The Traveler by Daren Simkin

The TravelerThe Traveler. Finished 3-4-14, rating 3.5/5, fable, 48 pages, pub. 2008

Once, there was a boy named Charlie. He had a pretty nice life . . . but it wasn’t perfect. So one day he packed up all his time—all his round, squishy years and square, mushy months, down to every itsy-bitsy second—in his suitcase and locked it up safe, said goodbye to his parents, and set off to find something better to spend his time on. Charlie traveled all over the world in search of the perfect thing to make him happy, but that turned out to be much harder to find than he thought. In the meantime, his itsybitsy seconds and silky, smooth hours and raggedy days ticked away and vanished, and soon they added up to weeks and months and years—so that once Charlie stopped his traveling and realized what he really needed out of life, it was almost too late. Almost.

from Goodreads

I rarely have the opportunity to browse library shelves. I usually go in with a purpose or am picking up books on hold, so when I had forty free minutes at the library, I somehow found this very slim book in the fiction section.  I think the only reason I’m mentioning this is because if I actually just talk about the book my review would be over.

I thought this was a sweet 5 minute read.  There isn’t exactly anything profound about spending your time wisely as advice, but it left me with a smile on my face and a little nod in agreement.  If you have a moment I’d see if your library has a copy.  I also think it could be a cute gift for a young person going offi into the great unknown for the first time.  They might not fully appreciate the lesson (not many do in their youth) but it is packaged in such a way (easy to read with illustrations) that you can be pretty sure that at least they’ll read it!

This book  was written and illustrated by two brothers and dedicated to their sister.

So how often do you browse your library bookshelves?

March 5, 2014 - Posted by | 3 1/2 Star Books |

1. I can’t even tell you the last time I stepped foot in the library. You’ve made me curious about this book.

Comment by BermudaOnion | March 5, 2014 | Reply

• You get so many books delivered to your door I don’t know why you would go to a library! 🙂 I started utilizing ours for Gage. Now I always have close to the limit (50) checked out.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 12, 2014 | Reply

2. Sounds lovely!

Comment by Care | March 5, 2014 | Reply

3. Great find, Stacy! I love picking up something new and untried and having it turn out fantastic. I’ll have to see if my library has this!

Comment by Heather | March 5, 2014 | Reply

• It is nice to find a gem of a book when you aren’t looking!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 12, 2014 | Reply

4. Our library has a great online ordering and door-to-door delivery system, so I never really have to step into the library. (I used to go more often when the kids were younger.) But it is fun when I have the time and I go…I always walk out with more than I planned. This sounds like a sweet book, with some important lessons.

Comment by sandynawrot | March 5, 2014 | Reply

• Our library has door ro door service too but I’ve never used it. I drive right by the library to drive Gage to school so it’s very convenient to stop in before I pick him up. I love that they offer it though.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 12, 2014 | Reply

5. Great review Stacy. I’ve been enjoying fables lately. This sounds like a good one to pick up,

Comment by postingfornow | March 6, 2014 | Reply

6. I haven’t been to the library for years. Pre-kindle I spent a lot of time browsing shelves. The book sounds good.

Comment by theriverdaughterkj | March 8, 2014 | Reply

• Browsing shelves is my favorite thing!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 12, 2014 | Reply

7. I love just picking up a short book in the library and just reading it there. 🙂

Comment by Pamela D | March 8, 2014 | Reply

• I did actually bring it home because I was going to use it for a quiz but then I didn’t. Still worth the check out 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 12, 2014 | Reply