Top Ten Tuesday – Otherworldly Classics

I love to see these lists on other blogs and have wanted to jump in for a while.  Today is the day!  The Broke and the Bookish host this weekly meme so hop over and see what other bloggers are talking about today.

I was inspired when I saw Wendy’s list (Musings of a Bookish Kitty) so decided to do a small tweak on hers.  My love of reading started with romances, but through some exceptional fantasy/sci-fi classics I have come to appreciate the genre.  And in recent years magical realism has been creeping into my reading too.

Top Ten Classics with an Otherworldly Twist.

Title: A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet Series #1), Author: Madeleine L'EngleA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle.  I remember loving this one as a kid and need a re-read before the movie comes out later this year.

Title: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia Series #2), Author: C. S. LewisThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S.Lewis. Another one I loved as a kid.  I admit I never made it through the whole series, but I’d like to try with Gage.

Title: Watership Down, Author: Richard AdamsWatership Down by Richard Adams.  This story completely from the perspective of rabbits is a gem that shouldn’t be missed.

Title: Ender's Game (Ender Quintet Series #1), Author: Orson Scott CardEnder’s Game by Orson Scott Card. Another one I can’t wait to share with Gage someday soon.  Complex and exciting.

Title: Fellowship of the Ring (Lord of the Rings Trilogy #1 - Movie Art Cover), Author: J. R. R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien.  Loved it when I read it in college and loved the movie just as much.

Title: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide Series #1), Author: Douglas AdamsThe Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.  Such a comic treat the first time you read it.

Title: The Time Machine: H.G. Wells' Groundbreaking Time Travel Tale, Classic Science Fiction, Author: H. G. WellsThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells.  Surprisingly gripping for such a slim novel.

Title: Beloved, Author: Toni MorrisonBeloved by Toni Morrison.  This story covers the aftermath of the Civil War.  The fact that there’s a ghost only adds to its mystique.

Title: The House of the Spirits, Author: Isabel AllendeThe House of Spirits by Isabel Allende.  My first foray into magical realism.

Title: Like Water for Chocolate, Author: Laura EsquivelLike Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.  Sexy and magical.  Plus, there’s chocolate!

Have I missed one of your favorites?  Let me know 🙂

August 15, 2017 - Posted by | Uncategorized

1. I never read #1 or #2 and really want to!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | August 15, 2017 | Reply

• I want to read all of these with Gage!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 16, 2017 | Reply

2. I re-read A Wrinkle in Time somewhat recently with my kids. I loved it just as much as an adult as I did when I was a kid!

Comment by A.M.B. | August 15, 2017 | Reply

• Yay! I haven’t read it since I was a kid so I’m glad that it holds up.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 16, 2017 | Reply

3. I’ve only read two of those books – I guess I need to check out some of the others.

Comment by BermudaOnion | August 15, 2017 | Reply

• Hmmmm, I’d pick Watership Down and Beloved for you 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 16, 2017 | Reply

4. I have read all of these, good times. Minus Wrinkle in Time. I read it in 4th grade and hated it. Haven’t reread it. I’ll probably like it now, but I’m a stubborn bum.

Comment by J. Hooligan (@platypire) | August 15, 2017 | Reply

• Heehee. I may hate A Wrinkle in Time when I reread it, since it’s been about 35 years 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 16, 2017 | Reply

5. I haven’t read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in just over ten years but I always manage to watch the movie whenever it’s on TV. And I’ve had The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy on my shelves for years but I still haven’t read it yet.

Comment by Louise ✨🦇 | August 15, 2017 | Reply

• I am excited to share the series with my son. Same with Hitchhikers. Not sure why I never finished either series.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 16, 2017 | Reply

6. I loved The Chronicles of Narnia, which I read as an adult. And the end of Ender’s Game completely took me by surprise.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | August 16, 2017 | Reply

7. Hi! I’ve been rereading A Wrinkle in Time before the movie comes out. I really enjoyed Like Water for Chocolate. It’s a book where I remember physically feeling the magic. Great list!
    My TTT
    Leslie

Comment by LHauser27 | August 16, 2017 | Reply

8. What a great idea for a list, Stacy! I like the direction you went with it. I haven’t read several on your list–yet. But I want to. Like Water for Chocolate and The House of Spirits (which I keep eyeing–I think you gave me my copy?). I love The Lord of the Rings.

Comment by Literary Feline | August 17, 2017 | Reply

9. A couple of my favorites are on there. I keep trying to convince my daughter to read The Hitchhiker’s Guide.

Comment by Carol | August 31, 2017 | Reply

• I need to finish the series someday. I think I read the first 2 or 3.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 31, 2017 | Reply