The Liar by Nora Roberts

Title: The Liar, Author: Nora RobertsThe Liar. Finished 2-7-17, 3/5, romantic suspense?, pub. 2015

Unabridged audio read by January LaVoy. 16 hours 41 minutes

Shelby Foxworth lost her husband. Then she lost her illusions …

The man who took her from Tennessee to an exclusive Philadelphia suburb left her in crippling debt. He was an adulterer and a liar, and when Shelby tracks down his safe-deposit box, she finds multiple IDs. The man she loved wasn’t just dead. He never really existed.

Shelby takes her three-year-old daughter and heads south to seek comfort in her hometown, where she meets someone new: Griff Lott, a successful contractor. But her husband had secrets she has yet to discover. Even in this small town, surrounded by loved ones, danger is closer than she knows—and threatens Griff, as well. And an attempted murder is only the beginning …        from Goodreads

I thought about quitting this one a few discs in but it was such an easy listen that I continued to let it play when I was in the car or cleaning the kitchen.  There isn’t a lot to recommend this one, really, except if you love Nora Roberts.  I don’t love her but have had good luck with the last few I’ve tried by her.

There were a few problems including the heroine, Shelby, who was clueless.  Then there was the fact that it was about 50% too long.  So much repetition and too many mundane, useless conversations.  And the end was something you could see coming from the first few chapters.

Did I forget to mention the good parts?  Okay.  Roberts does know how to write.  I loved the relationship between Griff and Shelby’s little girl, Callie.  The narrator, January LaVoy, did a great job so that probably helped the entertainment factor.

So, if you’re a fan of Roberts you’ll probably like it. But for newbies, I’ve read a few of hers that I’ve really liked that I’d recommend first.

February 7, 2017 - Posted by | 3 Star Books

1. I usually love January’s narration, but thought Shelby was too whiny and I switched to print. Not one of my favorites from this author.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | February 7, 2017 | Reply

• So she wasn’t whiny in print? I really didn’t get her character.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 7, 2017 | Reply

2. I’ve never read Roberts. I don’t expect to start now. But you can’t ignore her decades-long success.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | February 7, 2017 | Reply

• Yep, she’s allowed a dud once in a while 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 7, 2017 | Reply

3. I’ve never been as fond of her standalone novels as her trilogies or quartets. And I also like her paranormal books better, actually. That being said, the story here sounds good. Well, when you write as many as Nora does, not all can be stellar. I donated MONTANA SKY to the library book sale this morning. I loved that one and have read it more than once.

Comment by Kay | February 7, 2017 | Reply

• I don’t think I’ve read Montana Sky. Just added it to my list 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 8, 2017 | Reply

4. That does kind of remind me of The Marriage Lie so I think I’ll skip it.

Comment by BermudaOnion | February 7, 2017 | Reply

5. I’ve only read a handful of her books. Seeing that the audiobook was almost 17 hours I’m impressed that you kept listening.

Comment by Mary | February 7, 2017 | Reply

• LOL. I know, right? That must mean it has some entertainment value 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 8, 2017 | Reply

6. I recently started listening to her J.D. Robb books (last fall, anyway). I still haven’t tried one of her books writing as Nora Roberts. One of these days. It sounds like this one wouldn’t be a good one to start with.

Comment by Literary Feline | February 14, 2017 | Reply