The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen, I’m all caught up :(

The Peach KeeperThe Peach Keeper.Finished audio 3-25-13. 4 stars, pub. 2011

Unabridged audio 7 hours, 35 minutes. Read by Karen White who did an excellent job.

When I read Allen’s first novel, Garden Spells, I fell in love with this writer who embodies lightness and magical realism in such a beautiful way.  I love the southern charm and those moments of the supernatural in her books.  I always finish satisfied.  Once I got past that expectation I enjoyed the book for what it was, a great story of friendship among women, from one generation to the next.  Some of the whimsy was missing, but only missing because I expected it.

Wall of Water, North Carolina, is home to Willa, Paxton, and Sebastian.  Though none of them were friends in high school, Paxton and Sebastian are inseparable now.  Willa own her own store and lives a happy but quiet life.  When Paxton restores the Blue Ridge Madam, an old home important to Willa’s family, it brings a mystery that leads them both to their grandmothers, looking for answers.

I loved the friendship that forms between Willa and Paxton, much like the one their grandmothers shared many years ago.  By the end of the book I was ready to look up some of my friends from high school to see if we could be BFFs again.  I also loved how the story showed how much where and how we grow up influences who we are as adults, and not just in the obvious ways.  I moved away from home when I went to college and, except for a 5 month pit stop after I graduated, I’ve never moved back.  So, I understood when Paxton’s brother didn’t want to move back to Wall of Water, afraid he’d forever be labelled ‘Stick Man’.  And Paxton, who had never lived anywhere else, lived the opposite life, always struggling with the expectations placed on her.  There was was much to like about this story.

SAA delivers once again.  She can’t write fast enough for her fans 🙂

March 28, 2013 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I don’t always like magical realism but understand Allen is rather light handed with it. I really want to try one of her books.

Comment by BermudaOnion | March 28, 2013 | Reply

• This one had less magical realism than the others so it might be good place to start for you.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2013 | Reply

2. I also loved Garden Spells. I need to get on reading the rest of them!

Comment by hmsgofita | March 28, 2013 | Reply

3. I am like the one person on earth who is not in love with these books. I feel bad about it even! Garden Spells turned me off completely, and I’m not sure if it was the character herself or the depiction of her on audio. The Peach Keeper didn’t affect me quite as bad, but it wasn’t love either. The magical realism part of it didn’t bother me at all. *hanging head*

Comment by Sandy | March 28, 2013 | Reply

• I hate that! I always second guess myself when I really don’t ‘get’ a popular author. I spend more time wondering about it than appreciating the authors I love lots of times 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2013 | Reply

4. I’m a big fan of SAA. I hope we don’t have to wait too long for her next book. I’m ready to disappear into the next world she creates 🙂

Comment by Mary | March 28, 2013 | Reply

• I am sad that I’m all caught up. At least it gives me time to read all the others I need to try!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2013 | Reply

5. You’re killing me with your positive reviews! Between (among?) ARC’s, local authors, national authors I’ve been reading for years, and friends’ recommendations, I have no time for more new authors – except how can I pass up something that you liked so much? A real conundrum.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | March 28, 2013 | Reply

• LOL! That’s the best part of blogging. You never catch up, only fall further behind. It’s okay, it’s a good thing to have an abundance of great books to discover.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2013 | Reply

6. I agree, she can’t write fast enough. Karen White is one of my favorite narrators. I am currently listening to her read Those We Love The Most. Happy Easter!

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | March 28, 2013 | Reply

• I’m so terrible at remembering the narrators. Ineed to make a list!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2013 | Reply

7. This is on my TBR list!

Comment by Mystica | March 28, 2013 | Reply

8. I am glad you were able to enjoy it, I got a bit worried on Goodreads when you said it wasn’t grabbing you. It sounds like a lovely book.

Comment by caspette | March 29, 2013 | Reply

• It just wasn’t my favorite of hers, but still very good.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2013 | Reply

9. SAA does magical realism beautifully, I loved Garden Spells and really want to get to the rest. Lovely review 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | March 29, 2013 | Reply

10. She’s one of my favorite authors. This one wasn’t my favorite but I really liked it a lot. I will read anything she writes!!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | March 30, 2013 | Reply

11. I still haven’t read this, even though i have been wanting to for a while! I love Allen’s writing

Comment by shelleyrae @ Book'd Out | April 1, 2013 | Reply

12. I’m not big on magical realism, but everyone seems to rave about her books. Maybe I have to give them a try!

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | April 1, 2013 | Reply

• I say, give one a try! Why not? You might discover you like magical realism after all.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2013 | Reply