wearing their masks! End of rant.