Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

ScarletScarlet. Finished audio 6-1-13, 4 stars, YA series, pub. 2013

Unabridged audio 11 hours.  Read by Rebecca Soler.

The Lunar Chronicles (Book 1)

I listened to the first book, Cinder, last year and found it to be a fun and satisfying retelling of a future Cinderella story.  This next book in the series is almost just as good and just as annoying with its non-ending ending (my big complaint of these types of series books)  Anyway, this time around we get the story of Scarlet, or a futuristic take on the Little Red Riding Hood story, complete with the big bad Wolf who may want to kill her.  I think that you must read the first in the series to enjoy this one.  There is much of the back story that is missing (how and why the earth and the moon are at odds for one thing) that would make it hard to fully appreciate the second book without having read Cinder.

Scarlet is a headstrong girl who runs an organic farm with her grandmother, a grandmother who has been missing for weeks.  Scarlet is worried and in the space of a few hours she meets the violent street fighter Wolf and sees her degenerate father for the first time in many years.  Wolf may be able to help her find her grandmother, but does he have ulterior motives?

Cinder, on the other hand, has managed to break out of prison and commandeer a stolen spaceship with a fellow prisoner.  This leads to problems for Emperor Kai as Queen Lavana wants Cinder found, but at what cost to Kai?

I mentioned after I listened to the first one that this series is a little out of my usual reading, but I am totally digging it 🙂  I prefer Cinder’s story to Scarlet’s but love that they both eventually came together.  I am loving this series.

I listened to both of these on audio and have one small complaint about this second one.  Scarlet’s French accent seemed to come and go and it started to drive me a crazy.  Either give her a French accent all of the time or not all, please.    Otherwise I like listening to this on audio and imagine that’s how I’ll continue with the series.  I checked out the CDs from the library.

June 6, 2013 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I think my sister would like this trilogy!

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | June 6, 2013 | Reply

2. Stacy, I’m seeing Beth Hoffman tonight. Can you give me the names of some of you guys who know her so that I can name drop?

Comment by Lloyd Russell | June 6, 2013 | Reply

• Well, you can say you know those Cleveland bloggers Stacy & Bonnie 🙂 Since we just saw her last week I hope she remembers us! So glad that you’ll get to meet her. Have fun!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 6, 2013 | Reply

3. I forgot about Cinder. Quite a few people liked that book and I had no idea there was series. Glad you liked this one but the whole come and go accent would have drove me crazy!!

Comment by jennygirl | June 6, 2013 | Reply

4. I have the first book and have been meaning to get to it. But I really dislike getting into a book when the series isn’t finished yet. So I may wait until they are all out. Everyone tells me how amazing they are!

Comment by hmsgofita | June 6, 2013 | Reply

5. I still haven’t read Cinder, even though it’s been sitting on my shelf since before it came out.

Comment by Carol | June 6, 2013 | Reply

6. I loved both, but I didn’t listen, I read them. I can’t wait for more too!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | June 6, 2013 | Reply

7. I know a few people who would eat this series up 🙂

Comment by Mary | June 6, 2013 | Reply

8. I enjoyed this story too, but agree with the non-ending aspect.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | June 6, 2013 | Reply

9. You noticed the accent flaw too!! I thought I was imagining it! 🙂 But other than that I absolutely love this series on audio and can NOT wait until the third book!!!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | June 6, 2013 | Reply

10. I read Cinder and liked it but wasn’t sure if I should continue with the story because I thought the next book was about all new characters. I’m happy to hear that the Cinder story line continues!

Comment by Alison Doherty | June 7, 2013 | Reply

11. I listened to the first book and was surprised by how much I liked it. I just started to read the arc for this book. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Comment by Wrighty | June 11, 2013 | Reply

12. Off topic – I totally LOVE that picture of Gage on the right 🙂 He is looking so so cute.

I am reading more picture books than the my books 😉

Comment by Veens | June 11, 2013 | Reply

13. nice review, I want to read this series . . . soon.

Comment by kelley | June 13, 2013 | Reply

14. Love that you’re digging it, me too. The accent thing would drive me nuts in narration so I’m kind of glad I read them. Can’t wait for round 3 with Cinder, Scarlet and the rest of the crew 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | June 18, 2013 | Reply

15. My daughter enjoyed the first, so I bought the second for her in an eBook. Glad you liked it, too.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | July 6, 2013 | Reply